Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
I own a 2014 Kia Optima with the UVO infotainment system running the original navigation software (probably from 2012 lol). It worked well enough when brand new but even then it was outdated and doesn't show any new roads or traffic conditions. It even has voice commands but they suck..

Me - "Call Mom"
Car - There are multiple results. Please select from the list below
  1. Kevin
  2. Samuel
  3. Franklin
  4. Larry
  5. Alexander
As you can tell, it was just easier to use my phone's navigation and voice commands and I haven't touched the factory UVO system since 2014.

So, fast forward to 2021 and I've been using Android Auto since the day I purchased this MPV for all of my navigation needs, but I finally decided to give the UVO Navigation system another chance. To my surprise, not only did the voice command actually work...

Me - Navigate to The Cheesecake Factory"
UVO - There are 2 choices, please select from the list below
  1. The Cheesecake Factory Downtown
  2. The Cheesecake Factory Uptown
Yay! It actually understood me and gave me the right choices. I select the correct location and it starts to navigate. I'm immediately impressed with the overhauled visuals. The map is 3D with colorful icons and even shows points of interest along the way in case you want to make an unplanned stop. Plus, the freeway exit signs are displayed with shocking levels of detail and accuracy to ensure you're in the correct lane for exiting.

I was moments away from ditching Google Maps altogether and just using the UVO system from that moment on until I got about a block away from my destination and could clearly see the restaurant on my left when the navigation told me to make a hard right and go the opposite direction of the restaurant. I tried it again with another destination the next day to see if this issue was a one-off, but the EXACT same issue occurred again. Once I got about a block away, the navigation told me to turn the opposite direction of my destination. It's a good thing I knew where I was going for both of these trial runs or I might have been dropped in the middle of nowhere each time.

Has anyone else tried the factory nav and seen this same issue in the last mile?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Background:
I own a 2014 Kia Optima with the UVO infotainment system running the original navigation software (probably from 2012 lol). It worked well enough when brand new but even then it was outdated and doesn't show any new roads or traffic conditions. It even has voice commands but they suck..

Me - "Call Mom"
Car - There are multiple results. Please select from the list below
  1. Kevin
  2. Samuel
  3. Franklin
  4. Larry
  5. Alexander
As you can tell, it was just easier to use my phone's navigation and voice commands and I haven't touched the factory UVO system since 2014.

So, fast forward to 2021 and I've been using Android Auto since the day I purchased this MPV for all of my navigation needs, but I finally decided to give the UVO Navigation system another chance. To my surprise, not only did the voice command actually work...

Me - Navigate to The Cheesecake Factory"
UVO - There are 2 choices, please select from the list below
  1. The Cheesecake Factory Downtown
  2. The Cheesecake Factory Uptown
Yay! It actually understood me and gave me the right choices. I select the correct location and it starts to navigate. I'm immediately impressed with the overhauled visuals. The map is 3D with colorful icons and even shows points of interest along the way in case you want to make an unplanned stop. Plus, the freeway exit signs are displayed with shocking levels of detail and accuracy to ensure you're in the correct lane for exiting.

I was moments away from ditching Google Maps altogether and just using the UVO system from that moment on until I got about a block away from my destination and could clearly see the restaurant on my left when the navigation told me to make a hard right and go the opposite direction of the restaurant. I tried it again with another destination the next day to see if this issue was a one-off, but the EXACT same issue occurred again. Once I got about a block away, the navigation told me to turn the opposite direction of my destination. It's a good thing I knew where I was going for both of these trial runs or I might have been dropped in the middle of nowhere each time.

Has anyone else tried the factory nav and seen this same issue in the last mile?
Yes we had the same issue on our last trip. My husband was pissed at me since I told him to follow the GPS lol!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts