Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife picked up the SX Prestige. She said during her first few drives that when in cruise control, the car would stop for traffic. But it wouldn't start again. She would have to step on the gas. Is this true? If it is, it's very disappointing. Her 2018 Subaru Crosstrek had the stop and go cruise. Even in heavy traffic, it works flawlessly. I've not yet tested so I'd figure I'd ask in here since there isn't heavy traffic where we drive.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
I've never tried it in stop and go traffic. The system breaks so aggressively anyway, I'd hate to use it in heavy traffic as it would be such a jerky ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, you have to tap the gas pedal if the vehicle comes to a complete stop and then it takes over. I think it’s a safety mechanism to show you are still paying attention.

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
Only if you stop for a certain length of time will it disable and require you to push the gas pedal or the pause button on the steering wheel to start again. For shorter stop and go's it works as expected. It's fairly easy to rest your thumb on the button and just hit the pause button periodically after it shuts down to re-enable it. It won't go until it's safe though. Our Subaru was very similar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. If this is the case, we will both be disappointed. The Crosstrek does this and it's over 3 years old. I am not sure how this thing have to do with safety. You still need to steer the car. The stop and go features are designed so you don't have to apply brakes and accelerator 100s of time during rush hour. If the car stops in front, you stop. If the car goes, it goes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. So you may be wrong. Kia does have stop and go adaptive cruise. It only gets disabled when the car stops for more than 3 seconds. If the traffic is crawling, it will crawl. If it stops for a few seconds then resume, the Kia will stop and then go, hence the name stop and go. If it stops more than 3 seconds, you can reengage by pressing gas or press Resume button.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
OK. So you may be wrong. Kia does have stop and go adaptive cruise. It only gets disabled when the car stops for more than 3 seconds. If the traffic is crawling, it will crawl. If it stops for a few seconds then resume, the Kia will stop and then go, hence the name stop and go. If it stops more than 3 seconds, you can reengage by pressing gas or press Resume button.
So, I believe you, and I'm sure it works in some scenarios, but I was using the adaptive cruise control on the freeway yesterday and wanted to see how it would do as I neared an area where traffic always comes to a crawl. My speed was set to 65 mph and traffic ahead of me was breaking. I expected the car to see this and slow down accordingly, but instead of applying the breaks, it flashed the forward collision warning and I pressed the break to stop. This automatically disengages cruise control.

Does the stop and go function only work for "gentle" slow downs? And if so, how does it resume below 35 mph if I can't even activate CC below 35 mph?

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
What was your follow distance set to? If it was set to the shortest then I could definitely see circumstances where the FCW system would override any adaptive cruise control setting with a sudden stop in traffic. In a similar situation, I have had traffic come to a halt without the FCW system kicking in but at the same time I saw traffic slowing down and would purposely increase the follow distance so it would be more a of a gentle slowdown rather than a screeching stop.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah...that's a little disturbing that you set cruise and instead of slowing down by itself, you need to apply the brakes. That's a bit unsettling. To be honest, we've not driven this in bumper to bumper traffic yet. Saturday, we took it for our longest drive yet (45 minutes). We had cruise on and it constantly adjusted speed/braking. We never came to a complete stop, but it slowed from 75 to about 50 during a stretch where there were some congestion.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
What was your follow distance set to? If it was set to the shortest then I could definitely see circumstances where the FCW system would override any adaptive cruise control setting with a sudden stop in traffic. In a similar situation, I have had traffic come to a halt without the FCW system kicking in but at the same time I saw traffic slowing down and would purposely increase the follow distance so it would be more a of a gentle slowdown rather than a screeching stop.
This is a great point. I had it set to the shortest follow distance. A longer following distance would have likely given the system more time to react, but I still question how reasonable it is to use CC in stop/go traffic since you can't activate it below 35 mph. Seems like a contradicting programming philosophy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a great point. I had it set to the shortest follow distance. A longer following distance would have likely given the system more time to react, but I still question how reasonable it is to use CC in stop/go traffic since you can't activate it below 35 mph. Seems like a contradicting programming philosophy.
I’m not sure where you’re getting 35 mph.

From page 5-129 of your manual:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using this adaptive cruise in deadly Los Angeles traffic daily for over 6K miles. It's absolutely awesome. It makes insane traffic almost bearable.

If I had one complaint It cannot predict traffic stops as well as a driver can do. Sometimes I see the traffic at complete stand still in the distance, and Kia keeps accelerating because the road is clear directly in the front. Then it has to brake really hard. I think it's something that will eventually be improved with better algorithms.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's my biggest complaint with my wife's Subaru and this Carnival. With Radar, lasers, cameras, etc. , You'd figure it would see a wall in front of it, even if it's 500 ft away. Then it would let off the gas and let it coast.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
That's my biggest complaint with my wife's Subaru and this Carnival. With Radar, lasers, cameras, etc. , You'd figure it would see a wall in front of it, even if it's 500 ft away. Then it would let off the gas and let it coast.
There seems to be no coasting programmed into this car. It's either gas or brake - very annoying to feel the car braking when approaching another car going 1 mph slower than my cruise control setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something I also noticed is that even with the distance setting at it max distance, in city limits with stop and go traffic, it gets really close to the car ahead of us. I owned a honda CRV before and it did a great job at maintaining a safe distance in even stop and go traffic. The carnival does a great job on the freeways though. But it would be nice to fix this issue to maintain a safe distance even at slower speeds and stop at a safe distance form the vehicle in front.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Something I also noticed is that even with the distance setting at it max distance, in city limits with stop and go traffic, it gets really close to the car ahead of us. I owned a honda CRV before and it did a great job at maintaining a safe distance in even stop and go traffic. The carnival does a great job on the freeways though. But it would be nice to fix this issue to maintain a safe distance even at slower speeds and stop at a safe distance form the vehicle in front.
Adaptive cruise control set on 50 (speed limit) , distance set to 3, driving on local highway that has lights from time to time. System worked perfectly, slowing down gently and stoping behind other cars at lights. The car would prompt me to re-initiate the drive by a touch of the pedal or the button on the wheel and resumed to drive at the speed limit (see pic). Couldn't be happier. Only complaint is that it accelerates very slowly to reach 50, not enough to annoy drivers behind me, but way slower than I drive. Good for MPG, but require me to meditate while it does that and relax...:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts