Kia Carnival Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone discovered a solution for getting roof rails on an EX Carnival. It’s the one thing holding me back from switching over to hunting down a Carnival (we also need 8-seats, so an SX with rails isn’t an option).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone discovered a solution for getting roof rails on an EX Carnival. It’s the one thing holding me back from switching over to hunting down a Carnival (we also need 8-seats, so an SX with rails isn’t an option).
No sir. No remedy found for the EX. Suggest you bother the aftermarket manufacturers directly to see where they are. Also, if you are in a reasonably sized town check with businesses that modify trucks and minivans for a living (hitches, roof racks, etc). A reputable well reviewed business in your area who installs racks for a living is the only place I would consider for install of an aftermarket rack. In our case we ultimately went went with a Honda, but I was favorably impressed with the Carnival. The EX is indeed the sweet spot in my humble opinion. We were really close to purchasing one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No sir. No remedy found for the EX. Suggest you bother the aftermarket manufacturers directly to see where they are. Also, if you are in a reasonably sized town check with businesses that modify trucks and minivans for a living (hitches, roof racks, etc). A reputable well reviewed business in your area who installs racks for a living is the only place I would consider for install of an aftermarket rack. In our case we ultimately went went with a Honda, but I was favorably impressed with the Carnival. The EX is indeed the sweet spot in my humble opinion. We were really close to purchasing one.
That’s too bad. Even with a reputable aftermarket installer, I don’t know that I’d have the courage to have someone drill holes, put weight where it may not be designed to go, and almost certainly void the paint and rust warranty on my new $40,000 van.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just to clarify, the SX has roof rails and 8 seats, and could be an option you if it is within your budget. It is the SX Prestige or SXP that has roof rails and only comes with 7 seats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That’s too bad. Even with a reputable aftermarket installer, I don’t know that I’d have the courage to have someone drill holes, put weight where it may not be designed to go, and almost certainly void the paint and rust warranty on my new $40,000 van.
If your installer won’t warranty their install work you shouldn’t bother. You can also put a hitch on the back and carry things with a rear shelf (easier to access too).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to clarify, the SX has roof rails and 8 seats, and could be an option you if it is within your budget. It is the SX Prestige or SXP that has roof rails and only comes with 7 seats.
Wait, it does??? The dealer I was working with didn’t say it did, nor did the Kia website configurator seem to allow it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your installer won’t warranty their install work you shouldn’t bother. You can also put a hitch on the back and carry things with a rear shelf (easier to access too).
A warranty from an individual shop or even a chain isn’t really that much a sure thing, though. There’s some decent risk they simply go out of business, and then there’s the issue that this van will likely end up moving to the other end of the country in a few years.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well I’ll be. This really made my day. Thanks. Now to find one…
Happy to help. If only all of our questions and issues in this forum were that easy to solve :)

I would start by finding a different dealer for a source of information. Many of us on this on this forum have learned that often sales people at dealerships are not knowledgeable and informed about the Carnival as it is so new. If you search this forum you will find answers to many questions you will have on your journey before and after you buy your car. If you can’t find an answer feel free to post more questions. We are all here to help each other!
Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happy to help. If only all of our questions and issues in this forum were that easy to solve :)

I would start by finding a different dealer for a source of information. Many of us on this on this forum have learned that often sales people at dealerships are not knowledgeable and informed about the Carnival as it is so new. If you search this forum you will find answers to many questions you will have on your journey before and after you buy your car. If you can’t find an answer feel free to post more questions. We are all here to help each other!
Good luck!
Aside from local north texas dealers who seem to be almost universally slime balls, I most recently was referred by Costco Auto to a Colorado Springs dealer, who incredibly is the closest participating dealer.

Aside from not knowing that the SX could be 8-passenger, he seemed alright. They barely have a discount, but at least they aren’t selling over MSRP. Still, they have no Carnivals to sell and it’s a 3-4 month wait for orders.

I’m coming from hunting Siennas for the past few weeks. It’s a bleak situation on the Toyota side, with the supply now nearly dried up completely for a while with the plant shutdown, and orders not even possible. I’m not sure what the Carnival production and availability situation has been. Are there any Costco Auto dealers, or otherwise, with decent discounts?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Aside from local north texas dealers who seem to be almost universally slime balls, I most recently was referred by Costco Auto to a Colorado Springs dealer, who incredibly is the closest participating dealer.

Aside from not knowing that the SX could be 8-passenger, he seemed alright. They barely have a discount, but at least they aren’t selling over MSRP. Still, they have no Carnivals to sell and it’s a 3-4 month wait for orders.

I’m coming from hunting Siennas for the past few weeks. It’s a bleak situation on the Toyota side, with the supply now nearly dried up completely for a while with the plant shutdown, and orders not even possible. I’m not sure what the Carnival production and availability situation has been. Are there any Costco Auto dealers, or otherwise, with decent discounts?
I love the Costco Auto Program.
Remember that all accessories at the dealership through Costco are 15% off regardless of where you bought the car, and if you buy it from the Costco dealership Costco will also add a few hundred $ towards accessories.
if they have the car you want, buy it from them. As I said many of us knew about the car more than the people who sold it to us…

·
Registered
12 Posts
A warranty from an individual shop or even a chain isn’t really that much a sure thing, though. There’s some decent risk they simply go out of business, and then there’s the issue that this van will likely end up moving to the other end of the country in a few years.
Yes, such is life. Risk level and reward. I’m sure you will find your preference. Interviewing the installer with respect to the details of the install (prevention of water intrusion /limiting vibration) might improve your confidence in the outcome or ease your mind, but I kind of doubt it will. If you keep a vehicle long enough, your sunroof will also one day become a service item.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a Kia Sales Associate. The reason that roof rails cannot be retrofitted is due to the side curtain airbags. Drilling into the roof where the rails would go will interfere with the airbag system. They design the SX's a little differently to be able to host a roof rail system. It think it is stupid that you cannot add roof rails to the lower trims, but at least there is a reason for it other than forcing people to opt into the top trim level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a Kia Sales Associate. The reason that roof rails cannot be retrofitted is due to the side curtain airbags. Drilling into the roof where the rails would go will interfere with the airbag system. They design the SX's a little differently to be able to host a roof rail system. It think it is stupid that you cannot add roof rails to the lower trims, but at least there is a reason for it other than forcing people to opt into the top trim level.
Thank you for the info. The rationale actually makes it seem even more likely (in my opinion), that Kia is “encouraging” purchase of the higher priced trim levels. By creating/leaving a safety issue for the EX and lower trim buyers, should an aftermarket set of rails be installed, Kia helps prevent the aftermarket from assisting owners. The bottom and sad line is Kia is preventing a basic functionality in their product. If Kia was able to simply move wiring or other airbag apparatus for the upper trim levels, it seems more than a little odd they wouldn’t simply do the same relocation across the board?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the info. At least now those who choose to buy a lower level know exactly what they are getting. I personally will hold out a year and hope next years model will have roof rails on the lower trims. They have roof rails on lower trims in Canada but not USA, so frustrating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the info. At least now those who choose to buy a lower level know exactly what they are getting. I personally will hold out a year and hope next years model will have roof rails on the lower trims. They have roof rails on lower trims in Canada but not USA, so frustrating.
Yes. Definitely appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am new here, also interested buying EX & add roof rails later, and I was heavily researching and ended up here. I found couple of interesting Youtube clips (mechanics removed OEM roof rails from Carnival in Korea and installing Thule racks with R9 base support, they both said that OEM roof rails are flimsy and not strong enough to hold anything), at least you can see how rails are attached

Anyway, I noticed that all Kia Carnival models in Korea have roof rails installed as default, and I got mad and so angry when I started to compare pricing between Korea & US. Carnivals are much cheaper in Korea with well equipped options, even adding options are cheaper

Example 1 : Snow white pearl is costing $495 in US, it is only 80,000 KRW = less than $70 in Korea
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

Example 2 : adding Dual sunroof is only 850,000 KRW = $720 USD, but in US, dual sunroof is available on SX only
Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Paper product

So, in Korea, price range is from 31,800,000 KRW to 43,400,000 KRW (approximately $27,000 to $36,800)
and it is obvious that Carnivals in US are expensive with less options....

FYI, below is Kia website in Korean (Btw, it is in Korean only, luckily I can read & speak Korean)

Overall, I hope that Kia will realize US consumers are smart, so we can expect to add roof rails as simple option next year.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts