Kia Carnival Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the grand scheme of things...how big of a fix is this for a mechanic? How many labor hours? Are they replacing the whole fuel rail or just the leaking plastic tube? This is assuming parts and components are available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is what the recall says;

SC211
NHTSA RECALL#
20V277

DESCRIPTION:
KIA MOTORS HAS DECIDED THAT A DEFECT WHICH
RELATES TO MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY EXISTS IN CERTAIN
2022 MY KIA CARNIVAL VEHICLES. THE DEFECT CAN
RESULT IN FUEL LEAKING THEREBY INCREASING THE
RISK OF A FIRE AND INJURY. THE MPI FUEL RAIL (ALSO
KNOWN AS LOW-PRESSURE FUEL DELIVERY PIPE) ON
YOUR VEHICLE MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED
DURING PRODUCTION AT THE COMPONENT SUPPLIER,
RESULTING IN DAMAGE TO THE PLASTIC FUEL RAIL TUBE.
A DAMAGED PLASTIC FUEL RAIL TUBE CAN CAUSE FUEL
TO LEAK. LEAKING FUEL INCREASES THE RISK OF FIRE,
THEREBY INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

SAFETY RISK
LEAKING FUEL CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF FIRE,
THEREBY INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY. IF FUEL
SMELL AND/OR LEAKAGE IS DETECTED, IMMEDIATELY
TURN OFF THE VEHICLE ENGINE, AND DO NOT DRIVE THE
VEHICLE. INSTEAD, PLEASE CONTACT KIA ROADSIDE
ASSISTANCE AT 1-800-333-4542 TO REQUEST TO HAVE
THE VEHICLE TOWED TO THE NEAREST AUTHORIZED KIA
DEALERSHIP.

REMEDY
KIA HAS ADVISED ITS AUTHORIZED DEALERS TO INSPECT
THE MPI FUEL RAIL TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE FUEL
RAIL FALLS WITHIN THE AFFECTED SUPPLIER LOT
PRODUCTION RANGE. IF THE LOT NUMBER ON THE MPI
FUEL RAIL FALLS WITHIN THE AFFECTED RANGE, THE MPI
FUEL RAIL WILL BE REPLACED WITH A NEW ONE. THIS
WORK WILL BE PERFORMED AT KIA'S EXPENSE AT NO
COST TO THE CUSTOMER. THE ACTUAL TIME REQUIRED
TO PERFORM THE REPAIR WILL BE APPROXIMATELY TWO
(2) TO THREE (3) HOURS. HOWEVER, THE VEHICLE MAY
BE NEEDED LONGER. WE RECOMMEND SCHEDULING A
SERVICE APPOINTMENT TO MINIMIZE INCONVENIENCE.
(REFER TO SC211.)

STATUS
RECALL INCOMPLETE

RECALL DATE
04/21/2021

UPDATED
04/24/2021

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ours is affected by the recall, but the dealer said no problem driving it, they’ll just let us know when the part comes in...makes me a little scared though

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ours is affected by the recall, but the dealer said no problem driving it, they’ll just let us know when the part comes in...makes me a little scared though
That's quite a bit of liability they are taking on by making that statement. Did you get it in writing or was it verbal? You may want to call KIA corporate to get clarification.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Loaner vehicle and yes, not safe to drive. If you are in the recall, I would take it immediately to a dealer. I imagine there is going to be a backlog of part orders and you’ll want to get on the list ASAP. Not only is there the toxicity of fuel vapor but there is a chance of fire or detonation depending on what the fuel comes in contact with. I think Kia did the right thing by placing the stop sale order until they could sort things out. It definitely impacts their bottom line by forcing buyers to wait or look elsewhere but it was the right thing to do for consumers and customers. Thinking back to the Toyota acceleration scandal they didn’t have nearly as robust a response. Yeah it sucks but glad to get this sorted now rather than getting stuck or worse in a couple months.
Speaking of the Toyota scandal this is a good take actually - ‎Revisionist History: Blame Game on Apple Podcasts if you folks haven't listened to it yet. Mass Hysteria is a very interesting and real phenomenon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's quite a bit of liability they are taking on by making that statement. Did you get it in writing or was it verbal? You may want to call KIA corporate to get clarification.
Just verbal. I’ve got a call in to Kia corporate who said they would call me back....

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EXL, 2022 Carnival SX
78 Posts
Just verbal. I’ve got a call in to Kia corporate who said they would call me back....
Don’t bank on it. I’m very unimpressed with their service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got an update from the dealer on whether we could have a rental(we’re affected by the recall)

unfortunately the recall has not been released, we have no other information regarding this, I would advise you to reach out to Kia since they released the info to you and maybe they can assist you further, I wish I could help you further..”

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just got an update from the dealer on whether we could have a rental(we’re affected by the recall)

unfortunately the recall has not been released, we have no other information regarding this, I would advise you to reach out to Kia since they released the info to you and maybe they can assist you further, I wish I could help you further..”
Standard runaround. Unfortunately

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is an interesting note from NHTSA website;

"Within a reasonable time after the determination of a safety defect or noncompliance, manufacturers must notify, by first-class mail, all registered owners and purchasers of the affected vehicles of the existence of the problem and give an evaluation of its risk to motor vehicle safety . The manufacturer must explain to consumers the potential safety hazards presented by the problem . Names of vehicle owners are obtained from State motor vehicle offices . The letter must also instruct consumers on how to get the problem corrected, remind them that corrections are to be made at no charge, inform them when the remedy will be available, how long the remedy will take to perform, and whom to contact if there is a problem in obtaining the free recall work ."

Another interesting note from Consumer Reports website;

"Currently, U.S. law requires auto manufacturers to alert owners when a vehicle has a recall, so that owners can take their car to a dealership, where the defect will be fixed for free. However, there are no laws requiring the owners to actually follow through and have the defect repaired."

According to Phantasm22, it sounds like dealers are obligated to hold vehicles that are found to have the suspect fuel rails.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I visited my local dealer last weekend as I saw an SX-P in their inventory online. This was after the national stop sale bulletin was released according to this forum. Saleman didn't know what I was talking about, but did know there was a recall as he stated that a sold car was coming back that day to be looked at. He states he didn't know what the recall was about and told me that the service department handles that. I would think that if you're the sales team then you should know this information as it directly affects you and your sales! This whole interaction was suspect.

·
Registered
208 Posts
After raising a big stink, it looks like we are in line to get our part tomorrow (hopefully). It took most of yesterday interfacing between our dealership and Kia corporate to move the needle. We went as far as going down the path to get our money back towards a new car because the timelines were going to impact our travel plans. I will say that Kia, being caught on their back foot, has seemingly managed this the best they can; offering rental or buyback options for our extenuating circumstances. But ultimately, it seems they have managed to find a part somewhere / somehow to fix our car.

I would like to shoutout to Ted at Kia of Lancaster, PA for really pushing Kia Corporate to do the right thing. Hopefully another couple of days and this will all be in the rearview mirror (for us).

·
Registered
78 Posts
You
After raising a big stink, it looks like we are in line to get our part tomorrow (hopefully). It took most of yesterday interfacing between our dealership and Kia corporate to move the needle. We went as far as going down the path to get our money back towards a new car because the timelines were going to impact our travel plans. I will say that Kia, being caught on their back foot, has seemingly managed this the best they can; offering rental or buyback options for our extenuating circumstances. But ultimately, it seems they have managed to find a part somewhere / somehow to fix our car.

I would like to shoutout to Ted at Kia of Lancaster, PA for really pushing Kia Corporate to do the right thing. Hopefully another couple of days and this will all be in the rearview mirror (for us).
You are one lucky man!
I have wasted so much time with Kia (phone, email and Twitter) trying to get this and my HDA issue resolved but I haven’t gotten anywhere yet.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts