Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy - new member. I picked up our brand new EX last Tuesday - got lucky and someone backed out of their order.

Two days ago, at 286 miles, check engine light came on. I made a service appt. and took it in the next day. I didn't notice anything off in driving.

Dealer says it's a code indicating a potential injector problem on cyl. 1. After monkeying with it for 3 hours, they also have no idea how to fix it. They don't know if it's an injector problem or a voltage problem, and they told me that the car is too new and they don't have the references to be able to troubleshoot it. They have to call Kia Tech and work with them, and they were "going home for the day" so no more progress could be made.

After I pleaded, they FINALLY sent me home with a loaner - a base K5, which is...not a Carnival EX - but pushing 24 hours later, they still haven't made made any progress (or, at least, none they've let me know about).

Pretty disappointing on a brand new, $40,000+ car. I recognize that small issues can happen, but...I'd also expect resources to be available to address them when they do. Planning to open a case with Kia Customer Service in a bit, which...I'm sure will yield absolutely nothing.

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
Howdy - new member. I picked up our brand new EX last Tuesday - got lucky and someone backed out of their order.

Two days ago, at 286 miles, check engine light came on. I made a service appt. and took it in the next day. I didn't notice anything off in driving.

Dealer says it's a code indicating a potential injector problem on cyl. 1. After monkeying with it for 3 hours, they also have no idea how to fix it. They don't know if it's an injector problem or a voltage problem, and they told me that the car is too new and they don't have the references to be able to troubleshoot it. They have to call Kia Tech and work with them, and they were "going home for the day" so no more progress could be made.

After I pleaded, they FINALLY sent me home with a loaner - a base K5, which is...not a Carnival EX - but pushing 24 hours later, they still haven't made made any progress (or, at least, none they've let me know about).

Pretty disappointing on a brand new, $40,000+ car. I recognize that small issues can happen, but...I'd also expect resources to be available to address them when they do. Planning to open a case with Kia Customer Service in a bit, which...I'm sure will yield absolutely nothing.
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to hear your first experience has been less than ideal. Many of us were affected by the day zero fuel rail recall and had less than optimal experiences with Kia trying to get it sorted. My suggestion would be to ask them to replace the injector to see if it resolves the issue. If not, then replace the voltage sensor. At some point of replacing parts, it will get fixed. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to hear your first experience has been less than ideal. Many of us were affected by the day zero fuel rail recall and had less than optimal experiences with Kia trying to get it sorted. My suggestion would be to ask them to replace the injector to see if it resolves the issue. If not, then replace the voltage sensor. At some point of replacing parts, it will get fixed. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Good ideas, both. Thanks.

We love the car a lot, just really bummed out to have run into this issue so quickly, and...the post-sales dealership experience has not been the best so far. My sales advisor also completely ghosted at the first sign of trouble, whereas she'd been very responsive before.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Haven't seen seen many fuel injector issues on this group, but I suggest that you search "fuel injector" on the "Kia Carnival Family of Owners" group on Facebook. There is a lot of noise in that group, unlike here where you get good advice that teaches you something or solves a problem, but regardless, I have seen a number of posts of people who had similar issues. You might want to look up the case of Ashley Elizabeth and maybe DM her. It took her over 40 days without the car to resolve. I would try to DM her. She may be able to save you time, and connect you with her deanship for some knowledge sharing.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Haven't seen seen many fuel injector issues on this group, but I suggest that you search "fuel injector" on the "Kia Carnival Family of Owners" group on Facebook. There is a lot of noise in that group, unlike here where you get good advice that teaches you something or solves a problem, but regardless, I have seen a number of posts of people who had similar issues. You might want to look up the case of Ashley Elizabeth and maybe DM her. It took her over 40 days without the car to resolve. I would try to DM her. She may be able to save you time, and connect you with her deanship for some knowledge sharing.
Good Luck!
LOL I'm so glad someone else finally said it... I didn't last more than a day in that FB group. Things over here are so much calmer and more organized.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts

Sorry to hear about this experience. Yes, the car is too expensive to have problems this early, but because it is so new, you're going to have to be patient with the service department. They don't have any stock of spare parts and every issue they see will be their first time for a while. As long as the car can be driven safely, you should be okay until they find a proper solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Contact corporate immediately. They will speed things up but their process is very slow as well.

Took almost 3 months and 2 dealerships for them to figure out I had 2 bad tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update on this. Dealership was advised to move the injector from cyl. 2 to see if the problem followed. They cleared the code, moved the injector...and then couldn't reproduce the issue. The code hasn't come back, so they released the car. However...we are now hitting a stumble around 40 MPH. It's very infrequent and doesn't appear to be yielding any codes, but it's scary when it happens; almost feels like the engine dies for a split second. Feels like the engine and not the transmission but...can't reliably reproduce it yet, so the dealership won't do anything.

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
Just an update on this. Dealership was advised to move the injector from cyl. 2 to see if the problem followed. They cleared the code, moved the injector...and then couldn't reproduce the issue. The code hasn't come back, so they released the car. However...we are now hitting a stumble around 40 MPH. It's very infrequent and doesn't appear to be yielding any codes, but it's scary when it happens; almost feels like the engine dies for a split second. Feels like the engine and not the transmission but...can't reliably reproduce it yet, so the dealership won't do anything.
Where did they move it to? If they just swapped injectors around, that doesn't seem like a very good approach to resolving the issue. I would contact Kia Corporate if you haven't already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did they move it to? If they just swapped injectors around, that doesn't seem like a very good approach to resolving the issue. I would contact Kia Corporate if you haven't already.
They moved it to cyl. 6 if I'm not mistaken, to see if the problem followed (indicating an injector problem). It didn't, at least not immediately...so they decided there was no real issue.

I did contact Kia Corporate but we've been playing phone tag so far, unfortunately.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My P219D code is back as of this morning. I finally spoke with Kia Corporate. The original case had been closed, so they reopened it. Next stop is the dealership, which I am very much not looking forward to. We do still have an infrequent stumble around 40 MPH as well.

Update: dealership is too busy to get me in until Tuesday. I told them I had a family road trip this weekend and planned on taking the Carnival unless they advised against it. They said no, it should be just fine to keep driving. I called Kia Corporate back and had them note that as a "just in case" so no one comes back and says, "Why the Hell did you keep driving it?"

Good times. Also - I don't know if it's reflective of anything, but the three people I've spoken with at Kia Corporate have been EXTREMELY friendly and sympathetic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts