Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sienna uses it's hybrid system to do AWD. The electric motor powers the rear wheels which is a neat setup and removes the need for a drive shaft that would no doubt rob the van of lots of interior space. It kills me that the current Carnival has no AWD. Large portions of North America could surely use it. I know you can go a long way with snow tires. Our Odyssey did remarkably well but I'd love to have the option of an AWD Carnival. The Sienna is so dated and even on day one, was about the least attractive van I've seen in recent decades. On paper though it has tons of appeal. It has a hybrid motor that Care and Driver measured 40+ mpg overall and has AWD. Not great ground clearance but still pretty good if you don't mind a super ugly van.

I assume the Carnival is on the same platform as the Telluride and no doubt it complicates their manufacturing but wishing they do. Honda too for that matter.

· Super Moderator
515 Posts
I would be shocked if their hybrid coming out in the next few months does not have AWD. I’m sure Kia is keenly aware of their competitive position against the Toyota Sienna and Chrysler Pacifica AWD models.

· Super Moderator
515 Posts
I expect an announcement sometime in Q1 with first deliveries starting in April/May similar to the original announcement of the Carnival. I don’t have any insider knowledge, so don’t hold me to this. 😀

· Registered
38 Posts
During my 2-year quest to buy a new van, I saw 1 new Toyota Sienna on the road and 0 new Kia Carnivals. Other van models on the road looked pretty old. AWD and hybrid engines are all very nice, but matter little compared to the current scarcity of both models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts