Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I believe it is necessary to fully and accurately describe my experience with this dealership.

Positive Experience with Miguel
I first made contact with a salesperson, Miguel, on May 14th, 2021 to inquire about your stock of Carnivals – specifically, the SX trim with Astra Blue exterior and Dark Gray interior. Miguel confirmed that none were in stock, but he did expect one matching this exact configuration to arrive on May 21st, 2021. To ensure I would be able to purchase this vehicle, I placed a $1,000 USD deposit with Miguel and he assured me that my deposit would not only reserve the vehicle for me, but would also lock me in at the sticker price, $43,020 plus TT&L, with an estimated purchase price of $46,000 USD.
To be clear, Miguel was an absolute pleasure to work with. He was very kind, helpful, communicative, and responsive. He was truly a stand-out salesperson and I would love to work with him again in the future. However, my experience with Demontrond after initially placing my deposit likely prevents me from ever purchasing a vehicle from your dealership again. Worse yet, I feel compelled to warn others to avoid working with Demontrond as well.

Inexplicable Delays
As mentioned above, the vehicle matching my requested configuration was scheduled to arrive on May 21st. That day, Miguel contacted me to let me know the shipment had been delayed due to inclement weather and had been rescheduled for delivery the following week on May 28th. Unfortunately, the 28th turned into the 30th, a Sunday – a day when your dealership is closed. Then June 30th turned into the 31st and the 31st turned into June 7th. Each time the shipment was delayed, I was patient and understood these delays to be out of Miguel’s control.

Wrong Car
Finally, on June 2nd, I received a call from a Demontrond Sales Manager saying that my car has arrived. He was kind enough to send me photos of the vehicle, but I quickly noticed that this car did not match my requested interior color. Upon speaking with him, he confirmed that he had ZERO incoming inventory matching my requested color combination for the foreseeable future. At this point, I was quite frustrated and no one was able to explain how this happened. I passed on previous opportunities to buy this car from other dealers because I had a deposit with Demontrond and wanted to stay true to my word that I would buy a car from Miguel. Plus, in the weeks that passed, the demand for the Carnival far exceeded the supply and dealers started raising the prices above MSRP, leaving me with very few choices, so I reluctantly agreed to purchase a Carnival that did not match my preferred color.

Objectionable Sales Tactics
I drove the 30 miles to the dealership on the same day to see the car in person. It was still covered in plastic and would not be ready for me to take delivery until the following day. While still sitting at the sales desk, I was brought a summary of the final pricing and saw an extra $1200 for “admin fees” and $300 for window tint (which I did not request). The sales manager could not identify or itemize a single cost contributing to the “admin fees” and after failing to do so, finally conceded that it was a way to recoup the lost revenue from selling the car at MSRP. Although I appreciated his honesty here, I was less than impressed with how dismissive he was of my patronage by implying that I was “lucky” to only be charged $1200 because he has “another customer willing to buy the car for $5k over MSRP”. I calmly explained that another customer’s priorities do not and should not influence my finances. He basically told me to take the “deal” or leave. Despite this terrible customer service experience, I signed the pricing agreement and planned to return the following day (June 3rd) to take delivery of the vehicle, expecting the worst to be behind me.

Finance Bait and Switch
I arrived shortly after 5:30pm on June 3rd to meet with the finance officer and take delivery of the vehicle. My purchase experience with Demontrond quickly turned from bad to worse when the finance officer informed me that I would not be “allowed” to finance the purchase at the advertised 1.9% APR through Kia Motors Finance and would instead be forced into 3.25% APR at the behest of the Sales Manager, despite being more than qualified for the lower interest rate. After going around in circles with the finance officer, he finally offered what he believed to be the truth: Demontrond management was using the higher interest rate to recover even more profit from selling this car for MSRP. Each of my requests to finance at my qualified rate of 1.9% was rejected, costing me an extra $1,000 in interest.
I was, and still am, absolutely disgusted by this business practice and feel compelled to share this experience with anyone who is willing to listen to ensure that no one else has to endure such a belittling car buying process. In general, car dealers already have a bad reputation and, with the exception of Miguel – who was wonderful to work with, Demontrond managed to completely live up to that reputation.

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
Many horror stories out there about buying from Kia dealerships. It’s like they think people are buying cheap secondhand cars vs upwards of $50k luxury MPV’s. At some point inventory will catch up and these times of printing money for dealerships will come to an end.

Also, if you haven’t already be sure to post to Google and Yelp your reviews. Also file a complaint with the BBB.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many horror stories out there about buying from Kia dealerships. It’s like they think people are buying cheap secondhand cars vs upwards of $50k luxury MPV’s. At some point inventory will catch up and these times of printing money for dealerships will come to an end.

Also, if you haven’t already be sure to post to Google and Yelp your reviews. Also file a complaint with the BBB.
Thanks, I'm planning to post this everywhere I can. I sent it to the sales manager via email and he called me within minutes to apologize for my experience, but didn't offer anything to directly address my complaints. Just a bunch of bloviating and salesmanship. No actual follow through to improve the experience.

·
Super Moderator
362 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to limit collateral damage in the cheapest possible way. I’ve seen dealerships throw in free maintenance like an oil change as a “I’m sorry”. But words alone won’t remedy this situation. Ultimately it’ll take people sour from their purchase experience driving down brand loyalty to make any meaningful change but at that point, the damage is done and the brand and dealership are sunk. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, Cadillac had this problem and it drove everyone to getting German cars instead. They never really did recover.

·
Registered
140 Posts

This is so upsetting to hear! It aggravates me to read this, and makes me so combative, hence the long post below.
Hope it helps...

Here are some suggestions for you (if you haven't done already):
1. Call Kia Finance and find out why you were rejected for the 1.9% rate. I believe they have a legal obligation to explain.
2. I believe you should have no penalty (check the terms of your loan) paying off the loan anytime if the loan was from Kia and not some other auto loan service the deanship used as an alternative. If that is the case, check out alternative loans. You can do better than 3.24% with AAA or USAA (if you can become a member) AARP etc or check some of your neighborhood local banks. If you can qualify for a cheaper loan elsewhere, take it and pay off the Kia loan ASAP (rates might be going up so do it ASAP). Hopefully that will also cut down the commission your deanship was hoping to make.
3. I will DM you the name of someone senior at Kia that you can try to reach out to at Kia that I found helpful. I don't feel it is fair to share his information here so I will send it to you privately. If you share your experience with him, and he responds (not guaranteed), I believe the dealership will hear it from Kia. If he doesn't respond (may take a week or so), try to call Kia customer service and try to move up the supervisor ladder to complain and try to get to the regional GM at Kia...

How to deal with the dealership:
1. Ask to speak with the dealership's GM if you haven't done so already. Share that you plan on doing what I am suggesting in #2 and #3. See if that helps. If they are willing to negotiate at all, see if they will offer you credit for future services in the amount they of the markup they weren't entitled to and maybe the additional interest (if this is their fault). You may find they will be more open to that than giving you money back. Giving you $1200 credit for service doesn't cost them nearly as much so might be easier to get...
2. BBB as Phantasm22 suggested here is a great idea. I would also try to file a complaint with the Attorney General of Texas (you don't need a lawyer for that - similar to BBB), and if you talk to the dealership or email them again, let them know you are filing complaints with the BBB and the AG. Sometimes that helps get things resolved even before filing the complaints. Also check if Texas has a consumer protection agency and if it can be helpful in your case.
3. As suggested here cut and paste your post from this forum to every social media outlet. There is a Kia Carnival forum on Facebook with a lot of members. You can also join other Kia groups and share there. Make sure to use many #s... including the dealership. Same with tweeter.

At the end of the day getting back at the dealership and warning other people from them takes time, and causes aggravation, re-living it all over again and may not get you money back. I often spend too much time doing that trying to make the world a better place and teach these people they just can't get away with everything. Feel free not to sign up for this fight. It sometimes just makes sense to move on...
Whatever you decide to do and how much time you decide to invest in this, remember you got a great car - so make sure you enjoy it, and don't let this bad experience change that...

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Call Kia Finance and find out why you were rejected for the 1.9% rate. I believe they have a legal obligation to explain.
Thanks for all the great advice! I just wanted to clarify that KMF didn't deny me the lower interest rate. The dealership simply refused to offer it to me, claiming some BS that they used a (non-existent) dealer cash incentive to get my price down to MSRP (after they artificially inflated it) and therefore, I couldn't also get the lower interest rate. The finance officer even said this was a management decision and not a question of credit worthiness. If I hadn't already sold my previous car, I would've walked away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your experience. I put deposit to order my SX at Fort Bend Kia at the early of July. No any news by now. So I had asked Demontrond Kia for a SXP price one week ago. The salesman gave me a price, it’s over MSRP $5000. Fortunately, he did not continue to ask me about my intentions. Hope Fort Bend Kia is better than DeMontrond Kia.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for your experience. I put deposit to order my SX at Fort Bend Kia at the early of July. No any news by now. So I had asked Demontrond Kia for a SXP price one week ago. The salesman gave me a price, it’s over MSRP $5000. Fortunately, he did not continue to ask me about my intentions. Hope Fort Bend Kia is better than DeMontrond Kia.
Am not from Texas and not speaking from my own experience but Helen Ternus-Brouillette from Fort Bend Kia is highly recommended by many on the Carnival FB group and doesn't charge over MSRP.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, Fort Bend Kia was the only dealer in the Houston area not charging above MSRP back in May. They say they don't believe in it and I hope it stays that way. Stay with them and be patient.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I believe it is necessary to fully and accurately describe my experience with this dealership.

Positive Experience with Miguel
I first made contact with a salesperson, Miguel, on May 14th, 2021 to inquire about your stock of Carnivals – specifically, the SX trim with Astra Blue exterior and Dark Gray interior. Miguel confirmed that none were in stock, but he did expect one matching this exact configuration to arrive on May 21st, 2021. To ensure I would be able to purchase this vehicle, I placed a $1,000 USD deposit with Miguel and he assured me that my deposit would not only reserve the vehicle for me, but would also lock me in at the sticker price, $43,020 plus TT&L, with an estimated purchase price of $46,000 USD.
To be clear, Miguel was an absolute pleasure to work with. He was very kind, helpful, communicative, and responsive. He was truly a stand-out salesperson and I would love to work with him again in the future. However, my experience with Demontrond after initially placing my deposit likely prevents me from ever purchasing a vehicle from your dealership again. Worse yet, I feel compelled to warn others to avoid working with Demontrond as well.

Inexplicable Delays
As mentioned above, the vehicle matching my requested configuration was scheduled to arrive on May 21st. That day, Miguel contacted me to let me know the shipment had been delayed due to inclement weather and had been rescheduled for delivery the following week on May 28th. Unfortunately, the 28th turned into the 30th, a Sunday – a day when your dealership is closed. Then June 30th turned into the 31st and the 31st turned into June 7th. Each time the shipment was delayed, I was patient and understood these delays to be out of Miguel’s control.

Wrong Car
Finally, on June 2nd, I received a call from a Demontrond Sales Manager saying that my car has arrived. He was kind enough to send me photos of the vehicle, but I quickly noticed that this car did not match my requested interior color. Upon speaking with him, he confirmed that he had ZERO incoming inventory matching my requested color combination for the foreseeable future. At this point, I was quite frustrated and no one was able to explain how this happened. I passed on previous opportunities to buy this car from other dealers because I had a deposit with Demontrond and wanted to stay true to my word that I would buy a car from Miguel. Plus, in the weeks that passed, the demand for the Carnival far exceeded the supply and dealers started raising the prices above MSRP, leaving me with very few choices, so I reluctantly agreed to purchase a Carnival that did not match my preferred color.

Objectionable Sales Tactics
I drove the 30 miles to the dealership on the same day to see the car in person. It was still covered in plastic and would not be ready for me to take delivery until the following day. While still sitting at the sales desk, I was brought a summary of the final pricing and saw an extra $1200 for “admin fees” and $300 for window tint (which I did not request). The sales manager could not identify or itemize a single cost contributing to the “admin fees” and after failing to do so, finally conceded that it was a way to recoup the lost revenue from selling the car at MSRP. Although I appreciated his honesty here, I was less than impressed with how dismissive he was of my patronage by implying that I was “lucky” to only be charged $1200 because he has “another customer willing to buy the car for $5k over MSRP”. I calmly explained that another customer’s priorities do not and should not influence my finances. He basically told me to take the “deal” or leave. Despite this terrible customer service experience, I signed the pricing agreement and planned to return the following day (June 3rd) to take delivery of the vehicle, expecting the worst to be behind me.

Finance Bait and Switch
I arrived shortly after 5:30pm on June 3rd to meet with the finance officer and take delivery of the vehicle. My purchase experience with Demontrond quickly turned from bad to worse when the finance officer informed me that I would not be “allowed” to finance the purchase at the advertised 1.9% APR through Kia Motors Finance and would instead be forced into 3.25% APR at the behest of the Sales Manager, despite being more than qualified for the lower interest rate. After going around in circles with the finance officer, he finally offered what he believed to be the truth: Demontrond management was using the higher interest rate to recover even more profit from selling this car for MSRP. Each of my requests to finance at my qualified rate of 1.9% was rejected, costing me an extra $1,000 in interest.
I was, and still am, absolutely disgusted by this business practice and feel compelled to share this experience with anyone who is willing to listen to ensure that no one else has to endure such a belittling car buying process. In general, car dealers already have a bad reputation and, with the exception of Miguel – who was wonderful to work with, Demontrond managed to completely live up to that reputation.
Fellow DeMontrond Kia customer here and have been waiting for a forum like this and I completely attest to the experience the original poster had. Here is my experience in detail.

In May it became a necessity for me to buy a car after I wrecked my CX-9 and I had my eyes on Carnival since it released it's pictures. I did a thorough research on the trim and specs and I knew I wanted a SX trim with Astra blue. Unfortunately Fort Bend Kia did not had one and couldn't give me a date when they would receive one. Archer Kia and Westside had one LX each and no news on SX. Stumbled upon DeMontrond and called the dealership and luckily they had a SX in astra coming in the next week. The sales person Jose told me the out the door price would be MSRP + TTL+ destination charges. I put down a $500 deposit over phone right then. Got a call from them the next week and they had my car ready for pick up. Until this point everything was moving as I expected but nothing could prepare me for the nightmare I had with the finance guy Shawn. He is one of the rudest guy I have ever had to encounter in service industry in my life.
Upon reviewing the price I saw a $1200 admin fee which was not discussed earlier and I asked him what was it for. He threw a question back at me saying I thought you knew the price before coming here. I said I did know my price and showed him the text message from the sales guy Jose confirming the selling price would be MSRP + destination charges + TTL. He said the 1200 applies to all purchases no matter what. I refused to take his word and even denied to take my deposit back and argued it's a breach of commitment and would go legal if you try to push that 1200 into the price. In comes the sales manager and he very politely makes me understands it is a markup that they won't disclose on phone pricing. I negotiated it down to $500 and I thought that was it. Before going into the dealership I knew Kia was offering 1.9% for 66 months and I have excellent credit and would easily qualify for it. But I did not say anything about it and wanted to see what they were offering. Shawn asked me what tenure are you looking for the loan and I said around 60 months is what we are looking at. He looked like he was cracking an enigma code on his computer and let out a sigh and said the best he could give me was 4.25% for 72 months. At this point I was pissed and wanted to leave but something made me to fight his BS. I mentioned about the Kia website which says 1.99% for 66 months and he said he doesn't know anything about it. I pulled up the figure on my phone and he acted like he was seeing it for the first time. He went to talk to the sales manager and came back and started typing stuff so I had to ask him what's the rate. He said well you said 1.99 and that is the rate, but he didn't had the guts to come back and tell me I do qualify for that rate. Upon finalizing he said he added 2000$ GAP insurance which I politely declined as I had already had a quote from AAA for 450. Shawn had the audacity to ask me do you know what a GAP insurance is and at that point I made it my mission to put him in his place. I told him he don't even know what Kia rates are on the website and have been trying to con us into his scheme from the moment we sat there so maybe he should just stick to conning uninformed poor souls who come in front of him who have no idea and let it be or else we are walking out at that moment.
Everything went super fast after that and we left with the car no thanks to you Shawn. I can't imagine how many people would have fallen into their deceit.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fellow DeMontrond Kia customer here and have been waiting for a forum like this and I completely attest to the experience the original poster had. Here is my experience in detail.

In May it became a necessity for me to buy a car after I wrecked my CX-9 and I had my eyes on Carnival since it released it's pictures. I did a thorough research on the trim and specs and I knew I wanted a SX trim with Astra blue. Unfortunately Fort Bend Kia did not had one and couldn't give me a date when they would receive one. Archer Kia and Westside had one LX each and no news on SX. Stumbled upon DeMontrond and called the dealership and luckily they had a SX in astra coming in the next week. The sales person Jose told me the out the door price would be MSRP + TTL+ destination charges. I put down a $500 deposit over phone right then. Got a call from them the next week and they had my car ready for pick up. Until this point everything was moving as I expected but nothing could prepare me for the nightmare I had with the finance guy Shawn. He is one of the rudest guy I have ever had to encounter in service industry in my life.
Upon reviewing the price I saw a $1200 admin fee which was not discussed earlier and I asked him what was it for. He threw a question back at me saying I thought you knew the price before coming here. I said I did know my price and showed him the text message from the sales guy Jose confirming the selling price would be MSRP + destination charges + TTL. He said the 1200 applies to all purchases no matter what. I refused to take his word and even denied to take my deposit back and argued it's a breach of commitment and would go legal if you try to push that 1200 into the price. In comes the sales manager and he very politely makes me understands it is a markup that they won't disclose on phone pricing. I negotiated it down to $500 and I thought that was it. Before going into the dealership I knew Kia was offering 1.9% for 66 months and I have excellent credit and would easily qualify for it. But I did not say anything about it and wanted to see what they were offering. Shawn asked me what tenure are you looking for the loan and I said around 60 months is what we are looking at. He looked like he was cracking an enigma code on his computer and let out a sigh and said the best he could give me was 4.25% for 72 months. At this point I was pissed and wanted to leave but something made me to fight his BS. I mentioned about the Kia website which says 1.99% for 66 months and he said he doesn't know anything about it. I pulled up the figure on my phone and he acted like he was seeing it for the first time. He went to talk to the sales manager and came back and started typing stuff so I had to ask him what's the rate. He said well you said 1.99 and that is the rate, but he didn't had the guts to come back and tell me I do qualify for that rate. Upon finalizing he said he added 2000$ GAP insurance which I politely declined as I had already had a quote from AAA for 450. Shawn had the audacity to ask me do you know what a GAP insurance is and at that point I made it my mission to put him in his place. I told him he don't even know what Kia rates are on the website and have been trying to con us into his scheme from the moment we sat there so maybe he should just stick to conning uninformed poor souls who come in front of him who have no idea and let it be or else we are walking out at that moment.
Everything went super fast after that and we left with the car no thanks to you Shawn. I can't imagine how many people would have fallen into their deceit.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I knew this was a sales tactic and not a one-off incident. A later emailed the sales manager about my experience and he said he was "entitled to my opinion". 😮

I was willing to move on until he said that. I blasted the dealers Facebook, Google, and Yelp pages with this review and was immediately contacted by the same sales manager basically begging me to change my reviews. I ultimately traded my reviews for a 2 year complimentary service package. This one is staying up though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts