Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right. I also didn't see the Carnival on any of the other notifications.
What prompt me to look into it was a post on a Carnival FB group of someone who described how they updated the software on their Carnival, and also the option on my system to press "update software" which I didn't want to do without knowing what happens if I do press it.
In general, with phones/computers, I am not inclined to update early, and tend to wait till I hear enough feedback that an update is stable. Even more so with a car... I was just curious if there is an update, and if there is what it is... I guess it might also depend on when a car was delivered. Later cars may include an earlier update.
I can see what version software I have on the display, but I couldn't find a Kia website that states what is the current/latest version for the software on the Carnival.

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
You are right. I also didn't see the Carnival on any of the other notifications.
What prompt me to look into it was a post on a Carnival FB group of someone who described how they updated the software on their Carnival, and also the option on my system to press "update software" which I didn't want to do without knowing what happens if I do press it.
In general, with phones/computers, I am not inclined to update early, and tend to wait till I hear enough feedback that an update is stable. Even more so with a car... I was just curious if there is an update, and if there is what it is... I guess it might also depend on when a car was delivered. Later cars may include an earlier update.
I can see what version software I have on the display, but I couldn't find a Kia website that states what is the current/latest version for the software on the Carnival.
Agree it's a bit of a black hole and I also wondered what the OTA updates were via the head unit vs the ones listed on the update website. When they do update, my wish list is that they fix the bug when in Apple Carplay mode using waze that when the cell signal gets dropped it doesn't crash Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree it's a bit of a black hole and I also wondered what the OTA updates were via the head unit vs the ones listed on the update website. When they do update, my wish list is that they fix the bug when in Apple Carplay mode using waze that when the cell signal gets dropped it doesn't crash Apple Carplay.
Hmm... that hasn't happened to me yet. I have been using Waze with no issues so far. My complaint is that the Waze integration is not as good as their own Nav. Can't get the split screen with Waze to show useful info...
I really don't like the Kia Nav, not intuitive and easy to use like Waze and doesn't show police traps. Not sure what the "navigation based" smart cruise control nscc does and what I am missing though...

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you click on the "list of vehicles eligible" for the update, the Carnival isn't listed.
It may not be listed there right now, but it shows up in the Navigation Updater program where you actually download the update.

...and also the option on my system to press "update software" which I didn't want to do without knowing what happens if I do press it...

You press the "update software" button when you have a USB stick with the update files plugged in to the data port on the Carnival (the main one you would use for connecting to CarPlay/AA). If you press that button when no file-containing device is connected, it will tell you so.

The easiest way to tell the software version is to look at your Map version. As listed on the website, it is updating you to 14.41.43.xx (often confusingly referred to as 15.0).

Presumably, all or most Carnivals have the previous version, which would give you Map version 13.47.50.xx (referred to as version 14.10, originally released in November 2020). You can confirm yourself on your own vehicle.

Agree it's a bit of a black hole and I also wondered what the OTA updates were via the head unit vs the ones listed on the update website...
There are no OTA updates, the only way for a consumer to update is these map and software updates via a USB stick purchased from Mapnsoft or downloaded directly from update.kia.com.

The dealer may also provide other firmware updates unrelated to this common functionality if ever needed.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Hmm... that hasn't happened to me yet. I have been using Waze with no issues so far. My complaint is that the Waze integration is not as good as their own Nav. Can't get the split screen with Waze to show useful info...
I really don't like the Kia Nav, not intuitive and easy to use like Waze and doesn't show police traps. Not sure what the "navigation based" smart cruise control nscc does and what I am missing though...
At the risk of going off-topic, I feel the same way about running Google Maps on Android Auto. The phone version lets me add speed traps, lane closures, road hazards, etc, but the AA version doesn't let you contribute anything. So if I see a mattress in the middle of the road, there is nothing I can do to alert the drivers behind me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If service at dealership, will they update the firmware for you?
Highly doubtful they will do these nav/software updates for you. They are unlikely to get reimbursed for them and they can be time consuming… plus, they can be performed easily at home.

The only update that a dealer would likely install for you would be something that isn’t consumer-facing and couldn’t be done at home.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
49 Posts
My dealership did it for me. Unfortunately, after the update the center console bluetooth is having issues with Youtube on RSE. It would not hold the connection for more than 10 minutes, and occasionally flash error message "unsupported audio format". Today the car is at dealer for second oil change (yes I put on 14,000 miles in <5 months), they might look at it again.

Honest I don't fully care about this issue. I found it much better to have a independent blue tooth speaker ($10 on amazon) sitting in armrest cupholder, connected to the seat side USB. With quiet mode, I basically get two zone audio :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealership did it for me. Unfortunately, after the update the center console bluetooth is having issues with Youtube on RSE. It would not hold the connection for more than 10 minutes, and occasionally flash error message "unsupported audio format". Today the car is at dealer for second oil change (yes I put on 14,000 miles in <5 months), they might look at it again.

Honest I don't fully care about this issue. I found it much better to have a independent blue tooth speaker ($10 on amazon) sitting in armrest cupholder, connected to the seat side USB. With quiet mode, I basically get two zone audio :)
Good for you getting good use of the car :) . Sounds like a creative audio solution. Please share a picture/link of your speakers when you have a chance. Would love to see it.

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts

I really like this mod. Please post pictures and links to your setup -- perhaps in the new mods sub-forum (you could be the first 😃). You have me thinking now about an old Echo Dot I have lying around. Hmm...

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
49 Posts
I really like this mod. Please post pictures and links to your setup -- perhaps in the new mods sub-forum (you could be the first 😃). You have me thinking now about an old Echo Dot I have lying around. Hmm...
Not a mod, more like a hack LOL. Unfortunately as I expected a mechanic would not really understand what I mean by streaming audio codec and ultrawide band communication. So this setup will continue for the time being.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts