·
Registered
2022, ultra silver, SX Carnival
7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
Do AWD or Hybrid power trains take away more space from the interior cabin? I heard that's why the Carnival has the best in class storage space behind the 3rd row.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do AWD or Hybrid power trains take away more space from the interior cabin? I heard that's why the Carnival has the best in class storage space behind the 3rd row.
They do. Which is why the new AWD Sienna Hybrid has the least cargo space. It is an OK tradeoff for many people. The problem is that the Sienna is underpowered and the rear bumper is flush with the tailgate which is a dealbreaker for many. The plug in Pacifica scarified the fold in sits that many love, and doesn't allow for a hitch to be installed - or you void the warranty (Only on the Plug in - not the gas powered ones). Many Pacifica owners and dealerships don't know it (some dealerships provide misleading information, and even install after market hitches, but I confirmed that directly with Chrysler and through a dealership that it would void the warranty. This has to do with their concern of straining the hybrid engine.
Will be interesting to see what tradeoffs Kia will have to make (hopefully none) to electrify the Carnival and/or make it AWD.
Until then with snow tires in the winter and much better than expected MPG on our Carnival - we are happy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would be shocked if there is not AWD hybrid (as a trim offering, perhaps in the top trim) They already have the platform in the Tucson, Sorento and Santa Fe, these come with AWD hybrid variants (except the Sorento, btw the Canadian version of the Sorento is expected to have AWD in contrast to the US). The only question is will they up the combined power to leverage the added weight of the Carnival? I cannot imagine Kia putting the pony 227 combined horsepower from the above SUV siblings in the Carnival. One compelling choice would be the 277/281 horsepower wet-clutch Turbo 8AT engine now in Sorento/Santa Fe being married to electric motors for a combined power north of 300 horses. If this can get combined 30mpg, that would be my dream car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts