Kia Carnival Forum banner
241 - 260 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Northern California, but decided to give a dealer in Los Angeles a call for pricing on an SX trim. On AutoTrader all their Carnival's are listed at MSRP, but they said...and I quote.. "right off the bat we have a $12K markup".

W.....T.....F......! I had to work so hard to not laugh on the call.
That's insane. Our's is marked up $3k, got it down to $2k and got an extra $3,200 on the trade. Still not happy with the deal honestly, but, price of doing business on a vechicle that didn't exist before the pandemic I suppose.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Problem solver! I like it

Regarding the 8th seat, we are done at 2 kids and since my wife and I, in general, dislike people, I'm not sure how many kids the girls will have hanging around as friends as the years pass 😂😂😂. To be honest, the biggest factor for SX Prestige for me was the dash screen. My wife suffered from Transverse Myelitis after our first, which has left her with significant muscle weakness still in her legs. She can get around but she's tires easily and she doesn't move fast. So, the blind spot cameras in the dash on the SX Prestige are a massive comfort to me knowing she can see more dangers around her and not be as likely to be in a position to have to quickly make a maneuver involving the pedals to avoid an accident. In fact, we're trading our 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature, and in most ways I prefer it over the Carnival. If it weren't for those blind spot cameras, there's a decent chance we'd be in the CX-9 still despite my wife wanting sliding doors.
Fascinating stuff. Sorry to hear about your wife, and well done for making her safety & abilities your number one priority. Funny enough, we currently have a 2017 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring, and I love it.....BUT, we have 3yr old twins, and a 5 month baby, so while we can make the CX-9 work, a minivan would definitely make our life easier. I'd love the SX Prestige as well, but we really want to maximize seating, and have all 3 kids in the second row.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fascinating stuff. Sorry to hear about your wife, and well done for making her safety & abilities your number one priority. Funny enough, we currently have a 2017 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring, and I love it.....BUT, we have 3yr old twins, and a 5 month baby, so while we can make the CX-9 work, a minivan would definitely make our life easier. I'd love the SX Prestige as well, but we really want to maximize seating, and have all 3 kids in the second row.
What a world! I seriously considered keeping the CX-9 and making it my car, but didn't want to strain financially. If we had three there's no question we'd be in a van, three made it a lot easier of a decision for you in sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Problem solver! I like it

Regarding the 8th seat, we are done at 2 kids and since my wife and I, in general, dislike people, I'm not sure how many kids the girls will have hanging around as friends as the years pass 😂😂😂. To be honest, the biggest factor for SX Prestige for me was the dash screen. My wife suffered from Transverse Myelitis after our first, which has left her with significant muscle weakness still in her legs. She can get around but she's tires easily and she doesn't move fast. So, the blind spot cameras in the dash on the SX Prestige are a massive comfort to me knowing she can see more dangers around her and not be as likely to be in a position to have to quickly make a maneuver involving the pedals to avoid an accident. In fact, we're trading our 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature, and in most ways I prefer it over the Carnival. If it weren't for those blind spot cameras, there's a decent chance we'd be in the CX-9 still despite my wife wanting sliding doors.
I'm in Northern California, but decided to give a dealer in Los Angeles a call for pricing on an SX trim. On AutoTrader all their Carnival's are listed at MSRP, but they said...and I quote.. "right off the bat we have a $12K markup".

Holy shit! I would've hung up the phone on them! Fuck that! Lol! They're crazy and whoever buys that!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 2 kids living with me and my stepdaughter when she comes visit so the SX trim is definitely the best choice. Also after watching several review videos, the SX Prestige isn't that great except for the blind spot monitor camera. That would be the only reason to get if it was me. The digital dashboard cannot be customized as much as I thought.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Holy shit! I would've hung up the phone on them! Fuck that! Lol! They're crazy and whoever buys that!
They can charge that because people are stupid enough to pay it. Paying a penny over MSRP is insane to me. The manufacturer of the vehicle says it's only work "x" so why would you ever pay more than "x"? Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They can charge that because people are stupid enough to pay it. Paying a penny over MSRP is insane to me. The manufacturer of the vehicle says it's only work "x" so why would you ever pay more than "x"? Go somewhere else.
Called another dealer here and they also have a markup of $11,995. I asked point blank "are people willing to pay 25-30% over MSRP?" ...to which they replied "That is the current market value." #.......[crickets].

So UN-Limited, I don't want to pay over MSRP either. But in my case, I live in a big city, so every dealership within 300 miles has a markup. The dealer nearest to me (who I have been in communication about the new Carnival since last November) is only adding a $2K markup, wheres most others are doing $4-5K, and then you have the extreme $12K markups that you can negotiate down to $6-7K. So what's a guy to do? Drive/fly 600 miles away?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Called another dealer here and they also have a markup of $11,995. I asked point blank "are people willing to pay 25-30% over MSRP?" ...to which they replied "That is the current market value." #.......[crickets].

So UN-Limited, I don't want to pay over MSRP either. But in my case, I live in a big city, so every dealership within 300 miles has a markup. The dealer nearest to me (who I have been in communication about the new Carnival since last November) is only adding a $2K markup, wheres most others are doing $4-5K, and then you have the extreme $12K markups that you can negotiate down to $6-7K. So what's a guy to do? Drive/fly 600 miles away?
The simple answer that no one wants to hear is wait for the inventory to build back up and pricing will drop back down to normal. Otherwise yes, you'll have to find a small town family owned dealership who cares more about customer service than profits.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Yes, there are people paying that much. I went to the first dealer had a Carnival in stock in SoCal last month, they charge $3,999 over MSRP. They said they are the lowest. It turned out true. I contacted 10+ dealers in CA after, even dealers in Vegas and Yuma, all asked $5-10K markups for Carnival. They don’t negotiate because someone will pay the price soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts

I would do $2k markup with a local dealer. Considering the time and cost to buy a car out of state, $2K is not bad. It also helps if the car had issues. I can’t find any local dealer charging $2K through. Minimum $4K…

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
There is also a rumor that Hyundai / Kia workers may strike in South Korea. If that happens, inventory is going to get compressed even further. I might hedge bets and go forward with the 2k markup or switch to another brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would do $2k markup with a local dealer. Considering the time and cost to buy a car out of state, $2K is not bad. It also helps if the car had issues. I can’t find any local dealer charging $2K through. Minimum $4K…
I'm in Utah, and I've called 12-15 dealerships within 500 miles. Almost all of them had markups. I thought I'd share what I found.
Arizona $4-8K
Vegas $3-5K
Colorado $2-4K
Northern Utah $1-3K

HOWEVER, Jerry Seiner Kia in South Jordan, UT has a dealership policy to NEVER charge over MSRP. So if you can get a deal and get shipping, it might be a good option. Or come pick it up. Its about 30 min from the SLC airport.

I just got an SX ordered, and now just have to wait... for a while...

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just picked up our Ceramic Silver/ Grey SX-P about a week ago and we love it! We purchased it from Island Kia in New York and they were very up front , honest, and quick with the transaction. We got ours at $1500 above MSRP and I did not haggle at all on that price, what I did was negotiate the most positive equity out of my existing lease and it all worked out in the end.

I feel as though inventory is still very erratic and either inventory is being scooped up very quick, or there is less out there. When we looked for a Carnival as soon as they came out, locally they were all selling at MSRP, now it seems like they keep increasing it more. I doubt it will reach crazy levels of Telluride asking prices, which are still $8-10k locally above MSRP.

Here she is:

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
113 Posts
We just picked up our Ceramic Silver/ Grey SX-P about a week ago and we love it! We purchased it from Island Kia in New York and they were very up front , honest, and quick with the transaction. We got ours at $1500 above MSRP and I did not haggle at all on that price, what I did was negotiate the most positive equity out of my existing lease and it all worked out in the end.

I feel as though inventory is still very erratic and either inventory is being scooped up very quick, or there is less out there. When we looked for a Carnival as soon as they came out, locally they were all selling at MSRP, now it seems like they keep increasing it more. I doubt it will reach crazy levels of Telluride asking prices, which are still $8-10k locally above MSRP.

Here she is:

View attachment 441
Congratulations! Although I disagree with paying over MSRP, sometimes you need to look at priorities. If you really needed the car then I probably won't mind paying a little over. At least it isn't $5K I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congratulations! Although I disagree with paying over MSRP, sometimes you need to look at priorities. If you really needed the car then I probably won't mind paying a little over. At least it isn't $5K I guess.
I agree! Also tried to squeeze every last bit of that extra 1500 out of the equity on my trade in :)

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts

Here she is:

View attachment 441
Very nice! What color is the interior? That exterior was our second choice, but ultimately chose the Astra Blue.

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·

Here she is:

View attachment 441
Love the car! Poor front bumper though. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm interested the white SX . i search it on autotrader and a dealer in CA call me today and ask me to pay $15k more before Tax for it . it mean it's around $60k OTD for KIA Carvinal LOL no way with $60k i have alot of choice for the other better brand . how about u guy ? will u pay $15k over the MSRP ?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
i'm interested the white SX . i search it on autotrader and a dealer in CA call me today and ask me to pay $15k more before Tax for it . it mean it's around $60k OTD for KIA Carvinal LOL no way with $60k i have alot of choice for the other better brand . how about u guy ? will u pay $15k over the MSRP ?
Hard pass. Don't pay a penny over MSRP. Be patient and wait for demand to calm down or supply to build up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard pass. Don't pay a penny over MSRP. Be patient and wait for demand to calm down or supply to build up.
i'm trying . i bought 5-7 lexus car (is250 , is350 , gx460 , rx350 ...) before and never ever pay over the MSRP but this is my first time i go with KIA and surprise about the price they give me and the way they treat me . the man who talked to me on the phone just ask me DO YOU THINK YOU CAN PAY FOR $15K MORE TO GET IT ? LOL

241 - 260 of 275 Posts