Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love everything about my new Carnival EX......except the LED reflector headlights. Light is dim and scattered across the road with many dark spots. I know the SXP has brilliant LED projectors that got the best rating by the IIHS. But the LED reflector headlights in all of the lower trim levels got the lowest rating by the IIHS, Poor.

It never even crossed my mind that a brand new vehicle made in 2022 could have poor headlights. I mean it's 2022. We have the technology. And shame on me for not taking a test drive in the Carnival at night. It just never crossed my mind that this would be an issue.

But here we are. There has got to be a way to upgrade the LED bulbs to help improve the light output.

Anyone done this yet? Anyone know what the LED bulb type is? I can't even figure out how to get to the bulbs to see what type they are. It looks like I may have to remove the plastic shroud that is covering all of that stuff.

I also might try to angle the high beams down to help. I'll just have to drive around with the high beams on but whatever. I feel very unsafe driving at night right now especially on the highway. No way I can let my wife drive at night with our 4 daughters like this.

Hopefully an aftermarket LED projector comes out soon. Until then, looking for help with upgrading the LED bulbs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
643 Posts
So yes - the reflector housing is poorly designed for controlling the light scatter; however, upgrading the bulb will only exacerbate the issue. You need to replace the entire housing to one with a projector lens and that is a very expensive experiment ($800 ea) at the moment. I think you might be using a bit too much hyperbole though, to imply that driving at night is unsafe with the current design. Anyone who drove with halogen reflectors in the 90's will attest to how much better the LED reflectors are in the Carnival.

Additional discussion can be found here:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put plug n play HID's in my 2005 Scion tC which has a halogen reflector housing and it made my headlamps exponentially brighter. Did it blind other drivers a little? Sure it did. But that's a different story altogether.

Anyways, that is what I was hoping I could do here to improve this horrible lighting from my Carnival until aftermarket projectors come out... Put in a brighter bulb to get brighter output.

Maybe my bulbs are not pointed right or something. I'll get some pictures tomorrow to post to help display what I'm seeing. I'm getting almost no light at either corner of the Carnival. And about 10 feet in front of my Carnival, there's a huge shadow/dark spot that goes all the way across.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
643 Posts
I put plug n play HID's in my 2005 Scion tC which has a halogen reflector housing and it made my headlamps exponentially brighter. Did it blind other drivers a little? Sure it did. But that's a different story altogether.

Anyways, that is what I was hoping I could do here to improve this horrible lighting from my Carnival until aftermarket projectors come out... Put in a brighter bulb to get brighter output.

Maybe my bulbs are not pointed right or something. I'll get some pictures tomorrow to post to help display what I'm seeing. I'm getting almost no light at either corner of the Carnival. And about 10 feet in front of my Carnival, there's a huge shadow/dark spot that goes all the way across.
I did the same thing in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yes, the light was technically brighter; however, the contrast between the bright and dark spots was exacerbated as well, making the overall light output less desirable. I finally upgraded to projector housings and got a clean, even dispersion of light without blinding oncoming traffic. Once again though, the carnival's led output should be noticeably better than old halogen assemblies. Be patient and do it right the first time, unless there truly is something wrong with your lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts