Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting Android Auto to work well on my 2022 Carnival SX Prestige. When I wired-connect, it doesn't take up the entire center infotainment 12.3in screen and looks really blurry. I also can't seem to connect wirelessly to the screen at all. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to resolve it? Not seeing a software update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm having trouble getting Android Auto to work well on my 2022 Carnival SX Prestige. When I wired-connect, it doesn't take up the entire center infotainment 12.3in screen and looks really blurry. I also can't seem to connect wirelessly to the screen at all. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to resolve it? Not seeing a software update.
First of all, Android Auto will not connect wirelessly because your infotainment system does not support wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Currently, the only Hyundai/Kia infotainment systems that support wireless phone projection operation are newer 8” units (like the one in the Carnival LX). Your only option for AA on your model is to plug in or to buy a wireless adapter.

As for the display, I haven’t yet seen Android Auto utilize the full screen on any Hyundai/Kia widescreen units (despite the fact that CarPlay has from the beginning). Theoretically that shortcoming could be fixed in software, but it hasn’t happened yet after several years, so I’m skeptical of whether or not they will remedy it. Right now, the most important thing you can do is make sure you enable split screen functionality (setup > device connections > Android Auto) so you are at least not wasting that right 1/3 of the screen and are using it to show the stock Kia elements (map, weather, compass, etc) rather than nothing. And when you say it’s blurry, it may be because the system is requesting a certain resolution from the device and upscaling it to the larger 12.3” screen, causing it to not be super clear. But I’m not positive about that, and again, nothing that can be done about it other than hope it’s remedied with a future navigation system update.

Reactions: UN-Limited

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That's extremely disappointing that the more premium package doesn't support the greater feature. Have you or anyone else successfully connected the wireless adapter to the carnival?

Your explanation about the requested screen size and upscale makes sense, but, again, frustrating for a premium package. The full resolution of the display could also not supported by Android auto itself though not just Kia's software. I'll have to research that. May be a new resolution size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow. That's extremely disappointing that the more premium package doesn't support the greater feature. Have you or anyone else successfully connected the wireless adapter to the carnival?

Your explanation about the requested screen size and upscale makes sense, but, again, frustrating for a premium package. The full resolution of the display could also not supported by Android auto itself though not just Kia's software. I'll have to research that. May be a new resolution size.
While it’s unfortunate this feature hasn’t made its way to Kia’s larger infotainment screens like the ones on the Carnival EX, SX, and SX Prestige, it can’t be truly disappointing because those models aren’t advertised as supporting it. Just a little bit of research and spec sheet reading will reveal that.

I do not have my own AA Wireless adapter yet, I didn’t buy one when the campaign started since my primary device is an iPhone, so I didn’t think it was worthwhile (I have a CarPlay2Air adapter to enable wireless CarPlay with my iPhone). I since changed my mind and ordered one to test out with my Pixel since so many people ask about it in the Telluride and Palisade groups. AA Wireless has been noted to be working with the 10.25” infotainment system on the Telluride and Palisade, so should operate just fine with the Carnival 12.3” system (which is identical save for physical size).

Regarding resolution, Google began providing support for oddly-shaped (e.g., widescreen) infotainment setups soon after the first Hyundai/Kia 10.25” units began shipping (the 2020 Kia Telluride and Hyundai Sonata, followed soon by the Palisade, were the first to get that system in early 2019). Of course, those units (and all of them thereafter) act like the only possibility for AA is the old-style non-widescreen rectangle. And since CarPlay did support oddly-shaped screens at the time, every Telluride, Sonata, Palisade, and subsequent vehicle with this system does support CarPlay taking up the entire screen. That’s why I say that in theory, a simple software update is all that is needed to tell them that they can look for varying resolutions of Android Auto (including widescreen if the split screen function is disabled). Unfortunately, I’m becoming more and more skeptical that this will happen, since four software updates have come and gone with no changes on the AA front. Nothing may happen until they completely revamp the system to add wireless CarPlay/AA, but of course that would be of no help to anyone who already bought a vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've used Android Auto on my SX-P a few times now. No issues when it comes to resolution. Knew it wouldn't take up the whole screen ahead of time. Hoping they update that in the future though!

Knew about the wireless vs wired capabilities for certain models so no complaints there.

All in all, works perfectly fine for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have AA Wireless Adapter on my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, it works like a dream, No issues at all, just leave it plugged into your data USB port, it takes care of the wireless connection each time I start the car (make sure you have bluetooth enabled on your Android device). I am never going back to wired conection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have also noticed the low resolution. From everything I have read Kia will need to update the system to use the higher resolution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not complaining about my purchase because they didn't advertise it, but I can still be disappointed in Kia not including it standard in their highest trim level that is supposed to be the works. Thank you for the suggestions, however, I'll look into the wireless adapter and hope for a software update for the resolution issue.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX Prestige
45 Posts
I'm experiencing something worse, my AA does not connect at all to the car. I will change the cable and try again tomorrow, but it's very annoying not to be able to connect a simple device to the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm experiencing something worse, my AA does not connect at all to the car. I will change the cable and try again tomorrow, but it's very annoying not to be able to connect a simple device to the car.
Is Android Auto enabled in the setup menu on your Car infortainment display settings? I find this odd.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is Android Auto enabled in the setup menu on your Car infortainment display settings? I find this odd.
Yeah, it's very odd. I've following instructions from the videos in the UVO app, the user manual, tried multiple times, checking the AA in my Galaxy Note and nothing, only thing left is changing the cable and try again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, it's very odd. I've following instructions from the videos in the UVO app, the user manual, tried multiple times, checking the AA in my Galaxy Note and nothing, only thing left is changing the cable and try again.
After changing the USB cable it's working. Interesting that I was having issues using the original Samsung cable. But the issue is fixed now.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
397 Posts
Just dropping in to say that I can confirm the Android Auto apps appear to be very low resolution when displayed on the 12" screen. The edges of app icons are visibly jagged and pixelated. It doesn't look right at all. This is my first AA compatible car, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but this can't be right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just dropping in to say that I can confirm the Android Auto apps appear to be very low resolution when displayed on the 12" screen. The edges are visibly jagged and pixelated. It doesn't look right at all. This is my first AA compatible car, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but this can't be right.
In my case I'm not experiencing this at all, the AA is working perfectly. I bought a high performance USB cable as Google recommends in case of issues with the platform and the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my case I'm not experiencing this at all, the AA is working perfectly. I bought a high performance USB cable as Google recommends in case of issues with the platform and the car.
Amy chance you could post a photo of your Android auto screen? I too have miserably low resolution and I'd like to see what's possible on the SX-P.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
397 Posts
Unfortunately, you have the exact same poor resolution we are experiencing. The maps and music UI is fine, but the main home screen shows app icons with pixelated/jagged edges and it doesn't look nearly as crisp as one would expect in 2021. I can only hope Kia updates our firmware to support the latest Android Auto widescreen API's and maybe it'll help the resolution too.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
397 Posts
I have AA Wireless Adapter on my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, it works like a dream, No issues at all, just leave it plugged into your data USB port, it takes care of the wireless connection each time I start the car (make sure you have bluetooth enabled on your Android device). I am never going back to wired conection.

How much battery does it drain when connected wirelessly? Being connected via wire ensures that my phone gets charged. And the wireless charger dumps way too much heat into the phone for my taste.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts