Kia Carnival Forum banner

Carnival’s Drawbacks

57K views 133 replies 31 participants last post by  Sasse 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I have been waiting with my vehicle upgrade for the Carnival. I love the machine and wanted to get it but below are the letdowns :(
What do you think?

1. Why am I forced to go with black wheels if I want one of the SX trims? It should’ve been an option (like Chrysler’s S Appearance)

2. Top trim only comes with 7 pax seating

3. Digital cluster, heated steering wheel, auto dimming rearview mirror (believe it?) are only available on top trim which automatically excludes me and all others who need an 8 passenger vehicle. (I’ll forgive the LED headlights and sunroof)

4. Even top trim doesn’t offer auto dimming side mirrors

Overall, Kia is pretty inconsistent with the features they offer for each trim level. While they include some extra gadgets in the lower EX trim (intercom, passenger view camera, etc.) they don’t offer everyday useful driving features on the SX trim

PS
Is rain sensing wipers an available option?

See less See more
#48 ·
Maybe I'm missing something....As best I can tell, the car will only accept 2 Bluetooth connections. So, in order to complete my UVO registration (and I'm not really sure what all UVO is), I will need to disconnect one of our phones to connect UVO. Hmmm, should I disconnect my phone or the wife's.............

#49 ·
Hello, we purchased a Carnival SX over the weekend and have a couple issues/questions about it. When we tried to set up UVO we were told it's not available in the state of Massachusetts.
The other problem I have with it, is that although I initially liked that the seats were higher than our previous minivan, when I get out of the Carnival, my feet don't touch the ground so I have to kind of drop down. That wouldn't be a problem, except the bottom rail that's just under the door is a thin, hard edge and it's a little painful when you bump against it. Is anyone else on the shorter side like me, and having this problem and if so, do you have any ideas on fixing it. I called the dealership and asked them to exchange the Carnival for a different vehicle but it's against their policies.

#50 ·
Hello, we purchased a Carnival SX over the weekend and have a couple issues/questions about it. When we tried to set up UVO we were told it's not available in the state of Massachusetts.
The other problem I have with it, is that although I initially liked that the seats were higher than our previous minivan, when I get out of the Carnival, my feet don't touch the ground so I have to kind of drop down. That wouldn't be a problem, except the bottom rail that's just under the door is a thin, hard edge and it's a little painful when you bump against it. Is anyone else on the shorter side like me, and having this problem and if so, do you have any ideas on fixing it. I called the dealership and asked them to exchange the Carnival for a different vehicle but it's against their policies.
Perhaps running board would help?

#55 ·
Has anyone else with an SX or higher had issues with the 115V power plugs? Mine worked the day after pick up but have not since. The red light is even on but definitely not charging my laptop. I’ve tried both plugs and with the van running and no luck yet.

I thought I saw someone else on here that had this issue and had taken it to the dealer

#59 ·
Has anyone else with an SX or higher had issues with the 115V power plugs? Mine worked the day after pick up but have not since. The red light is even on but definitely not charging my laptop. I’ve tried both plugs and with the van running and no luck yet.

I thought I saw someone else on here that had this issue and had taken it to the dealer

Speaking of which, do you know where the inverter is located (or if there are multiple inverters?) I was thinking that an early mod might be to swap it out with one that has a bit more power.

#57 ·
In terms of a drawback...I can find no-one with a hitch that fits the Carnival. I'd really like to take my bicycle along, as I have a nice Thule bike rack that fits on a hitch. There is a official Kia video with a Carnival towing a large boat, but I have no idea where they obtained that hitch.

#72 ·
I'm drawn to the SX-P because of the VIP seating for all the highway driving I do with sciatica issues. The reality is, I transport bicycles and recumbent trikes in the rear of my Odyssey and need to consider the SX instead, because the VIP seats are stationary.

But golly, for the same money as the SX (or less with negotiations), the Odyssey Touring gives me the sunroof, Homelink, leather, Wi-Fi, sunglass holder in the ceiling and no backseat monitors I'd remove immediately.

I was really excited when the Carnival was announced thinking I'd save money and get more content but their marketing people are not considering Honda's model offerings too well.

#74 ·
I'm drawn to the SX-P because of the VIP seating for all the highway driving I do with sciatica issues. The reality is, I transport bicycles and recumbent trikes in the rear of my Odyssey and need to consider the SX instead, because the VIP seats are stationary.

But golly, for the same money as the SX (or less with negotiations), the Odyssey Touring gives me the sunroof, Homelink, leather, Wi-Fi, sunglass holder in the ceiling and no backseat monitors I'd remove immediately.

I was really excited when the Carnival was announced thinking I'd save money and get more content but their marketing people are not considering Honda's model offerings too well.
I do agree Kia may have set up the SX-P trim to distinguish itself from the other minivans and cater to a different demographics (retired senior folks that might occasionally pick up grand kids, shuttle limo service to/from airports/hotels, family of 4 with 2 older teenagers that won't be caught in the 3rd row and business execs doing chaffeured trips). Unfortunately, this trim does not target the average family that want flexibiity (ability to remove/configure seats to maximise cargo space) while wanting all the comforts and features that the van offers. For this reason, I will wait for the 2023 model, hope Kia offers some of the top features (In Canada, Bose Audio, sunroof, cooled leather front seats, memory function, parking collision avoidence - reverse, etc) in a penultimate trim or offer a more configurable 7 (non-VIP) or 8 seater option at the SX-P trim. If not, I will consider Toyota Sienna. The Honda Odyssey is getting long in the tooth in its tech and safety features and so less attractive, even though its engine and chassis is on par with the Carnival.

#73 ·
From the Sienna Forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.