Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few observations:

1. The brakes are super smooth during normal stops, but a little on the soft side, and not slowing the car as aggressively as I would like.
2. Slowing from higher speeds (above 40) I find the ABS kicks in more often than I'd expect, especially if I hit a bump while braking.
3. The matte gray calipers would look great if they were more of a gloss red or maybe tuscan umber.

Anyone else noticing the same?

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
Brakes are soft IMHO and require more than linear input to brake quickly and smoothly. I'll likely put on more aggressive pads once they are up for replacement. I've never had the ABS kick on, under any circumstance (I've experienced) thus far.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brakes are soft IMHO and require more than linear input to brake quickly and smoothly. I'll likely put on more aggressive pads once they are up for replacement. I've never had the ABS kick on, under any circumstance (I've experienced) thus far.
I may be noticing just the slightest pulsation in the pedal and mistaking it for ABS. But yeah, the more I drive it, the more obvious it is that the input is not linear and leaves me guessing as I try to come to a smooth stop. I don't mind throwing on more aggressive pads but doesn't that chew away at the rotors too?

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
I may be noticing just the slightest pulsation in the pedal and mistaking it for ABS. But yeah, the more I drive it, the more obvious it is that the input is not linear and leaves me guessing as I try to come to a smooth stop. I don't mind throwing on more aggressive pads but doesn't that chew away at the rotors too?
Yes. It will chew away at the rotors but that's sort of the nature of the beast. The more aggressive the pads, the more wear on rotors and the more stopping power you have (absent other factors like transmission braking). Larger rotors and even larger pads (with larger calipers) can mitigate some of the wear but then you are talking big bucks and won't likely see a reasonable ROI.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. It will chew away at the rotors but that's sort of the nature of the beast. The more aggressive the pads, the more wear on rotors and the more stopping power you have (absent other factors like transmission braking). Larger rotors and even larger pads (with larger calipers) can mitigate some of the wear but then you are talking big bucks and won't likely see a reasonable ROI.
And I was just thinking how the front calipers looked a little small for a vehicle this big.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts