Kia Carnival Forum banner
221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
397 Posts
Yeah bet you were pretty bummed! I have the exact same color combo and love it...traveled out of state to get it at a great price and glad I did. Just saw this one posted in DFW that is well under MSRP if you are still looking. It says prestige but it's not. Might be worth checking out if you are still looking: New 2022 Kia Carnival SX Prestige Dallas Fort Worth | Clay Cooley Kia Irving N6084847
Darn, wish I had seen this a day earlier. I just settled on the alternate color combo.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
397 Posts
Just came across this shameful bullsh*t! WTF!!!

View attachment 317
Dealers feel they can get away with price gouging right now - and that's because stupid consumers are actually allowing it. Anyone who agrees to buy a car for $5-10k over MSRP has just told the dealer that they can now expect that from every person. We're on the losing end of this battle until the stock can be built back up. Likely 2022 before that happens though.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
397 Posts
looks like it’s gone already anyways! What color did you end up getting? Cant go wrong
Got the most popular color - Astra Blue SX with Tuscan Umber Interior. I see why everyone loves it, but it was just a bit too bold of an interior color for my taste - especially with 2 kids under the age of 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an FYI. I found one local dealer listed 4 Carnival. 2 EX, and 2 SX-P. I requested the E-price. They called me back and told me that they only have one SX-P in stock now. The other three listed are in transit, they might receive those in this month. She said KIA requires them to post the car online once it's in transit. Not sure if that's true. You might want to call them to confirm the dealer has the car even it's listed on their website.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So just picked up an Astra Blue EX this weekend. Paid MSRP of $39,530 (which included $495 paint color, $200 for carpet, $50 for a cargo net (that I"m not sure is even in car, but I haven't really looked to see if it's hidden), and $1175 destination) + $699 Dealer Fee + $205 security etch transfer + tax/licensing. I flew from UT to Denver as there was no stock locally. Fortunately, it was a very easy and quick transaction (in and out in ~30min). And I had a 500 mile trip to become familiar with it intimately. My quick and dirty impressions?

The Good:
  • I think the suspension/handling is great, with just the right amount of stiffness.
  • The Lane centering paired with automatic cruise control (HDA/ GPS based, or whatever) is fantastic and made the long freeway drive so much more enjoyable.
  • I love the frontend and side profiles. Rear still looks like a minivan. ;)

The Neutral
Although not unique to Kia, I do wish you had more ability to pick and choose features rather than full trim. I would have liked the Surround View cameras but didn't want everything else going up in trim.
  • I really don't understand why Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with Homelink isn't just a standard option. It is however available for purchase after the fact, but still...
  • Blind spot monitors behavior seemed a little weird. If someone comes up from behind, it lights up like it should. But if you overtake someone such that they end up in your blind spot, it doesn't light up. presumably it would still alert you if you turn on blink but I didn't try.

The Bad:
  • The seats are quite stiff and not what I would call comfortable.
  • To get real leather in US, you have to go not just to SX, but SX-P. Should follow Honda's lead and offer EX-L, SX-L, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about the syntech. Better than cloth I guess.
  • There is no over head sunglass compartment. :)
  • I feel the center console is huge and I would have liked to see storage offered underneath much like some of the competitors.
  • wireless charging pad didn't do a very good job with my iphone 12 mini. It would charge (light would be lit) but battery was still depleting, presumably because of suboptimal placement. Maybe a little magnetic ring or something would help with alignment ;)
  • no wireless apple carplay / android auto. If you're offering a wireless charging pad, when you still have to plug in for car play, that's is lame.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So just picked up an Astra Blue EX this weekend. Paid MSRP of $39,530 (which included $495 paint color, $200 for carpet, $50 for a cargo net (that I"m not sure is even in car, but I haven't really looked to see if it's hidden), and $1175 destination) + $699 Dealer Fee + $205 security etch transfer + tax/licensing. I flew from UT to Denver as there was no stock locally. Fortunately, it was a very easy and quick transaction (in and out in ~30min). And I had a 500 mile trip to become familiar with it intimately. My quick and dirty impressions?

The Good:
  • I think the suspension/handling is great, with just the right amount of stiffness.
  • The Lane centering paired with automatic cruise control (HDA/ GPS based, or whatever) is fantastic and made the long freeway drive so much more enjoyable.

The Neutral
Although not unique to Kia, I do wish you had more ability to pick and choose features rather than full trim. I would have liked the Surround View cameras but didn't want everything else going up in trim.
  • I really don't understand why Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with Homelink isn't just a standard option. It is however available for purchase after the fact, but still...
  • Blind spot monitors behavior seemed a little weird. If someone comes up from behind, it lights up like it should. But if you overtake someone such that they end up in your blind spot, it doesn't light up. presumably it would still alert you if you turn on blink but I didn't try.

The Bad:
  • To get real leather in US, you have to go not just to SX, but SX-P. Should follow Honda's lead and offer EX-L, SX-L, etc. I'm not sure how I feel about the syntech. Better than cloth I guess.
  • I feel the center console is huge and I would have liked to see storage offered underneath much like some of the competitors.
  • wireless charging pad didn't do a very good job with my iphone 12 mini. It would charge (light would be lit) but battery was still depleting, presumably because of suboptimal placement. Maybe a little magnetic ring or something would help with alignment ;)
  • no wireless apple carplay / android auto. If you're offering a wireless charging pad, when you still have to plug in for car play, that's is lame.
I agree with you. The blind spot doesn't alert you when you're overtaking a car because it means you are aware that there is a car there and they're not in your "blind spot" anymore. Someone explained this in another forum.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
397 Posts

The Good:

The Neutral

The Bad:
First of all, congrats to you for getting one with no mark-up and minimal dealer add-ons. Many are not so lucky these days. I totally agree with your entire list except for 1 point:

Blind spot monitoring - if you are overtaking a car at greater than 10 mph, then BSM is redundant and not needed. As you stated, you clearly know the car is there and made an effort to pass it.

Other than that, your summary matches mine almost to the letter! The rear end looks fat and bland. It definitely needs the Telluride/Sorento style tail lights. I'm shocked by how stiff the seats are and hope they break in a little bit over time. Plus, I hope both widescreen and wireless AA and ACP get added via firmware update soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with you. The blind spot doesn't alert you when you're overtaking a car because it means you are aware that there is a car there and they're not in your "blind spot" anymore. Someone explained this in another forum.
Haha... I def get the rational. I just mean, people can be pretty oblivious. In college, I was riding my bike along the right side of the road. A car overtook me on the left so you would think they saw me. But then the Slowed and turned right directly in front of me causing me to fly over their hood. So, guess they didn't see me or they just assumed that I would go from 30mph to a stop because they didn't want to wait the 3 seconds for me to go past them so they could turn... :D Seems like it should just light up anytime someone is in your blind spot. That's how my Odyssey worked.

·
Registered
113 Posts

The Good:

The Neutral

The Bad:
Congratulations by the way!!! It's still an amazing car despite some of the few cons.
Haha... I def get the rational. I just mean, people can be pretty oblivious. In college, I was riding my bike along the right side of the road. A car overtook me on the left so you would think they saw me. But then the Slowed and turned right directly in front of me causing me to fly over their hood. So, guess they didn't see me or they just assumed that I would go from 30mph to a stop because they didn't want to wait the 3 seconds for me to go past them so they could turn... :D Seems like it should just light up anytime someone is in your blind spot. That's how my Odyssey worked.
I agree. Lol but whoa that's one crazy experience you had there! Congratulations on the car by the way!

·
Registered
113 Posts
First of all, congrats to you for getting one with no mark-up and minimal dealer add-ons. Many are not so lucky these days. I totally agree with your entire list except for 1 point:

Blind spot monitoring - if you are overtaking a car at greater than 10 mph, then BSM is redundant and not needed. As you stated, you clearly know the car is there and made an effort to pass it.

Other than that, your summary matches mine almost to the letter! The rear end looks fat and bland. It definitely needs the Telluride/Sorento style tail lights. I'm shocked by how stiff the seats are and hope they break in a little bit over time. Plus, I hope both widescreen and wireless AA and ACP get added via firmware update soon.
Yep and hopefully add WiFi hotspot as well!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Woohoo! Just got home from the dealership and we are now proud owners of an EX in Astra Blue w/ grey interior. Because we live in Massachusetts, the dealership handles the registration and proof of insurance has to come directly from the insurer in the form of a 'stamp', we likely won't have possession for a couple more (very long) days.

Some quick notes- we live in the Boston area and test drove Carnivals from two different dealers, then purchased from a third.
First stop - Pride Kia. Fantastic salesperson and selling at MSRP, but they were not getting much inventory- especially in the color combo we wanted. Also were offering ~4k below KBB for our trade-in (2012 Odyssey EX). If they had the right vehicle on the lot or inbound, and we had a fair trade-in offer, we probably would have stopped our search and purchased with them. But alas, on to the next.... For what it's worth, they are now selling Carnivals at over MSRP.
Second stop - Commonwealth Kia. Mediocre sales experience and selling EX at 2k over MSRP. Offered us 2k below KBB on trade. All things combined- we were very turned off by the service level, the stubbornness of the +MSRP AND the lowball on trade-in. Hard pass.
Final stop - Herb Chambers Kia. They didn't have a Carnival on the lot when we first went in, but we did not need to test drive a third time. They told us what inbound Carnivals they were expecting via email, then we went in to put a $500 deposit on an EX that we were hoping for - at MSRP. Dealt directly with the sales manager (no sales person available when we went in), and it was fantastic- in-and-out in about 30 mins. Straightforward, no pressure, gave a non-binding estimate on our trade in that we were happy with (1k below KBB). The vehicle arrived last night, we went in this morning to test drive and complete the transaction (and to meet our sales person!). Totally smooth transaction, gave even more for our trade-in than initially quoted, and the experience with our sales person was similar to that of the sales manager. A++. We are thrilled with the price (MSRP), trade-in value, and customer service.

Coincidentally, they are now also charging a +MSRP premium on Carnivals as of now. Not sure if they will be flexible, but I can confirm that all Boston-area dealerships are charging a premium (+2k on EX) over MSRP.

Anyone in the area looking for a KIA, I am happy to share our sales person/manager names. This would be the first time in my life that I would whole-heartedly recommend a dealership/sales manager/sales person based on my own personal experience. Nothing short of terrific!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Woohoo! Just got home from the dealership and we are now proud owners of an EX in Astra Blue w/ grey interior. Because we live in Massachusetts, the dealership handles the registration and proof of insurance has to come directly from the insurer in the form of a 'stamp', we likely won't have possession for a couple more (very long) days.

Some quick notes- we live in the Boston area and test drove Carnivals from two different dealers, then purchased from a third.
First stop - Pride Kia. Fantastic salesperson and selling at MSRP, but they were not getting much inventory- especially in the color combo we wanted. Also were offering ~4k below KBB for our trade-in (2012 Odyssey EX). If they had the right vehicle on the lot or inbound, and we had a fair trade-in offer, we probably would have stopped our search and purchased with them. But alas, on to the next.... For what it's worth, they are now selling Carnivals at over MSRP.
Second stop - Commonwealth Kia. Mediocre sales experience and selling EX at 2k over MSRP. Offered us 2k below KBB on trade. All things combined- we were very turned off by the service level, the stubbornness of the +MSRP AND the lowball on trade-in. Hard pass.
Final stop - Herb Chambers Kia. They didn't have a Carnival on the lot when we first went in, but we did not need to test drive a third time. They told us what inbound Carnivals they were expecting via email, then we went in to put a $500 deposit on an EX that we were hoping for - at MSRP. Dealt directly with the sales manager (no sales person available when we went in), and it was fantastic- in-and-out in about 30 mins. Straightforward, no pressure, gave a non-binding estimate on our trade in that we were happy with (1k below KBB). The vehicle arrived last night, we went in this morning to test drive and complete the transaction (and to meet our sales person!). Totally smooth transaction, gave even more for our trade-in than initially quoted, and the experience with our sales person was similar to that of the sales manager. A++. We are thrilled with the price (MSRP), trade-in value, and customer service.

Coincidentally, they are now also charging a +MSRP premium on Carnivals as of now. Not sure if they will be flexible, but I can confirm that all Boston-area dealerships are charging a premium (+2k on EX) over MSRP.

Anyone in the area looking for a KIA, I am happy to share our sales person/manager names. This would be the first time in my life that I would whole-heartedly recommend a dealership/sales manager/sales person based on my own personal experience. Nothing short of terrific!
Congratulations!!! I got very lucky with mine as well. It was sold below MSRP. I'm sure you'll love the car as much as I do. Lol! 😊

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starting this thread for people to share their experiences with dealer pricing and ordering.
In South Florida... I have excellent credit... very hard to find dealers with any Carnivals last month... I finally got one in Fort Lauderdale and leased a Red Carnival SX for $725 a month total, sign and drive 36 months/36,000 miles. That's a lot, but not as much as some other dealers wanting $800 sign and drive. Comparing this to Ford Expedition leases for $780-$860 range for sign and drive. GMC Yukon loaded was $1120 a month!! The prices are ridiculous now due to shortage of vehicles. Even Carmax down here usually has 450 cars on lot - they only have 150 cars on lot and are paying top dollar for peoples used cars. I was able to sell Carmax my Pacifica at lease end and walk away with a check for $4700. (Used the purchase option at end of lease - Carmax did all the work). I didn't realize the conundrum I got into not having a car for 3 weeks, and had to pay $725 a month to get this Carnival lease. But it is a very nice car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NC here. Just ordered our Snow White Pearl SX Prestige yesterday.

Not able to get the interior lighting or bumper applique as the dealership stated accessories were "unavailable", other than that, pleased with out build.

Dealer did state that no colors were able to be ordered from Kia other than Panthera currently and that it may be up to 4 months before they accepted orders for the Snow White again 🤔🤔

To be fair, I think Panthera was our favorite color on the Carnival, but both my wife and I are big detractors of the chrome accent on the C-pillar, which almost by itself pushed us to a Sienna, but after seeing pictures and video of the Snow White, it blends in a "hides" much better than the other colors.

Here's to hoping what the dealerwatated for turnaround time doesn't pan out, my wife is hoping for a much shorter process so it's here before baby #2 on 8/13.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe get the Panthera Grey, and then give baby #1 a black permanent marker. #ProblemSolved :D

Serious question though, how come y'all are going for the SX Prestige over the SX? Do you not think you'll need the middle seat in the second row at some point? Just curious. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe get the Panthera Grey, and then give baby #1 a black permanent marker. #ProblemSolved :D

Serious question though, how come y'all are going for the SX Prestige over the SX? Do you not think you'll need the middle seat in the second row at some point? Just curious. :)
Problem solver! I like it

Regarding the 8th seat, we are done at 2 kids and since my wife and I, in general, dislike people, I'm not sure how many kids the girls will have hanging around as friends as the years pass 😂😂😂. To be honest, the biggest factor for SX Prestige for me was the dash screen. My wife suffered from Transverse Myelitis after our first, which has left her with significant muscle weakness still in her legs. She can get around but she's tires easily and she doesn't move fast. So, the blind spot cameras in the dash on the SX Prestige are a massive comfort to me knowing she can see more dangers around her and not be as likely to be in a position to have to quickly make a maneuver involving the pedals to avoid an accident. In fact, we're trading our 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature, and in most ways I prefer it over the Carnival. If it weren't for those blind spot cameras, there's a decent chance we'd be in the CX-9 still despite my wife wanting sliding doors.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm in Northern California, but decided to give a dealer in Los Angeles a call for pricing on an SX trim. On AutoTrader all their Carnival's are listed at MSRP, but they said...and I quote.. "right off the bat we have a $12K markup".

W.....T.....F......! I had to work so hard to not laugh on the call.

221 - 240 of 275 Posts