Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to take the cheaper route and get the EX which has all the features I need but not the roof rails so I can mount a roof rack. Does anyone know if the roof rails or some raised rail can be added so that I can mount a roof rack of some type on the naked roof? Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd love to know this as well. We just bought our EX for the same reason as you, all the features we want except the roof rails. Judging by other vans though, this is a factory installed option that comes with the bracing and drilled holes and isn't something you can add later, without drastic alterations of course lol. Honda and Toyota both limit the roof rails to high spec models, it's annoying that Kia followed suite with the Carnival.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m searching too. Aftermarket will come up wih something. Probably aren’t too many second-hand roof rails in junk yards to choose from just yet- haha. Body shops should have access to part numbers at some point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an EX and am planning on adding roof rails as soon as they are offered (OEM or aftermarket). There are two strips running the length of the roof that I’m sure will need to be removed, cut in a few sections, and snapped back into place. Not as daunting as it sounds, I did it on an odyssey and I’d imagine it’s a similar process.

I’m going to send a quick note to my service dept. now and will let everyone know if there’s an OEM option coming down the road at some point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an EX and am planning on adding roof rails as soon as they are offered (OEM or aftermarket). There are two strips running the length of the roof that I’m sure will need to be removed, cut in a few sections, and snapped back into place. Not as daunting as it sounds, I did it on an odyssey and I’d imagine it’s a similar process.

I’m going to send a quick note to my service dept. now and will let everyone know if there’s an OEM option coming down the road at some point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had two Kia parts departments indicate that there is not a retrofit kit for the vans that weren’t equipped at the factory with the rails. I didn’t think to ask if they expect the situation to change in the foreseeable future.

There was a different post on the forum from a gent who said he had peeked under the trim strips. I believe he found that indentures existed (where to drill?), but no mounting holes were present for the rails.

I’m hopeful for the future aftermarket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I received a reply from an inquiry made with Thule. They are in the process of testing the Carnival in all models and say they will be updating their website accordingly in 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While not (yet) a Carnival owner, I have also been researching whether or not rails can be added to the US Spec Carnival EX, or what aftermarket options might exist. I stumbled across this, and it seems like a good option for myself or anyone else who might only need an occasional rooftop carrying option: Seasucker Monkeybars. Monkey Bars and to this, you can add bike/ski/snowboard/cargo box attachments. Reviews seem to be confidence inspiring as well. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
While not (yet) a Carnival owner, I have also been researching whether or not rails can be added to the US Spec Carnival EX, or what aftermarket options might exist. I stumbled across this, and it seems like a good option for myself or anyone else who might only need an occasional rooftop carrying option: Seasucker Monkeybars. Monkey Bars and to this, you can add bike/ski/snowboard/cargo box attachments. Reviews seem to be confidence inspiring as well. :)
Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had two Kia parts departments indicate that there is not a retrofit kit for the vans that weren’t equipped at the factory with the rails. I didn’t think to ask if they expect the situation to change in the foreseeable future.

There was a different post on the forum from a gent who said he had peeked under the trim strips. I believe he found that indentures existed (where to drill?), but no mounting holes were present for the rails.

I’m hopeful for the future aftermarket.
That was me. I very carefully lifted up the black strips to see what was under there. I saw indentions but no holes for a rack. I was hoping for holes with removable plugs to install a factory rack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. I'm so confused about it though. When you go to build your vehicle on the Kia site, it gives the option to add crossbars to the EX. None of the dealerships I have called have been able to give an answer about that and if it's possible to add those without the roof rack. Following for updates!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Don't want the rear seat screens so EX is the way to go but I want the roof rack. 🤔 Following.
You can remove the rear screens in about 10 minutes with a phillips head screwdriver. I know it sucks to pay for something you don't want, but that's the way it is with all trims. I live in Texas and will use the heated seats maybe once or twice in a year, but I had to get the SX to get the ventilated seats that I use every day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I visited 4 dealers across three counties in South Florida in the last two days. The floor sales people are clueless about the rails on the EX. It seems they are mostly clueless about this car in general. One insisted that "MPV" is one of the trims (!) when I was showing him the financing offers on the Kia Website. Quote: "That's not an offer for the EX, it's for the MPV."

The sales manager at the last dealer finally realized he couldn't add the cross bars as an option when placing the order for the car to be built, even though the Kia Website allows them to be added. I asked if the rails can be added post-sale and they couldn't answer me.

Thanks to user 2010GTR for reporting that there no factory drilled holes. Let's hope there will be an after-market solution soon.

I looked at the Monkey Bars that someone posted here. I'm iffy about using suction cups to hold anything on top of a moving car. I couldn't find any reviews for them, either. If anyone is brave enough to give it a shot, please share your experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No updates shown on the Thule website to include the Carnival yet. I had made earlier mention that Thule was testing roof rack product and expected to update their site in three weeks to include the Carnival (which was a month ago). I’ve personally changed direction and gone with an Odyssey (familiarity, wife’s preference).

I still would bet Thule will eventually have a solution for the Carnival non-factory-installed roof rail group. I imagine Thule and others will decide it’s too big a sales opportunity to ignore if Kia doesn’t (eventually) step up and offer a retrofit or decides to think that offering a basic, viable roof rack is a reasonable way to up-sell (much) higher priced trim levels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here! I bought an EX months back and asked the dealer to include the roof rails in the sale. Once I received the part I realized I couldn’t install myself and they referred me to a collision service who they thought could drill and attach them. The collision service said they wouldn’t do it because they see too many problems with leaks after you drill into the roof. So I’m trying to contact Kia to see if there is any option and why they even sell the part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same issue here! I bought an EX months back and asked the dealer to include the roof rails in the sale. Once I received the part I realized I couldn’t install myself and they referred me to a collision service who they thought could drill and attach them. The collision service said they wouldn’t do it because they see too many problems with leaks after you drill into the roof. So I’m trying to contact Kia to see if there is any option and why they even sell the part.
I did contact a couple dealers and the parts departments too without success. There is not a retrofit kit. At this point Kia is simply using the roof rail option as “motivation” to choose the more expensive trim levels with lots of goodies you (in my opinion) wisely rejected. I personally think “it’s a minivan” and should above all else have the ability to be operationally practical. A roof rack option should be a no brainer for any minivan. I do think the aftermarket will have a solution in time. And if you live in a large enough city, I would suggest looking for a company that specializes in installing aftermarket parts for trucks and RVs. Obviously check their reputation as best possible. Ask them, as they examine your actual van, to explain how they will install an aftermarket solution that gives you confidence water penetration will be a very unlikely future event.
And congratulations on your vehicle!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a parts number for the roof rail and or pic?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts