Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I just got home after purchasing a Carnival. My wife bought our Carnival SX at Kia of Wesley Chapel in Florida. I drove over from New Orleans to take delivery and just got home from the trip. They made the whole thing so easy! My wife did everything over the phone, paperwork was overnighted to us. She signed everything with a Notary. We scanned it all to email to them to to make sure they were happy with it all and I brought it with me and handed it to them when I arrived. After a quick this is how it all works I was on the way back home. I spent more time jabbering with the sales people than this whole deal took.
We have an Astra Blue SX, I drove off the lot at $46,000. We have spoke with every Kia dealer Dallas to Miami. Either no stock, couldn't sell because of recall or I have seen anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 mark up. We pay 9.45% sales tax in my area.
All in all a great experience!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey everyone,

So I just got home after purchasing a Carnival. My wife bought our Carnival SX at Kia of Wesley Chapel in Florida. I drove over from New Orleans to take delivery and just got home from the trip. They made the whole thing so easy! My wife did everything over the phone, paperwork was overnighted to us. She signed everything with a Notary. We scanned it all to email to them to to make sure they were happy with it all and I brought it with me and handed it to them when I arrived. After a quick this is how it all works I was on the way back home. I spent more time jabbering with the sales people than this whole deal took.
We have an Astra Blue SX, I drove off the lot at $46,000. We have spoke with every Kia dealer Dallas to Miami. Either no stock, couldn't sell because of recall or I have seen anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 mark up. We pay 9.45% sales tax in my area.
Congrats!! I'd love to see some photos when you have some time. I'm debating between Astra Blue and Flare Red.

$46K OTD is pretty darn good, especially considering what's going on in certain areas.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can do some tomorrow. It's my wife's rig and she is working. I havent seen it since I got home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have the same SX.. I love mine; except I can’t get the entertainment system to work other than the baby shark videos

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey everyone,

Whoa! 9.45% tax? Wow! $46K for an SX I guess is not the worst. I met someone who paid $48K. I shook my head in disbelief. I got mine for $41,688K OTD in a small town in NY after discounts and no tax (thanks to my husband's VA rating).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Whoa! 9.45% tax? Wow! $46K for an SX I guess is not the worst. I met someone who paid $48K. I shook my head in disbelief. I got mine for $41,688K OTD in a small town in NY after discounts and no tax (thanks to my husband's VA rating).
Wowsers! Couple of quick questions.
  • What is a VA rating and why does that exclude your husband from having to pay sales tax?
  • What discounts did you receive? Amazing to get it OTD that low when freight & handling is almost $1,200 itself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wowsers! Couple of quick questions.
  • What is a VA rating and why does that exclude your husband from having to pay sales tax?
  • What discounts did you receive? Amazing to get it OTD that low when freight & handling is almost $1,200 itself.
* My husband was in the military and I'm still Active Duty. VA is Veteran's Affairs. You get a rating based on your injuries that you acquired because of military service. So if you receive 100% rating on your VA disability rating, you are exempt from sales tax and property tax in some states. We are in VA and they just implemented that early this year.

* i got the $400 military rebate. The car was originally listed at $41,799 on the dealership's website and they tried to change it to $42,830. They honored the original price. NY has one of the lowest doc fee (cap of $75). I researched a lot of dealerships in my area and surrounding states on who has the best price, good dealership rating. I also used Your Auto Advocate template emails, used their marketplace report to get the Market Value Price. I refuse to pay over MSRP and I ignored dealerships that have mark ups claiming they are marking it up because of market conditions which is a bunch of BS.

Lesson learned: look into smaller towns when buying a car. They almost always don't have the ridiculous mark up because they want to earn business and don't want to rub people the wrong way being that they are in a small town (where most people know each other). I found great prices in a small town in PA, NY, and CT.
*Also, do an extensive research. Try to get invoice pricing. Always be in control when negotiating. Yes, the car may be popular now but you are the one paying for it.
*Don't fall for "mandatory" car protection. One dealership near me said it was mandatory for their dealership to have the Zurich shield. Nothing is mandatory unless it's listed on the car's Monroney sticker.
*If it's taxable, it's negotiable even doc fees.

Which color did you get/are getting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thx for sharing your purchase experience and congrats on the great purchase!! I am in the market for a Carnival too. I live in the Bay Area of CA. Any idea when lots will have decent inventory? The supply seems very limited. I assume that is because the car is both brand new as a model and also very popular. I worry that when the supply is this low that the prices will always be high, but I am fine to wait...Just want to see if you guys think that's like a 6 month wait or a 2 year wait! Till there are cars on the lot and you can negotiate just like most other new cars.

Thx for any input!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thx for sharing your purchase experience and congrats on the great purchase!! I am in the market for a Carnival too. I live in the Bay Area of CA. Any idea when lots will have decent inventory? The supply seems very limited. I assume that is because the car is both brand new as a model and also very popular. I worry that when the supply is this low that the prices will always be high, but I am fine to wait...Just want to see if you guys think that's like a 6 month wait or a 2 year wait! Till there are cars on the lot and you can negotiate just like most other new cars.

Thx for any input!!
You may have to wait unless you find a place that sells for cheap and are willing to ship but shipping is expensive so it doesn't make a lot of sense. Inventory should get better maybe by the end of the year or early next year not just because the vehicle is so new but also the microchip shortage on all brand new cars to include Kia. If you are willing to wait, then I'd wait it out unless you want to also pre-order. When I did my research, I didn't want to pay over $45K OTD. That was the max amount I was willing to pay. I knew going in most places won't negotiate but like I said look into smaller towns. You'll have better luck with them than dealerships in bigger cities.
Hope this helps and thank you! You'll fall in love with this vehicle. Have you test driven one yet? I didn't even test drive it before I bought it because I knew it's what I wanted to get lol! Good luck and let me know if you need help with email templates!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appreciate the fast response. Makes a lot of sense. I wasn't sure how long the chip shortage would impact the market, but the timing seems reasonable. Thx!

·
Registered
158 Posts
* My husband was in the military and I'm still Active Duty. VA is Veteran's Affairs. You get a rating based on your injuries that you acquired because of military service. So if you receive 100% rating on your VA disability rating, you are exempt from sales tax and property tax in some states. We are in VA and they just implemented that early this year.

* i got the $400 military rebate. The car was originally listed at $41,799 on the dealership's website and they tried to change it to $42,830. They honored the original price. NY has one of the lowest doc fee (cap of $75). I researched a lot of dealerships in my area and surrounding states on who has the best price, good dealership rating. I also used Your Auto Advocate template emails, used their marketplace report to get the Market Value Price. I refuse to pay over MSRP and I ignored dealerships that have mark ups claiming they are marking it up because of market conditions which is a bunch of BS.

Lesson learned: look into smaller towns when buying a car. They almost always don't have the ridiculous mark up because they want to earn business and don't want to rub people the wrong way being that they are in a small town (where most people know each other). I found great prices in a small town in PA, NY, and CT.
*Also, do an extensive research. Try to get invoice pricing. Always be in control when negotiating. Yes, the car may be popular now but you are the one paying for it.
*Don't fall for "mandatory" car protection. One dealership near me said it was mandatory for their dealership to have the Zurich shield. Nothing is mandatory unless it's listed on the car's Monroney sticker.
*If it's taxable, it's negotiable even doc fees.

Which color did you get/are getting?
Thank you so much for the detailed explanations!

Out of curiosity, approximately what would your OTD price be if you had to pay sales tax?

·
Registered
113 Posts
$43,400 - $41,700 = $1,700 if you did have to pay sales tax. $1,700 sales tax on a $42K purchase, that's only 4%. Dang, I need to move where you are!
Lol!!! Yeah...I'm in Virginia. Car sales tax is 4.15%. The regular (retail) sales tax is 5.3% but car sales tax is 4.15. Definitely lower than a lot of places. Delaware, Massachusetts, and some other states have zero sales tax! Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi! Just put a deposit down on an Astra Blue EX, and am excited to take delivery in ~2 weeks. For those interested- there is a markup in the Boston area of around 2k. I ended up getting MSRP, which I’m happy to pay considering the supply/demand.

Also- Massachusetts car tax is 6.25%. New Hampshire has no sales tax, so buying across the border seems logical however MA collects the tax when you register the vehicle. Unless you have a P.O. Box in NH they will make sure you pay your tax!!!! Haha!

·
Registered
2022 Carnival SX
11 Posts
Hey everyone,

Awesome to hear that. I purchased my astra blue SX last week and ended up paying over $48k. The SXP in this area are going for $53k+. Went to three KIA dealerships and they all said the same thing. MSRP is just a starting point at this point.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Awesome to hear that. I purchased my astra blue SX last week and ended up paying over $48k. The SXP in this area are going for $53k+. Went to three KIA dealerships and they all said the same thing. MSRP is just a starting point at this point.
Wow! 48k for the SX trim? That's a complete rip off! Is that with taxes or without?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts