Kia Carnival Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless you are willing to remove the Rear LED Tailight assembly off the vehicle don’t bother. I just left the Kia Dealership for the second time today. After they told me they would need to take the interior trim off, I went home and did just that. Removed all the trim and still couldn’t figure out how to replace the bulbs. I took the vehicle back up there with all the trim removed. I asked them if they could show me how to do it because I couldn’t figure it out. They said the only two ways they could see it being possible is to remove the entire LED Tail Light Assembly or to pry the clear plastic lens away from the license plate bulb assembly which could break it. That lens has an adhesive to the assembly which I’m sure is for weatherproofing to keep moisture away from the connector/ wiring. Prying it risks cracking the clear lens. I’m not willing to remove the entire light bar from the tailgate.
Even the Kia Service Technician couldn’t believe it.
we sat there for 20-30 minutes looking for any other way to access the bulbs, him going back and forth from the vehicle to his computer, and trying to access the bulbs from the outside of the tailgate.
I give up.
Daytime Water Nature Hood Tree
White Hood Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
696 Posts
Unless you are willing to remove the Rear LED Tailight assembly off the vehicle don’t bother. I just left the Kia Dealership for the second time today. After they told me they would need to take the interior trim off, I went home and did just that. Removed all the trim and still couldn’t figure out how to replace the bulbs. I took the vehicle back up there with all the trim removed. I asked them if they could show me how to do it because I couldn’t figure it out. They said the only two ways they could see it being possible is to remove the entire LED Tail Light Assembly or to pry the clear plastic lens away from the license plate bulb assembly which could break it. That lens has an adhesive to the assembly which I’m sure is for weatherproofing to keep moisture away from the connector/ wiring. Prying it risks cracking the clear lens. I’m not willing to remove the entire light bar from the tailgate.
Even the Kia Service Technician couldn’t believe it.
we sat there for 20-30 minutes looking for any other way to access the bulbs, him going back and forth from the vehicle to his computer, and trying to access the bulbs from the outside of the tailgate.
I give up.
View attachment 1003 View attachment 1004 View attachment 1005 View attachment 1006
1. Bummer
2. Your dealer technician is way cooler than mine - they'd never let me tinker alongside them.
3. That first photo looks really good in a way that is hard to describe. A mundane shot of your liftgate but from a really cool perspective with lots of dynamic range. Nice!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not mine, I haven’t taken it apart, but this is from behind the LED light bar. You can see the issue we’re all having l. The black peg is holding the wiring hostage and not allowing any play for the lighting assembly to come down. The only way to fix this issue is going to be taking off the interior trim of the liftgate, removing the LED Tailight Bar, and clipping that peg to release the wiring. Might as well change them while you have it completely out but for the future it should solve the issue . If anyone gets this far maybe they can test it out. I have a buddy coming Sunday to help me out. I’m not comfortable unbolting that Taillight without someone at the exterior of the gate in case it comes out freely.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Hood

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
696 Posts
Tackled it today. Got it done. Only way to do it is to Remove the LED bar on the liftgate. Freeing the wires will not make this process easier in the future. There isn’t enough wire there. View attachment 1012
Can you offer a little description on how you did this? Or, better yet, start a how-to thread in the maintenance and mods sub-forum and link it here?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts