Kia Carnival Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
569 Posts
Is this a Kia limitation or an AA limitation? (i.e. do other manufacturers have this limitation?) For CarPlay we get a beautiful full resolution widescreen display.
From everything I've read, it's on a Kia to update the system firmware to support the latest AA API which enabled widescreen mode... which is why I'm frustrated. Phone mirroring was supposed to remove the update responsibility from the OEM and let your phone do all the heavy lifting. We were misled. 😑

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just wanted to add to this thread since the new April 2022 infotainment update is out… it allows for full screen Android Auto now, for those that desire it.

Note that doesn’t mean any individual app will take up the whole screen, that’s not how Google has decided to handle large screens. But as long as you use your phone for maps and audio in your car, it gives you a much better experience.

Here is it on my Telluride… it’ll look identical on a Carnival, just bigger.
Audio equipment Gadget Font Display device Electronic device

• Love
Reactions: UN-Limited

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just wanted to add to this thread since the new April 2022 infotainment update is out… it allows for full screen Android Auto now, for those that desire it.
Just curious... how did you know there was an update? I have the updater and recently updated but not to this version. Is there some notification service you have or an email or what? Just curious!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just curious... how did you know there was an update? I have the updater and recently updated but not to this version. Is there some notification service you have or an email or what? Just curious!
They typically release updates twice per year (April and November), so it was due.

Usually they’ll tell you a few weeks ahead on the shipping website (Mapnsoft), in their FAQ section.

Otherwise, you can always check back at the Kia update site.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
569 Posts

Note that doesn’t mean any individual app will take up the whole screen, that’s not how Google has decided to handle large screens. But as long as you use your phone for maps and audio in your car, it gives you a much better experience.

Here is it on my Telluride… it’ll look identical on a Carnival, just bigger.
View attachment 789
Game changer! I'm going home to install this TODAY!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
569 Posts
And now I'm officially annoyed 🤬

I updated the firmware and after nearly 2 hours of downloading and installing, I still don't have widescreen Android auto, and the really nice looking old school tube radio UI got replaced with some low quality crap that looks like it came from my 2014 Optima.

Gadget Plant Audio equipment Multimedia Electronic device

·
Registered
42 Posts
And now I'm officially annoyed 🤬

I updated the firmware and after nearly 2 hours of downloading and installing, I still don't have widescreen Android auto, and the really nice looking old school tube radio UI got replaced with some low quality crap that looks like it came from my 2014 Optima.

View attachment 794
To make sure you’re getting the widescreen Android Auto, you need go into settings to turn off the Kia split screen.

Setup > device connections > phone projection / Android Auto. Uncheck “use split screen.” Now AA will utilize the whole screen and look as I posted above.

The radio tubes, introduced four updates ago in November 2020, were one of the most universally hated aspects of the infotainment system. Of course, not everyone hated them… but most did. I personally didn’t care either way because I don’t listen to the radio and never see them.

Good news is, you can reorder your presets now! 😊

Reactions: UN-Limited

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
569 Posts
To make sure you’re getting the widescreen Android Auto, you need go into settings to turn off the Kia split screen.

Setup > device connections > phone projection / Android Auto. Uncheck “use split screen.” Now AA will utilize the whole screen and look as I posted above.

The radio tubes, introduced four updates ago in November 2020, were one of the most universally hated aspects of the infotainment system. Of course, not everyone hated them… but most did. I personally didn’t care either way because I don’t listen to the radio and never see them.

Good news is, you can reorder your presets now! 😊
Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic device Auto part Multimedia

Human nature is to react negatively to change, so I can see how others hated the tubes and people who only knew the tubes hate the current UI. But I gotta say, this new UI just looks like a massive waste of screen real estate to me. The old UI would show at least 6 presets while this one only shows 3. This requires the driver to perform additional scrolling gestures while driving and that just doesn't seem as safe. Yes, I know you can cycle through presets from the steering wheel controls, but going directly to your desired selection is faster. I will admit... being able to reorder presets now is nice though!

And thanks for the settings recommendation. I should have thought of that. 😊

Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile device

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts