Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks to those who established this forum. We recently purchased a EX, moving from a lease on a Pacifica and love it so far.

Apologies for starting out with a question about a "negative" issue but wondered if anyone else has experienced issues with surging with gentle acceleration, seemingly while the transmission moves through low gears. I've noticed it while the AC is cranked so maybe it's just a strain issue but confirmed it's in normal mode and believe it should be broke in as we've put 500 miles beyond the nearly 700 that the manager at the dealership put on it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello and thanks to those who established this forum. We recently purchased a EX, moving from a lease on a Pacifica and love it so far.

Apologies for starting out with a question about a "negative" issue but wondered if anyone else has experienced issues with surging with gentle acceleration, seemingly while the transmission moves through low gears. I've noticed it while the AC is cranked so maybe it's just a strain issue but confirmed it's in normal mode and believe it should be broke in as we've put 500 miles beyond the nearly 700 that the manager at the dealership put on it.

Thanks in advance.
I have a EX also with 1500 miles and I have been noticing a slight surging. It started about 200-300 mile ago. It’s almost not noticeable then it kind of reminds you when you accelerate. I can tell you it was not doing this the first 1,000 miles. Something changed to start this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like there are similar issues going on... a bad batch of injectors from the factory seem to be the culprit, but we need more people to go to the dealerships and complain about the problem before Kia will issue a recall/campaign to fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same issue as well. People on the forum are calling the issue a Surg/Surging or in my description a Shimmer when accelerating at low speeds and the shimmer happens around 40 to 55 mph. I had a similar issue with my 2014 Toyota RAV4 around the 75,000 mile mark, it turned out to be bad torque converters from the factory. Toyota owners reported enough 2013 to 2014 RAV4 for "shimmering" and "Surging" that Toyota sent out a customer notice to have the car inspected by a trained technician if customers experienced surging or shimmering while driving at any speed. KIA should be addressing these issues like Toyota did (even at 75,000 miles).

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I also had the A/C on Max today in the front and back of the Carnival and the engine surged and the A/C blowers hesitated/slowed down when coming to a stop and or making turns from a dead stop. The transmission is still shimmering at low speeds/gentle acceleration but now the shimming starts at 25 to 30 mph instead of 40 to 55 with the A/C on Max. This is really frustrating and I'm about to sell this van after a week of ownership.

·
Super Moderator
501 Posts
A couple things you can try: 1) when you are nearly out of gas, try putting at least a few gallons of top tier 93 octane in there. After using another gallon then it should have the fuel lines flushed with the old gas. Where safe and legal to do, floor it to see if it moves the timing forward and flushes the fuel injectors. 2) if that doesn’t work, you can try resetting the ECU to go through the re-learn process. Usually this is done by pulling the negative terminal cable on your battery for 10 mins or so. Note: doing this will most likely reset everything, including memory seats, radio presets, BT connections, etc. I say most likely because I’ve not done it and am not sure what components may have their own battery backup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A couple things you can try: 1) when you are nearly out of gas, try putting at least a few gallons of top tier 93 octane in there. After using another gallon then it should have the fuel lines flushed with the old gas. Where safe and legal to do, floor it to see if it moves the timing forward and flushes the fuel injectors. 2) if that doesn’t work, you can try resetting the ECU to go through the re-learn process. Usually this is done by pulling the negative terminal cable on your battery for 10 mins or so. Note: doing this will most likely reset everything, including memory seats, radio presets, BT connections, etc. I say most likely because I’ve not done it and am not sure what components may have their own battery backup.
I tried the two things you suggested today and thank you for taking the time to make those possible fixes. The Carnival still surges around 25 mph to 35 mph and around 45 mph to 55 mph. I m going to take it into the dealership and see if they can diagnose this problem and fix it. I will let the Kia technicians know about the possible bad fuel injectors people have noted on the Kia forums. This is just really disappointing being a first time Kia Owner and only having 380 miles on Carnival. I'll keep everyone updated on the outcome and actions taken by Kia to resolve this weird surging issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Did Kia fix this issue you were having? I'm dealing with a similar issue if not the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
501 Posts
I tried the two things you suggested today and thank you for taking the time to make those possible fixes. The Carnival still surges around 25 mph to 35 mph and around 45 mph to 55 mph. I m going to take it into the dealership and see if they can diagnose this problem and fix it. I will let the Kia technicians know about the possible bad fuel injectors people have noted on the Kia forums. This is just really disappointing being a first time Kia Owner and only having 380 miles on Carnival. I'll keep everyone updated on the outcome and actions taken by Kia to resolve this weird surging issue.
Sorry to hear that it didn’t work. Hopefully the dealership can figure out the issue.

I forgot to mention that it usually take around 100 miles for the ECU re-learn how you drive. Another thing you can check is the engine air filter. If that’s clogged, you will definitely have issues. But given your low mileage, it’s highly unlikely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts