Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll see how things go. We've had our "Carnivore" for 3 months and this morning it went into limp mode. A quick search online brought up a lot of users with really bad experiences.

I called the dealer but they're closed Saturday. I emailed the sales guy expecting a reply next week but to his credit, he got right back to me with an explanation of getting roadside assistance to tow the car to the dealership.

So I downloaded the roadside assistance app (good system), and am waiting for the next step. So far I am cautiously optimistic because they got back to me quickly on the weekend...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad you got through!! Let us know what the process is like, how it ends up.

Even though the Roadside comes with the vehicle for 5 years (or whatever) I still keep paying my CAA (In Canada), I prefer to get towed home or to a dealer near my house instead of to "the nearest Kia Dealership". I made the mistake once and let it lapse because I was covered by my credit card, I broke down (not in a Kia) in Niagara Falls (about 200km from home) and would have been stuck there on a long weekend with my car at the " nearest service station" which was closed until the next Tuesday. I called CAA, signed up over the phone and was promptly towed home. But... If I'm near my dealership, and its open, I'll definitely use the Kia service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, so far so good... I didn't see anything dispatched on the app, so called roadside, and they said the call was in but "not registered" for some reason. The very candid and helpful agent said the app isn't super reliable and a call is often needed to get the ball rolling. From there it was about an hour for a tow truck (I live a bit out in the sticks).

By 130PM I had a call saying they found a throttle sensor wire improperly routed and worked loose, and the van is ready for pickup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I have to say I'm impressed. I picked the van up Monday and all was well. I will have to say that the work order said "I did a road test" but the odometer hadn't changed... :rolleyes: but everything seems well and I certainly can't fault the speed of service. Driven all week no prob so hopefully they nailed it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh, that's simple, they drive it on the road test and then take it back and run it in reverse on the dyno until it gets back to exactly where you left it so it doesn't affect your warranty. I wish my services guys did this!! /s

Congrats on getting it back in good shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, well that escalated quickly.

Three warranty trips back to the dealer so far, and I may not be an Angry Young Man but I'm becoming a Relatively Unpleasant Old One.

Mid-January we had the same problem as above. This time, I was driving and got about a km from home. It was -27C and the van went into limp mode: 1st gear only and low RPM. I shut it off and gave it a minute and then tried again. It was running really bad but we got home. Once again roadside assistance got the van to the dealer. This time, the service manager said there was a known issue, possibly with condensation in the throttle body. Said Kia's working on a solution and in the meantime, let the car warm up for 5 minutes. Eventually, he said, there's bound t be a recall or service bulletin as he's had a handful of similar issues.

Last week it happened again, but this time from start-up the van ran badly. We're now at 15000 km and we'll exhaust the warranty in 2 more winters. Not happy. This time, they removed the throttle body while the van was still cold and found it full of ice. Service explained candidly that the design is really bad, allowing ice build up like an old carb and that the old design had a coolant line running through it to warm the throttle body up. Say's he'll "get up the Kia rep's a$$" about the issue.

This is all very well and good but I'm stuck with a bad design that will be out of warranty in 2 years. After 30 years of old cars and a half-dozen dodge minivans that all ran to > 300K, I'm very disappointed. I opened a Kia.ca customer service ticket but so far no news.

I happen to be the quality manager for a tier-1 automotive supplier.I have this to say, in case anyone from Kia is listening.

• This is Canada. Test accordingly.
  • Fix your roadside assistance app. Three times it has promised dispatch within an hour,and three times I've called and found that the call was not registered from the app: a phone call is required.
  • This problem has happened on several vehicles, multiple times. Get a service bulletin out faster.
  • Figure out a way to deliver the vehicle back to me at no charge after warranty service. The time and cost of having to go pick it up is getting to be more than the cost of parts must be.
  • Don't promise 48 hour response to customer service tickets and then wait a week (and counting) to respond
  • Did I mention this is Canada?

I otherwise love the van and the dealer's service - but having a lemon that could leave my family stranded at -27 with a roadside assistance app that doesn't work, is a showstopper. Unfortunately at this point you've lost a customer and have gained a negative ambassador.

People, if you live in a cold country avoid this piece of under-engineered garbage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.