Kia Carnival Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks SK77X. Now my dealer says he got a LX+ in an 8 seater with the exact items as a EX. Is that true or just a pitch to get me in since I'm insisting on a EX?
JAN, you can compare the different trim levels here: https://www.kia.com/us/en/carnival-mpv/specs-compare

By LX+ I assume your dealer is referring to the LX with Seat Package. This trim level is still quite different to the EX trim in terms of technology features and also outside appearance. I guess there's no harm in checking out the LX just to get an idea of the size of the new Carnival and interior space & layout...and you could even drive it since there's no difference in engine between trims....but if you're keen on the EX I wouldn't let the dealer talk you into getting the LX+.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mother***** ..... they don't offer the highest trim level with 8-seats!!! I need the 8 seats, but I really wanted to full digital instrument panel, and even the dual sunroof. Now I might have to take another look at the Odyssey. Ughhh #somad
This is exactly what I want. Might need to wait until 2023 for them to figure out the options. Looks like they messed up the options!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A little clarification here. In the US, the EX, SX and SX Prestige all come with a 12.3" infotainment screen. What's unique to the SX Prestige is that the traditional instrument cluster (speedo, tach in circle shapes and a small screen between) is replaced by a fully digital 12.3" screen.
I saw a review of the Australian version and it looks like Kia had problems pulling in some features due to COVID. So it might be better to wait until 2023 8-(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw a review of the Australian version and it looks like Kia had problems pulling in some features due to COVID. So it might be better to wait until 2023 8-(
Yeah, it's really messed up. Almost feel like the design engineers think the luxury captain chairs is the most important want for minivan owners. In Australia, they were able to equip the top trim with 8 seaters but these lack the cool/heat features which the 7-seater North Americans can have. I just don;t know why they don't make the top trim here 8 seats and make a 7 seater as an add-on at extra cost for the very few folks that want them. Only Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Pacifica seem to get this right, all trims are 8 seaters (in Pacifica, the 8 seater is a no-cost option). Damn it, it is a people mover first and foremost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, it's really messed up. Almost feel like the design engineers think the luxury captain chairs is the most important want for minivan owners. In Australia, they were able to equip the top trim with 8 seaters but these lack the cool/heat features which the 7-seater North Americans can have. I just don;t know why they don't make the top trim here 8 seats and make a 7 seater as an add-on at extra cost for the very few folks that want them. Only Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Pacifica seem to get this right, all trims are 8 seaters (in Pacifica, the 8 seater is a no-cost option). Damn it, it is a people mover first and foremost.
actually inaaurate. the pacifica pinnacle is also only 7 seats, and the sienna platinum too. im assuming this is what kia was trying to compete with. and I really don't understand them all. I would assume the biggest market for minivans are actually people that want the extra seating space, its almost as if they punish the people that are transporting too many people that they don't deserve to have all the other features

·
Registered
23 Posts
actually inaaurate. the pacifica pinnacle is also only 7 seats, and the sienna platinum too. im assuming this is what kia was trying to compete with. and I really don't understand them all. I would assume the biggest market for minivans are actually people that want the extra seating space, its almost as if they punish the people that are transporting too many people that they don't deserve to have all the other features
The point I was making is that, here in Canada (I am not sure what the situation is in the US) , Honda Odyssey has consistently and predictbly offered in their top trim an 8 seater cabin, Chrysler Pacifica has offered either 7 or 8 seater (as a no-cost option in the limited trim), Toyota Sienna has offered a 7 seater; Kia on the other hand, has been very inconsistent; in the past 5 years Kia vacillated between a 7 seater or 8 seater (either with no option), they cannot seem to get it right. Either offer a 8 seater (with 7 seater luxury option) or a 7 seater (with an 8 seater option). The idea that families that want 8 seats do not want the luxury features is nonsensical.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
34 Posts
In Asian countries minivans are actually called "business cars" and only the chauffeurs and secretary set in the front seats. If you look at this from a global perspective, it's just the productization decision. I'm sure if family market leads 50% of the sales globally and SX picks up more share than EX, then we'll see a top line 8-seater in near future.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Given the pricing at or above MSRP, lack of general availability for at least the next 3 months, and key features missing or changed, we are reconsidering our purchase and postponing to next year. Hopefully by then, they will have sorted out the options and availability. I was really psyched to get the Carnival but one thing after another has led to disappointment.
speaking of disappointment - I got a phone call from Kia Customer Relations today and I’ve got to say, for someone talking to a prospective customer, I’ve never been more rudely talked to. I sent an email several weeks ago pointing out discrepancies between the media site, the brochure, and the build site. The build site has things listed for the SX P including home link mirror, lighting kits and other things you simply don’t find anywhere else. I was told that the build site is the authoritative option list and that if anything disagreed then refer to the build site. That’s when things went bad. I explained that the EC Homelink was standard on the SXP and she argued that the build site was accurate that the EC mirror doesn’t self dim and the one on the build site as an option does. I tried to argue with her that EC means auto dimming but she wouldn’t hear any of it cutting me off mid sentence several times to tell me how wrong I was. She eventually cut the conversation short and said thank you for calling Kia. I said to her that she called me.

Every new car I’ve purchased since 2000 has been a Subaru. I’ve had such excellent relationships with the folks at SOA and I was hoping for something similar potentially branching out to Kia. This company has some serious work to do if they want to build brand loyalty. The only reason why we aren’t looking at another Subaru is because we really need something much bigger than the Ascent.

Not to hikack the thread but has anyone had a particularly good experience with Kia, including corporate relations?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you get the audio on the rear entertainment screens to work? The dealership we bought them from has given me a few different methods and none have worked.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
34 Posts
How do you get the audio on the rear entertainment screens to work? The dealership we bought them from has given me a few different methods and none have worked.
After turning the rear seat monitor on, go back to drivers' seat, press media button, click the device swap icon, finally select "Rear Monitor L" or "Rear Monitor R".

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EXL, 2022 Carnival SX
49 Posts
Can you ask them if there's any possibility they give us the option of the 12.3 dash and the blind view in the sx model too. Even only as an option. Just like they have it in Canada. That way we don't need to sacrifice the 8th seat for those that need it
I have the same request.
Me three. If they offer that as an added option or a Tech package I'll reaching out to my dealership immediately to place an order. As it stands right now I'm not really willing to trade in my '17 Mazda CX-9 for the SX trim Carnival. So frustrating after the months of anticipation watching endless overseas videos and clamoring over any spy pics.
I was looking on kia.ca today. The Canadian EX+ is really appealing
It has the 12.3” instrument cluster (without the BVM)
No black wheels (I know that for some, black wheels is a plus but I don’t like it)
LED taillights (from EX and above)
8 passenger seating!
Heated steering wheel (from LX+ and above)
Auto dimming rearview mirror (from EX and above)

Although it’s missing memory seats, cooled front row seats, passenger view camera which we did get in the SX.

Go figure! What’s the logic behind it and what’s their thinking? How did they allocate the features for each trim and why are there so many differences between the CA and USA models?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
34 Posts
No black wheels (I know that for some, black wheels is a plus but I don’t like it)
8 passenger seating!

Although it’s missing memory seats, cooled front row seats, passenger view camera which we did get in the SX.

Go figure! What’s the logic behind it and what’s their thinking? How did they allocate the features for each trim and why are there so many differences between the CA and USA models?
The way to think about this is always how much you are willing to pay for each individual feature if they were separate options. And then see if you come out ahead. This is how I break down the EX-SX upgrade. It comes out to be 4000 for me, still 500 ahead of the 3500 cost.

The Cool Looks - $2000
Roof Rails
Front Fog Lights, LED
Front Grille, Matte Chrome Coating
Lower Door Accent, Black w/ Satin Chrome

Rear Seat Entertainment System - $400

Comfort - $800
Ventilated Front Seats
8-Way Power-Adjustable Passenger Seat

Convenience - $500
Surround View Monitor (SVM)
Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist, Reverse (PCA-R)
Outside Mirrors, Power-Folding
Additional USB Charging Outlets, 2nd Row (2)
115V Power Inverters (2)

Durability of Chrome - $400
Bumper Garnish, Satin Chrome
Front and Rear Skid Plate, Satin Chrome
C-Pillar Garnish, Satin Chrome
Tailgate Garnish, Satin Chrome

The "Questionable" Stuff - (-$100)
19-inch Alloy Wheels, Gloss Black

Plus the non-existent 3D Accent Trim $0

·
Registered
23 Posts
8 passenger seating!

To me, the memory seats, cooled front seats, Rear entertainment system, 4-way power Driver lumber, Parking Collision Avoidance Assist - Reverse and passenger view that the US got (in SX trim) are much more useful than the 12.3 inch IC (sans the BVM) in the equivalent Canadian EX+ trim, so Canadians got shafted.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EXL, 2022 Carnival SX
49 Posts
To me, the memory seats, cooled front seats, Rear entertainment system, 4-way power Driver lumber, Parking Collision Avoidance Assist - Reverse and passenger view that the US got (in SX trim) are much more useful than the 12.3 inch IC (sans the BVM) in the equivalent Canadian EX+ trim, so Canadians got shafted.
How about you buy a CA EX+, I’ll get a US SX and we swap? :)

61 - 76 of 76 Posts