Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like some vehicles got out with bad fuel rails. The attached instructions show your dealer or you how to check your fuel rail. I looked at mine from the passenger side under the intake with a flashlight and good glasses. I did not need the video scope they talk about. The row of numbers you are looking for is the row closest to the firewall. Mine was 1b14111Y. Out of the range of bad numbers 1b14120Y-1b14215Y according to the letter attached.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like some vehicles got out with bad fuel rails. The attached instructions show your dealer or you how to check your fuel rail. I looked at mine from the passenger side under the intake with a flashlight and good glasses. I did not need the video scope they talk about. The row of numbers you are looking for is the row closest to the firewall. Mine was 1b14111Y. Out of the range of bad numbers 1b14120Y-1b14215Y according to the letter attached.
View attachment 232
Thank you! Was it hard to get to?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
49 Posts
This is helpful. I was told mine should not be part of this recall but I will check anyways later today.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EXL, 2022 Carnival SX
78 Posts
You had to remove the engine cover?
What’s the liquid in the attachment?

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3 Posts
ONE AWAY from safety! We haven’t had any issues but it goes in today for them to “inspect” and fix.

·
Super Moderator
353 Posts
Unfortunately, ours is now stuck at the dealer until they can replace the fuel rail. No ETA as it isn't even a part they can order yet. What a mess. Hopefully we'll hear something better from Kia next week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You had to remove the engine cover?
What’s the liquid in the attachment?

View attachment 233
Yes, remove the cover and get on the passenger side and look under the intake manifold at the chrome fuel lines. The white sticker will be barely visible. You will need a light and good vision and some thing to push a wiring harness out of the way that is blocking the complete view of the sticker. Not sure about the liquid, I guess the radiator over flow bucket. In the picture in the above post the wiring harness is the black and white dotted thing right over the numbers. You can see in the bottom row his numbers are 1b14215X. The 215 is the key and it is in the range of 120-215 of bad fuel lines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, remove the cover and get on the passenger side and look under the intake manifold at the chrome fuel lines. The white sticker will be barely visible. You will need a light and good vision and some thing to push a wiring harness out of the way that is blocking the complete view of the sticker. Not sure about the liquid, I guess the radiator over flow bucket. In the picture in the above post the wiring harness is the black and white dotted thing right over the numbers. You can see in the bottom row his numbers are 1b14215X. The 215 is the key and it is in the range of 120-215 of bad fuel lines.
Engine cover just pops off. There are 4 posts with rubber grommets that snap on and off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you so much! How do I remove the engine cover, just pop it off?
Edit: See you answered my question before this post!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much! How do I remove the engine cover, just pop it off?
Edit: See you answered my question before this post!
The bottom of the numbers are toward the back of the vehicle and the top of the numbers are toward the front of the vehicle. The numbers read left to right, driver side to passenger side.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you. Did I get the right sticker?
Seems like my vehicle will be part of the recall (it’s 1/21). Can I drive it now or I have to wait for their remedy?
There’s some rust there. Is that normal?
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unfortunately, ours is now stuck at the dealer until they can replace the fuel rail. No ETA as it isn't even a part they can order yet. What a mess. Hopefully we'll hear something better from Kia next week.
Oh my! They said it’s dangerous to drive it?
I hope you got a loaner vehicle

·
Super Moderator
353 Posts
Loaner vehicle and yes, not safe to drive. If you are in the recall, I would take it immediately to a dealer. I imagine there is going to be a backlog of part orders and you’ll want to get on the list ASAP. Not only is there the toxicity of fuel vapor but there is a chance of fire or detonation depending on what the fuel comes in contact with. I think Kia did the right thing by placing the stop sale order until they could sort things out. It definitely impacts their bottom line by forcing buyers to wait or look elsewhere but it was the right thing to do for consumers and customers. Thinking back to the Toyota acceleration scandal they didn’t have nearly as robust a response. Yeah it sucks but glad to get this sorted now rather than getting stuck or worse in a couple months.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. Did I get the right sticker?
Seems like my vehicle will be part of the recall (it’s 1/21). Can I drive it now or I have to wait for their remedy?
There’s some rust there. Is that normal?
View attachment 237
Don’t know about the rust. Mine was not rusty. I would ask when you take it in. A lot of stuff gets replaced when they replace the fuel line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was able to check mine without removing the cover. I just needed an instrument (I used a screwdriver) to push the wiring to the side and a flashlight. I looked at it from the side that way and read the numbers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok, so after much grunting and groaning, neck twisting and cursing, my 69 year old bifocal eyes managed to make out a 112 number (I believe). So no issue with the fuel rail. Just need that 12V inverter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so after much grunting and groaning, neck twisting and cursing, my 69 year old bifocal eyes managed to make out a 112 number (I believe). So no issue with the fuel rail. Just need that 12V inverter.
I am the same, 69 and had to check 3 times to be sure mine was 111. Enjoy your MPV !!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts