Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up our 2023 Carnival SX last week (US version). The headlights are the LED reflector style. The light output is ok, but does anyone know what kind of bulb is in there?

Also, doesn't the SX Prestige have upgraded LED projector headlights?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to IIHS, the SX Prestige has MUCH better headlights than the other trims: 2022 Kia Carnival Minivan

I do not think replacing light bulbs will make a difference (if that is even possible). Brightness is not the issue, it is focusing that light on where you need it. That is what the projector does that reflects often struggle with.

I am really curious if it is possible to replace the entire headlight and upgrade to the SX Prestige's projectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I would be curious to know if the SX prestige headlights are a plug and play? Or are the connectors different and/or would the computer not like it?

I would disagree, reflectors can be very good if the reflector itself is ok and you have a bulb bright enough that also keeps the beam pattern tight and bright. Generally, I think there is just less room for error with a reflector.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, IIHS has tested some very good reflector headlights but it seems to me that the projectors generally perform better. I think because, as you mentioned, the engineering for a good reflector headlight is more complex than a projector headlight. But I am just guessing here. Anyway, it is disappointing that Kia is using a "Poor" rated headlight on the majority of the Carnivals that are sold when they have a "Good" rated headlight available. Seriously, how much more could the projector cost?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm curious to know what the headlight bulb numbers are on the the reflector low and high beam, as well as the fog lights. I can't find the information anywhere on the internet. My first go to would be some higher quality LED bulbs with better output to try first. But need to find the bulb info..........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a look yesterday a the SX headlights. The low beams appear to be chips with led's on them. I don't think they are a bulb at all. Also, the high beams I couldn't quite see the led's so couldn't see if it was a chip/board as well. I may try calling the local dealership to see what the service dept says.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I called the local dealership. They say the low beam and high beam bulbs are not replaceable and the LED's are designed to be lifetime. You would have to replace the entire headlight if any LED's went out. Supposedly the same deal for the SX Prestige projector style as well.

I'm wondering if the Korean aftermarket has any options?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts