Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am waiting on my carnival SXP and I am at the top of the factory order list. this is driving me bat shit crazy every time I look at the dealership I am buying from website and they are charging ridiculous amounts over MSRP thus most likely reducing their own allocations and extending my waiting time exponentially. I am paying 4K over MSRP and they are now charging between 6k and 9k on all of their cars. 4K on a 51,000 van is somewhat reasonable, but they are charging 6-7k on models that sell for 30k. Kia dealerships in large part are the greediest in the industry as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you are custom ordering, it's not to the factory or dealership's benefit to do custom orders. It's to their benefit to sell their current inventory. You're never going to get a better deal even with other dealers. There's a good video on how this model works at this video:
It's an uphill battle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not really looking to get a better deal, just wondering how much it slows down their volume thus allocations by charging upwards of 25% above MSRP. Kia seems to be the worst, the dealership I’m working with for example has a $28,000 k5 that they are listing at 34,000. I’m going to make an assumption that no one that is in the market for a under 30k car is going to say wow I should buy this 28k kia for 34k. Just an observation really. in terms of carnival they have a $36000 LX asking $45000. I just don’t see many people buying that, and than in turn their allocation which to my understanding don’t get fulfilled until they sell the units they have. Just seems kinda stupid for dealers to charge outlandish market adjustments. I think buyers are finally getting more and more hesitant to pay these very inflated market adjustments. I hope so anyway.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
680 Posts
I’m not really looking to get a better deal, just wondering how much it slows down their volume thus allocations by charging upwards of 25% above MSRP. Kia seems to be the worst, the dealership I’m working with for example has a $28,000 k5 that they are listing at 34,000. I’m going to make an assumption that no one that is in the market for a under 30k car is going to say wow I should buy this 28k kia for 34k. Just an observation really. in terms of carnival they have a $36000 LX asking $45000. I just don’t see many people buying that, and than in turn their allocation which to my understanding don’t get fulfilled until they sell the units they have. Just seems kinda stupid for dealers to charge outlandish market adjustments. I think buyers are finally getting more and more hesitant to pay these very inflated market adjustments. I hope so anyway.
What's outlandish to you is affordable to someone else. The demand is driving the pricing up. You're right though, at some point, people will say enough is enough and the pricing will either level off or start to come back down to earth. Until then, it's every man for himself out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s affordable to me, however the 4K markup I agreed to is not really the smartest purchase in history at 7, 8, 9k on a Kia or for that matter any common make and model it is definitely a bad buy. So I hope that at least there is some line in the sand that consumers aren’t willing to cross to level the market back out. Time will tell

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you even really "order" one I was told by one dealer that they just get allocated a certain amount based on voulme and then if it happens to match what you want they might call you to let you know but it's not like they are making one just like you ordered with them such as Tesla for example.

One dealer I talked to was taking $1000 deposits to "order" it and was only charging a $2000 sticker markup.

Another dealer said they aren't charging any mark up but to just call them the second week of every month to see what they have allocated and coming to them and if it would be something I would want.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
680 Posts
Can you even really "order" one I was told by one dealer that they just get allocated a certain amount based on voulme and then if it happens to match what you want they might call you to let you know but it's not like they are making one just like you ordered with them such as Tesla for example.

One dealer I talked to was taking $1000 deposits to "order" it and was only charging a $2000 sticker markup.

Another dealer said they aren't charging any mark up but to just call them the second week of every month to see what they have allocated and coming to them and if it would be something I would want.
Yes, you can order one from the factory, but those take the longest. I've seen members on this site waiting 9 months to a year for a factory order in this current market. The fastest way to get a car is to reserve an inbound dealer allocation - which some people mistakenly refer to as ordering. It follows a similar procedure whereby the buyer pays a deposit and specifies trim and color combination then waits for a vehicle matching that combo to be delivered. It feels like you're placing an order, but you won't get custom accessories at the factory like tow hitches or mud guards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Kia does allow factory orders, off subject but Toyota does not. Dealerships submit basically a wish list to the manufacturer and the manufacturer may or may not fill it. I did talk to a Toyota dealership that wanted a deposit and wasn’t being honest that the deposit wasn’t actually for a factory order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
KIA of Fargo ND is selling all KIA Carnivals at MSRP. They are not marking up above MSRP and they are not forcing customers to buy dealer packages such as undercoating, etc. I just placed an order there last week for a red Carnival SXP and did not need to put any money down. We worked with Mike Aguilar, nice knowledgeable guy, I would recommend him. He said that KIA of Fargo is getting orders from people in Alaska, NY, etc because of their pricing. Cheaper for customers to pay MSRP + a plane ticket to Fargo than buy from their local KIA dealer. He said their lead time has been about 6-9 months. They recently received a red and a black Carnival that I'm sure will soon be off their lot once the customers pick them up.
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts