Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my iPhone connected to the car through Bluetooth to make calls and I usually plug it in to use Apple CarPlay.
I am trying to figure out if and how I can still use the car voice commands, when my phone is connected but Siri kicks in every time I use the voice button on the steering wheel.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
563 Posts
The voice button on the steering wheel should have the following behavior:

Single press to activate the UVO Voice Assistant
Press and HOLD to activate your phone's assistant

Which are you doing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have my iPhone connected to the car through Bluetooth to make calls and I usually plug it in to use Apple CarPlay.
I am trying to figure out if and how I can still use the car voice commands, when my phone is connected but Siri kicks in every time I use the voice button on the steering wheel.
Any ideas?
I have a question (since you use Apple carplay). When using Google maps with Apple carplay does it show on the entire 12 inch display or is it split? I use Android auto and it's split unless I use Kias navigation, only then can I get the full display. Also, does it show the full 12 in display for Apple carplay with anything? For ex: Pandora, etc. Or is that split? Thank you for your help! A picture would be very helpful also 😊

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a question (since you use Apple carplay). When using Google maps with Apple carplay does it show on the entire 12 inch display or is it split? I use Android auto and it's split unless I use Kias navigation, only then can I get the full display. Also, does it show the full 12 in display for Apple carplay with anything? For ex: Pandora, etc. Or is that split? Thank you for your help! A picture would be very helpful also 😊
You can have CarPlay set up to either take up the full screen or be in split screen. With the phone unplugged, you have to go to setup > device connections > phone projection/CarPlay. If you have the box that says “use split screen” checked, CarPlay will be in split screen with 1/3 of the screen being the Kia interface. If you have that box unchecked, then CarPlay will take up the entire screen.

Android Auto, on the other hand, is a different story. As far as Kia’s software on these widescreen displays is concerned, there is no widescreen Android Auto. So it doesn’t look for it and places AA in a box in the classic aspect ratio. So at this time, if you’re using AA, you really want to go into the setup > device connections > phone projection/AA and make sure you check “use split screen” to display the Kia split screen UI, because otherwise you will be wasting that right 1/3 of the screen. And then continue to hope that Kia will fix this with a future update… but be aware that many updates have come and gone since widescreen AA was introduced in late 2019, and Kia’s software still doesn’t look for it.

Reactions: UN-Limited

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can have CarPlay set up to either take up the full screen or be in split screen. With the phone unplugged, you have to go to setup > device connections > phone projection/CarPlay. If you have the box that says “use split screen” checked, CarPlay will be in split screen with 1/3 of the screen being the Kia interface. If you have that box unchecked, then CarPlay will take up the entire screen.

Android Auto, on the other hand, is a different story. As far as Kia’s software on these widescreen displays is concerned, there is no widescreen Android Auto. So it doesn’t look for it and places AA in a box in the classic aspect ratio. So at this time, if you’re using AA, you really want to go into the setup > device connections > phone projection/AA and make sure you check “use split screen” to display the Kia split screen UI, because otherwise you will be wasting that right 1/3 of the screen. And then continue to hope that Kia will fix this with a future update… but be aware that many updates have come and gone since widescreen AA was introduced in late 2019, and Kia’s software still doesn’t look for it.
Oh my gosh THANK YOU sooooo much!!! You're right I have android and it only offers split screen (I do utilize Kias split screen features) but I was so shocked to find out Apple car play uses the full 12 inch display! Which (to me) is a way better use of the screen. I'm jealous, actually, and am super tempted to go back to Apple for this reason 😄. Thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts

SO when using Apple car play and using Google Maps will it fill the entire 12 inch display for navigation? 😵

·
Registered
41 Posts
SO when using Apple car play and using Google Maps will it fill the entire 12 inch display for navigation? 😵
Yes… if you have CarPlay set up to utilize the full screen as I described above, then Google Maps (or any app) will take up the whole display.

Reactions: Itsmee

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
563 Posts
Oh my gosh THANK YOU sooooo much!!! You're right I have android and it only offers split screen (I do utilize Kias split screen features) but I was so shocked to find out Apple car play uses the full 12 inch display! Which (to me) is a way better use of the screen. I'm jealous, actually, and am super tempted to go back to Apple for this reason 😄. Thanks again!
This frustrates me to no end. 🤬 Android Auto has supported widescreen displays since 2019 and yet Kia refuses to get off of its lazy a$$ to update the firmware to be compatible. This is not an Android issue. This is a Kia issue. I would highly suggest that we continue to bombard Kia corporate with letters and phone calls demanding they update their firmware to support widescreen green Android Auto. It's too simple to fix for this not to have been done already.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This frustrates me to no end. 🤬 Android Auto has supported widescreen displays since 2019 and yet Kia refuses to get off of its lazy a$$ to update the firmware to be compatible. This is not an Android issue. This is a Kia issue. I would highly suggest that we continue to bombard Kia corporate with letters and phone calls demanding they update their firmware to support widescreen green Android Auto. It's too simple to fix for this not to have been done already.
Agreed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts