Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy an SX or EX+ (Canada). The main question I have is how accessible is the third row with the captains chairs? They don't look like they move much. We will have forward facing car seats in them as well, if that makes a difference. If they are an issue, I wouldn't mind moving to the EX+, losing the sun/moonroof stings a little bit though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They're not that accessible. You have to enter from between the chairs if you're an adult. Children can squeeze behind. I would prefer collapsing chairs or ones that moved easier. You do have controls to move them but they are the inside of the chair which is not helpful when you're entering from the outside.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
The EX+ in Canada is the best package IMO. The bench seat is not REALLY a bench seat since each seat can move independently. The dentist chairs in the SX are just ridiculous to me. They are a gimmick and they negate the benefits of owning a minivan. They make it harder to get into the back row and they don't come out when you need to carry more cargo. AND they are slow when you need to move them out of the way. Stick with the EX+ and pocket the savings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah that's unfortunate, an SX with a bench instead of captains would be the dream. EX+ it is then!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the SX, and am in Canada, I have 2 teenagers, me and my wife, that's all we needed. I keep the 3rd row stowed, and have since I bought it. The configuration is a perfect fit for us. That being said, the second row seats move back and forth quite a bit and also move side to side when they are not all the way back so you do get a walkway between the seats if they are both shifted towards the outer doors. I'd suggest taking your seats to the dealership (leave the kids at home with Grandma if possible) and try it out. While it might not be a perfect fit for the few years they are in the seats, as they grow older those seats will become much more useful. Once they move to boosters and beyond, you'll be using the 2nd row with all the "gimmicky" (lol) features.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The EX+ in Canada is the best package IMO. The bench seat is not REALLY a bench seat since each seat can move independently. The dentist chairs in the SX are just ridiculous to me. They are a gimmick and they negate the benefits of owning a minivan. They make it harder to get into the back row and they don't come out when you need to carry more cargo. AND they are slow when you need to move them out of the way. Stick with the EX+ and pocket the savings.
Totally agree, EX+ is already good enough.

I brought SX just because the dealers in my area only had EX and SX in their stock (probably their sales strategy), while one of them got the SX with the color I like and I can take it back home within a week.

Anyway, I still happy with my SX.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really like the look of the EX+, though we have 3 little kids so the bench is ideal and the captains chairs would be a waste.

Beyond this captain chairs, the main difference that caught my eye was an additional reversing safety feature the SX had. I don’t care about the Bose stereo.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
I really like the look of the EX+, though we have 3 little kids so the bench is ideal and the captains chairs would be a waste.

Beyond this captain chairs, the main difference that caught my eye was an additional reversing safety feature the SX had. I don’t care about the Bose stereo.
I'd like to hear the Bose version next to the standard and see if there really is a difference or if Kia is just charging extra for the branding. The base version is actually pretty decent, though could definitely benefit from a dedicated subwoofer in the system to make the lows sound a little smoother. Bass from door speakers always sounds a bit forced to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd like to hear the Bose version next to the standard and see if there really is a difference or if Kia is just charging extra for the branding. The base version is actually pretty decent, though could definitely benefit from a dedicated subwoofer in the system to make the lows sound a little smoother. Bass from door speakers always sounds a bit forced to me.
From what I hear, the base speakers are pretty good, should suffice for non audiophiles. I have 2 teenagers too but I regularly move the 2nd row seats to maximize cargo space, this is where the SX really falls short. I really want the configurable 7 or 8 seats, cannot be the inflexible Dentist chairs; at the same time I would like the memory settings and cooled front seats, the dual sunroofs and the Parking Collision Avoidance Assist that only comes in the top SX trim. So, going for the SX, as presently configured, is a poison pill to me.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
From what I hear, the base speakers are pretty good, should suffice for non audiophiles. I have 2 teenagers too but I regularly move the 2nd row seats to maximize cargo space, this is where the SX really falls short. I really want the configurable 7 or 8 seats, cannot be the inflexible Dentist chairs; at the same time I would like the memory settings and cooled front seats, the dual sunroofs and the Parking Collision Avoidance Assist that only comes in the top SX trim. So, going for the SX, as presently configured, is a poison pill to me.
Wait, Canadians need cooled seats?! 😮😜

1 - 12 of 12 Posts