Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When making a call using CarPlay while driving the keypad access is limited.

I get the safety need for that. I also read that this is imposed by the car makers and is not unique to Kia cars.

Is my only option to pick up the phone to dial when prompted to make a selection such as “dial 1 for ... 2 for ...”? That defeats the purpose (and is illegal in many states).

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
236 Posts
I don't use the keypad to make calls, so I haven't come across this yet. Are you trying to dial manually instead of using the voice assistant?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't use the keypad to make calls, so I haven't come across this yet. Are you trying to dial manually instead of using the voice assistant?
I am using the voice assistant to make the call. However, when I call a store or customer service for example and I am asked by the automated system to press an extension to direct me to the place or “press 1 for English press 2 for ...” I am stuck unless I pick up the phone, but there must be another way...
I read on forums of different cars that people were complaining about it since 2016 so I am hoping there is a solution- but I haven’t figured out what it is...

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
236 Posts
I am using the voice assistant to make the call. However, when I call a store or customer service for example and I am asked by the automated system to press an extension to direct me to the place or “press 1 for English press 2 for ...” I am stuck unless I pick up the phone, but there must be another way...
I read on forums of different cars that people were complaining about it since 2016 so I am hoping there is a solution- but I haven’t figured out what it is...
Try disconnecting from Car Play and using the UVO system to make the call instead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try disconnecting from Car Play and using the UVO system to make the call instead.
Will do, but if it is a limitation set by Kia it would probably apply to UVO just as well. Regardless, I am still hoping that there is a straightforward way to do it that I have missed and someone on the forum knows.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
236 Posts
Will do, but if it is a limitation set by Kia it would probably apply to UVO just as well. Regardless, I am still hoping that there is a straightforward way to do it that I have missed and someone on the forum knows.
Kia has nothing to do with the programmed functions of Android Auto or Apple Car Play. So you might get lucky and find a different result through the UVO system. My 2014 UVO let's me access the keypad while in a call.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kia has nothing to do with the programmed functions of Android Auto or Apple Car Play. So you might get lucky and find a different result through the UVO system. My 2014 UVO let's me access the keypad while in a call.
From what I read online the change was introduced around 2016 which explains why you didn’t have an issue in your 2014 car) and depends of manufacturer’s head unit setup based on their preference. As I mentioned it is not unique to Kia. Still need to check if it is different with UVO, but it won’t be the solution for me as I rely on CarPlay for other apps, and switching back and forth is not a good option...

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
236 Posts
Still need to check if it is different with UVO, but it won’t be the solution for me as I rely on CarPlay for other apps, and switching back and forth is not a good option...
It's far more simple than you may think. You can keep your phone connected and running Car Play, but instead of calling from the CP UI, just press the phone button on your steering wheel. That should default to the bluetooth phone menu which is managed by the UVO system and make your call from there. Your music/navigation will resume through CP as soon as your call ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts