Kia Carnival Forum banner

Is the Wireless Phone Charger Ventilated (Fan Cooled)?

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Phantasm22 
#1 ·
Title says it all. A dealer said it was ventilated, but dealers have spotty track records when it comes to knowing anything about the cars they sell. I tried it for 15 minutes and my phone was hot enough to fry an egg. Granted, the car was already hot from the Texas summer sun, but has anyone else had a similar experience or know if there's a fan in there?

#2 ·
I heard that it was ventilated in a video by a guy from a dealership in Canada and he explained that it is made to prevent the phone from over heating by long usage which made a lot of sense. However, either the guy in the video was wrong, or it is another recall... or maybe it is a feature that is only available in Canada. Mine is definitely NOT ventilated...

#4 ·
Spent the whole day in the car yesterday and had my Samsung S10 in the charger all day, it was running as a hotspot for the kids and after 6 hours the phone was so hot it shut down and we had to let it cool before turning it back on. Think I'm going to turn off the wireless charging, and stick to USB charging, it really makes little sense if you are using the same phone for Android Auto and sitting in the Wireless charging area, it still needs to be plugged in.

#5 ·
Think I'm going to turn off the wireless charging, and stick to USB charging, it really makes little sense if you are using the same phone for Android Auto and sitting in the Wireless charging area, it still needs to be plugged in.
This exactly! Wireless AA would be great, but charging wirelessly is so slow and inefficient. The wireless charging can't keep up with the current draw caused by Android Auto. All you would be doing is draining the battery slower while making the phone run hotter.

#10 ·
I plug in my phone to use car play when I drive so I really don’t need the wireless charging as the USB port charges it anyway. Am not sure how the phone is charged when the usb cable is connected and it is put on the wireless charger - wired? Wireless? Both?
I put my phone in the slot between the cup holders and leave the wireless charger for others. So far it never got hot but haven’t gone on long rides yet. Will report next week after I do...
Might become an issue if I get a car2play adapter or a software update enables wireless CarPlay in the future on SXP

#13 ·
Not sure I would trust the manual on that. I’ve used the charger for 60+ hours at this point and if anything is running on my phone it does tend to warm up and get hot. There is absolutely nothing in there to keep your phone cool and if there is, it flat out doesn’t work. This could be similar to the 115v power outlets in that early versions didn’t work / were missing the inverter. Has anyone broached their dealership asking them to investigate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.