Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with their Carnival in cold weather? I'm talking about 0 or below 0. I live in MN where we get a lot of that. We have a 22 SXP. Last year, the car wouldn't start. We had an instance where the door wouldn't close. Wouldn't you know it, when we took it to the dealer, they said they didn't find anything wrong. The battery tested fine. The door worked every time without us doing anything.

Well we went on a week's vacation to CA this last week. It was below zero again. We came back and the car wouldn't start again. Either it has a shitty battery or something is wrong with the electrical.

Anyone having any issues with the cold?

· Registered
2022 SX-Prestige in Astral Blue
137 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with their Carnival in cold weather? I'm talking about 0 or below 0. I live in MN where we get a lot of that. We have a 22 SXP. Last year, the car wouldn't start. We had an instance where the door wouldn't close. Wouldn't you know it, when we took it to the dealer, they said they didn't find anything wrong. The battery tested fine. The door worked every time without us doing anything.

Well we went on a week's vacation to CA this last week. It was below zero again. We came back and the car wouldn't start again. Either it has a shitty battery or something is wrong with the electrical.

Anyone having any issues with the cold?
Parking outside or in a garage at least?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've parked it outside. Tonight, tried jumping it in 20 degree weather. It clicked over and over with all the button lights flashing on the inside. It's ridiculous. I'll try again tomorrow when it gets warmer.

· Registered
137 Posts
we
We've parked it outside. Tonight, tried jumping it in 20 degree weather. It clicked over and over with all the button lights flashing on the inside. It's ridiculous. I'll try again tomorrow when it gets warmer.
Yeah, there’s clearly something wrong – if you don’t want to mess with trying to get into a dealer, take it to an auto parts store and have them test the battery and charging system.

· Registered
137 Posts
Well to take it to an auto store, which means I have to remove the battery. It's not as easy on these newer cars to do that.
No, you don’t. They have testers that they’ll bring it out to your car and hook it up under the hood. Easy peasy. Do you still want to take it back to the dealer for any warranty work but at least you might get a quick diagnosis from the auto parts store.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can I drive it to the store if I can't start it at all? Today will be in the low 30s. I will hook up a portable battery bank, that I got for Xmas a few years ago. It's suppose to jumpstart cars. I'll leave it hooked up for 30 minutes to see if it'll start up.

· Registered
137 Posts
How can I drive it to the store if I can't start it at all? Today will be in the low 30s. I will hook up a portable battery bank, that I got for Xmas a few years ago. It's suppose to jumpstart cars. I'll leave it hooked up for 30 minutes to see if it'll start up.
Good point, whoops. Hopefully the portable battery bank works. I have one of those in all of our cars, great little bit of security and safety in case you ever have a dead battery out somewhere.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried the battery bank and it didn't work. In fact, after 10 minutes, the bank was beeping. So I removed it. I hooked up jumper cables to my Cross Trek and ran it for 20 minutes. Then it started right up. I did get the battery tested and it came back positive. The guy said leaving the car alone in minus temp for a week will kill any car.

· Registered
38 Posts
"The guy said leaving the car alone in minus temp for a week will kill any car." It's not the car but the battery that dies under those conditions. In that kind of weather, I would connect a charger to the battery day & night until the temperatures are sustained above 20 deg F.

· Registered
3 Posts
Reminds me when I bought my spanking brand new 2002 Kia Sedona EX. My battery kept on dying every few days. Had to constantly get a boost. Took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the problem Had to talk them into keeping the Sedona over the weekend without touching it. Bingo! Dead battery. They finally traced the problem to the driver's side power window or seat button (forget which one it was) which would remain activated, killing the battery if the car was not used for 2 or 3 consecutive days. I'm sure glad they listened to me and kept the car over the weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts