Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Kia recommends to add an additive every oil change - and dealers would be happy to charge you gold for adding the additive by themselves, any insight or info on how we can choose an additive by ourselves?

E.g., I have a few cans of Liqui Moly Jectron left from now sold Tiguan - Can I use them to clean our engines?

It seems that the Carnival engine has two injection systems - a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) and Multi-Port Injection (MPI)

And I am worried about the MPI

Thanks

· Registered
60 Posts
Direct port injection is in the cylinder head, multi-port injection is in the intake, right? When direct injection began propagating through the auto industry, I heard walls in the intake, intake chamber and intake valve of the head was being found much dirtier than with injection in the intake. Fuel naturally has solvents and additives to clean surfaces. Where does the mess come from? The positive crankcase ventilation system.

I've been thinking of one of my first "mods" to the van being a catch can. The source of the mess is crank case vapors, ls motors benefit so much from a catch can it makes you think it should be factory fare. So, rather than an injector cleaner, would we be better off with a catch can?

· Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
3 Posts
I was offered a "fuel additive" for $30 at the dealer. What is it?
I have heard the dealer offers "Techron complete fuel system cleaner" it does not specify in the manual it just says if you don't use top tier gasoline to install the additive. I used the 20oz bottle, I also used the Berryman's GDI valve cleaner in ours at 10k miles right before our second oil change, and plan on using it every 10k miles right before oil change. The fuel additive will not help carbon buildup on the intake valves as the engine in our Kia's are direct injection they spray directly into the combustion chamber.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have heard the dealer offers "Techron complete fuel system cleaner" it does not specify in the manual it just says if you don't use top tier gasoline to install the additive. I used the 20oz bottle, I also used the Berryman's GDI valve cleaner in ours at 10k miles right before our second oil change, and plan on using it every 10k miles right before oil change. The fuel additive will not help carbon buildup on the intake valves as the engine in our Kia's are direct injection they spray directly into the combustion chamber.
It's not just gdi it has multi port as well.

· Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
3 Posts
Unfortunately in America we all got the G6DT Smartstream v6 GDI engines in our Carnivals, there are other markets that got the MPI engines and there are some "smartstream" engines that are MPI. There are many factors that cause the carbon deposits, the manual states to use the "top tier" gas which is gasoline regardless of octane rating that contains detergents and dispersants typically sold by reputable gas stations. The manual also states you may use a fuel treatment like the Techron. Other factors that cause carbon deposits are malfunctions, very short trips, short trips, extended engine idling, extended low rpm driving, engine oil quality & oil change intervals. There are mountains of information to research on the topic as well as mitigation, maintenance / wizardry and engine oil / oil change intervals etc. I believe you are right about the oil catch can, I don't think it would do anything remarkable. I would never consider adding one to a vehicle that has any type of warranty. Everyone with a direct injection engine should check their engine oil level, and maintain their vehicle at the regularly scheduled intervals per the owner's manual (or sooner! never do extended OCI's) if you are loosing engine oil note how much how often and report it to the dealership's service department and follow their directions. Our Carnival came with an outstanding warranty, also so far excellent after sale support and I hope everyone's here did as well! As for us I am just going to maintain & drive it and hope for the best! I wish everyone here the best of luck with theirs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts