Kia Carnival Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2021 Sienna vs 2022 Carnival has been my family's debate this year. For a while the Sienna had me sold no questions asked with the gas mileage here in Florida(and road tripping anywhere for that matter). But, as time has passed we're leaning more heavily toward the Carnival, either the EX or SX. not 100% sure yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was comparing the two as well and was leaning sienna until I sat in one. Did not like it at all, even tried several trims but I just was not feeling it. The Carnival I liked immediately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Both has pros and cons. Sienna was my first choice because of Toyota's reliability and mpg, but due low supply, I was unable to get a good deal on one locally. Also, I'd have to wait an average of 3 months for it to arrive.

However, Sienna is not perfect. Spare tire is not standard. The engine is loud during heavy acceleration. It may feel slower once the van is loaded with passengers and luggage. The rims on all trims are plastic. The third row doesn't fold down flush. Second row seat cannot be detached.

The Carnival has everything I'd want in a van. However, it was my second choice because Kia's reliability and quality is still in question. Only time will tell if they finally overcome their stigma. I'm glad Kia was on top of the fuel leak recall. I just hope that was the only thing that could cause fire to the engine and that there are no more flaws.

Fortunately, I was able to get a good deal on one at a local dealership. I'll be picking up my Carnival soon!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Through the 3.5k miles we’ve had our Carnival, we’ve averaged 24mpg during that time. Highway, you can get 28mpg if you drive reasonably, 26 if you drive faster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both has pros and cons. Sienna was my first choice because of Toyota's reliability and mpg, but due low supply, I was unable to get a good deal on one locally. Also, I'd have to wait an average of 3 months for it to arrive.

However, Sienna is not perfect. Spare tire is not standard. The engine is loud during heavy acceleration. It may feel slower once the van is loaded with passengers and luggage. The rims on all trims are plastic. The third row doesn't fold down flush. Second row seat cannot be detached.

The Carnival has everything I'd want in a van. However, it was my second choice because Kia's reliability and quality is still in question. Only time will tell if they finally overcome their stigma. I'm glad Kia was on top of the fuel leak recall. I just hope that was the only thing that could cause fire to the engine and that there are no more flaws.

Fortunately, I was able to get a good deal on one at a local dealership. I'll be picking it up soon.
Sienna was our first choice to and were disappointed by engine and noise as well. Another thing that no one talks about is the design of the tailgate that is flush to the bumper. So much tech goes into that tailgate that what would be a small dent in the bumper can become a potentially very expensive fix of the hatch. Tesla went with a similar design with one of their cars and their forums are filled with unlucky/unhappy customers. Toyota probably went with that design to get more storage space in the already much smaller storage space they had compared to other minivan, because of the hybrid batteries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 2021 Sienna vs 2022 Carnival has been my family's debate this year. For a while the Sienna had me sold no questions asked with the gas mileage here in Florida(and road tripping anywhere for that matter). But, as time has passed we're leaning more heavily toward the Carnival, either the EX or SX. not 100% sure yet.
Very similar for us, I’m convinced governments will dramatically ramp up fuel taxes to combat climate change so the Sienna initially looked like the obvious choice.

However when I compared the models and realized how technically superior the Carnival was, I ran the numbers on our assumed fuel consumption at double the fuel prices and the savings on carnival on purchase was a wash with the fuel savings of the Sienna and resale advantage.
Hearing about the breaking issues of the Sienna all but clinched the Carnival decision for me.
That said if I can see a spec sheet for the 2022 Sienna before August, I may have a decision to make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts