Kia Carnival Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Spent the evening polishing the front end in prep for PPF. All high-impact areas are getting protected, Hood, bumper, mirrors, and area around the tailgate. Used Sonax Perfect Finish and a Meguiars microfiber polishing pad (for those who are interested).

The dealer-installed front plate frame really does a number on the bumper. 🤦‍♂️

They were kind enough to mail us our perm. tags, I put this Weathertech plate frame on all my cars.

Also, I always find something in my randomly assigned plate frames. In this case, the first 3 digits = S54, which was the internal BMW code for the engine that was in the E46 BMW M3 among others. :cool:

Dropping off for PPF tomorrow, the installer will have the car for the next few days.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
458 Posts
Spent the evening polishing the front end in prep for PPF. All high-impact areas are getting protected, Hood, bumper, mirrors, and area around the tailgate. Used Sonax Perfect Finish and a Meguiars microfiber polishing pad (for those who are interested).

They were kind enough to mail us our perm. tags, I put this Weathertech plate frame on all my cars.

Also, I always find something in my randomly assigned plate frames. In this case, the first 3 digits = S54, which was the internal BMW code for the engine that was in the E46 BMW M3 among others. :cool:

Dropping off for PPF tomorrow, the installer will have the car for the next few days.
Just some cautionary advice... You may want to consider blurring your license plate photo when posting online. You'd be amazed by how much personal info people can get from that.

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts

You could start a second job as a detailer. Just wow.

A long time ago I swore I would never live in a state that requires front license plates. So sad to see such beautiful cars desecrated by ugly license plates. I read recently there is a bill in TX that would allow for no front license plates for cars that don’t natively have a front license plate spot. That is one of my last holdouts to moving there. 😀

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just some cautionary advice... You may want to consider blurring your license plate photo when posting online. You'd be amazed by how much personal info people can get from that.
Before the Driver's Privacy Protection Act was passed someone could have DMV look up your registration info by plate number and use it. Now it is much less of an issue. To get any private info a person would need plate number and VIN at the very least, then access to an insurance system which is tracked and regulated, or law enforcement. Anything else is just going to show vehicle make / model and registration status but no personal info.

That said, obv people have various levels of comfort w this but I’ve posted my plated cars online for years with no issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You could start a second job as a detailer. Just wow.

A long time ago I swore I would never live in a state that requires front license plates. So sad to see such beautiful cars desecrated by ugly license plates. I read recently there is a bill in TX that would allow for no front license plates for cars that don’t natively have a front license plate spot. That is one of my last holdouts to moving there. 😀
Thank you! Yes, the front plates are brutal. I do not have them on the front of the 911 and the police seem to leave me alone about it (so far at least). Def not putting holes on that bumper! I do wish I could have found a different plate solution for this car that didn't involve drilling.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
458 Posts
Thank you! Yes, the front plates are brutal. I do not have them on the front of the 911 and the police seem to leave me alone about it (so far at least). Def not putting holes on that bumper! I do wish I could have found a different plate solution for this car that didn't involve drilling.
I find that if you're not breaking any other laws while driving, then most cops won't care about the front plate being missing or a vanity plate. But if you're going 20 mph over the speed limit while driving drunk, then they're probably going to ding you for the front plate just for good measure. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Yippie! My local Kia dealer called and my factory crossbars have arrived.

Packaging

Everything in the box & associated hardware

End caps have the new KIA logo, but it is rather subdued which is nice.

Mounting guidance from KIA - helpful if you buy aftermarket bars

Added some anti-seize to the threads as a precaution

Front bar on, plenty of clearance for the sunroof. It looks like it could be mounted forward a bit more but I'll just go w the instructions.

Rear bar mounts just forward of the rear support for the roof rails

Looks awesome! Can't wait to get my roof box on it.

Overall the install took me about 30min, and I was taking my time. I am happy with the overall quality/fit/finish of the bars. I almost went with Thule instead but figured since it was a newer vehicle I'd go with OEM. Peace of mind when having a load on top of your vehicle.

Just a couple of notes from Kia that bear repeating:
  • Do not exceed 165lbs weight on the crossbars (box included)
  • Evenly distribute loads
  • Refer to your cargo box manufacturer for guidance on maximum highway speeds.
EDIT: One more rather interesting tidbit, in the instructions it says to reach out to Yakima for support - so I have to figure that they are manufacturing these crossbars under contract for Kia. I am unable to tell if there is a comparable Yakima model in the same size/spec, but interesting to note.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Packaging

Front bar on, plenty of clearance for the sunroof. It looks like it could be mounted forward a bit more but I'll just go w the instructions.

Overall the install took me about 30min, and I was taking my time. I am happy with the overall quality/fit/finish of the bars. I almost went with Thule instead but figured since it was a newer vehicle I'd go with OEM. Peace of mind when having a load on top of your vehicle.

Looks really great and thank you for the detailed instructions and pics.

I wonder why they say 27.5 inch between the bars ? I agree with you that it looks like you can space them out more w/o interfering with the sunroof... with 12ft paddle boards would prefer to space them out as much as possible.

Do you know what's the car's height with the bars? I am pretty sure I should be able to make it into my garage with the rooftop box on (might be tight), but will probably have to adjust the paddle board lift to park under it with the box on in the winter...

Also, would be great if you could update on noise level when you have a chance to drive it on the highway. Some people complained about aftermarket crossbars' noise level so I wonder how the OEMs are...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Car is away getting PPF but the deliveries keep coming in.

Thule Vector cargo box!

Albeit a bit pricey (I think this is the top end of the Thule line), we ultimately decided on this box vs the Motion as we liked the lower profile more, and also have the matching Thule GoPack+1 duffel bag set for the 5 of us. The big idea is everyone's bag can go in the cargo carrier, freeing up interior space for our long trips. Can't wait to test it all out once the car gets back!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Car is back from PPF and it looks great! Roof box is installed as well, really digging the functionality of this vehicle.

Also took time to fully decontaminate the glass, polish, and seal with glassparancy.

Excited to hit the road later today and start our trip to South Carolina. Can't wait to see how the vehicle does on a long trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We are back from our ~1600 mile road trip to South Carolina and back. Have a couple of key observations on the Carnival after putting so many road miles on it.
  • Def disable lane keep assist on rural roads, I found many situations where I was fighting it going around long sweeping corners - it kept wanting to 'push' the car to the outside of the road. Can be borderline dangerous if you are not ready for it.
  • Radar cruise works like a charm and is great
  • The nannies in the car are a bit overdone. blindspot beeping, lane drift beeping, etc. Oftentimes I was fighting it while doing exactly what I was intending to do. I do not remember this being as intrusive in recent model Audi's and BMW's / etc.
  • The infotainment radio interface is absolutely atrocious - is a list view of all SiriusXM channels too much to ask? I also had multiple instances of having the radio on and carplay cutting off the sound, only to go back to the radio and having the channel reset to the default 1, starting the whole circus over again. (I mostly listen to spotify via carplay anyway, but I was particularly annoyed by the clunkiness of the system in general)
  • The seatbelt chime would not stop going off even though I was sitting in the car in park with the engine running.
All minor issues, but seem to be software-related annoyances that hopefully Kia will address in time with more updates (or perhaps there are options in the menus that I just have not dug enough for yet).

The biggest issue I encountered though, is that the factory instructions on where to mount the crossbars for the cargo box are completely BUNK. It looks as if it is instructing to leave enough room to avoid the sunroof hitting the front crossbar, but the result is that the roof rail is not strong enough in the middle, and creates a wobbly mess while driving at highway speeds. When we were in South Carolina, I repositioned everything and it 100% remedied the issue.

Now for some pics.

Before hitting the road, we got a nice shoutout from Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC on YouTube).

Can't say enough about this Thule cargo box system. it was perfect for fitting all of our gear.

The normal trunk area was filled with our SUP board and road bike amongst other items for the trip. Kept the cabin nice and free of clutter.

Repositioned the crossbars (as mentioned above). Moving the forward bar toward the front of the vehicle completely stabilized my box.

On the trip back we got 28mpg with the cargo box on regular-grade Shell. This is particularly impressive considering we were on 81 north through the mountains.

Overall the trip was a huge success. The kids loved the carnival and no complaining was to be seen which was great! Aside from the nags above, the car is a pleasure to drive on a long trip like this, and we certainly made the right choice in buying it.

Oh, and I got a kick over how many people would point or look at our car - totally unexpected for an ahem, MPV. 😂

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
458 Posts
We are back from our ~1600 mile road trip to South Carolina and back. Have a couple of key observations on the Carnival after putting so many road miles on it.
  • Def disable lane keep assist on rural roads, I found many situations where I was fighting it going around long sweeping corners - it kept wanting to 'push' the car to the outside of the road. Can be borderline dangerous if you are not ready for it.
  • The nannies in the car are a bit overdone. blindspot beeping, lane drift beeping, etc. Oftentimes I was fighting it while doing exactly what I was intending to do. I do not remember this being as intrusive in recent model Audi's and BMW's / etc.
  • The infotainment radio interface is absolutely atrocious - is a list view of all SiriusXM channels too much to ask? I also had multiple instances of having the radio on and carplay cutting off the sound, only to go back to the radio and having the channel reset to the default 1, starting the whole circus over again. (I mostly listen to spotify via carplay anyway, but I was particularly annoyed by the clunkiness of the system in general)
  • The seatbelt chime would not stop going off even though I was sitting in the car in park with the engine running.
All minor issues, but seem to be software-related annoyances that hopefully Kia will address in time with more updates (or perhaps there are options in the menus that I just have not dug enough for yet).

The biggest issue I encountered though, is that the factory instructions on where to mount the crossbars for the cargo box are completely BUNK. It looks as if it is instructing to leave enough room to avoid the sunroof hitting the front crossbar, but the result is that the roof rail is not strong enough in the middle, and creates a wobbly mess while driving at highway speeds. When we were in South Carolina, I repositioned everything and it 100% remedied the issue.

Now for some pics.

Before hitting the road, we got a nice shoutout from Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC on YouTube).

Can't say enough about this Thule cargo box system. it was perfect for fitting all of our gear.

The normal trunk area was filled with our SUP board and road bike amongst other items for the trip. Kept the cabin nice and free of clutter.

Repositioned the crossbars (as mentioned above). Moving the forward bar toward the front of the vehicle completely stabilized my box.

On the trip back we got 28mpg with the cargo box on regular-grade Shell. This is particularly impressive considering we were on 81 north through the mountains.

Overall the trip was a huge success. The kids loved the carnival and no complaining was to be seen which was great! Aside from the nags above, the car is a pleasure to drive on a long trip like this, and we certainly made the right choice in buying it.

Oh, and I got a kick over how many people would point or look at our car - totally unexpected for an ahem, MPV. 😂
Nice review! And yeah, I haven't gotten this many looks and comments in a car since my 2011 Camaro SS. I don't buy my cars for the attention, but it's still kinda nice to receive.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Now for some pics.

Great review. Thx!
3 questions:
1. What Model is the Thule box? It looks awesome!
2. Can you still open the sunroof after you moved the crossbars forward?
3. Do you know what is the total height of the car with the box?

·
Registered
12 Posts

Now for some pics.

Packaging

EDIT: One more rather interesting tidbit, in the instructions it says to reach out to Yakima for support - so I have to figure that they are manufacturing these crossbars under contract for Kia. I am unable to tell if there is a comparable Yakima model in the same size/spec, but interesting to note.
What is the length of the OEM bars? I see people reference 53” and others reference 60”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

The family here is super excited for our latest addition, a 2022 Kia Carnival in Ceramic Silver. Though my spouse will be the primary super-user of this vehicle, I am excited to dig into it as well, exploring the nuances of the launch-year Carnival. Firstly, perhaps a bit on what lead us to purchase this vehicle. We have 3 soon to be teens and we were shopping everything in the 3-row SUV segment. The Honda Pilot was our primary option, with the Telluride running second. When covid hit, we put our plans on pause for a bit as we were not traveling as much as we were pre-pandemic. As the kids continued to grow, we both realized that even a Pilot would have been a mistake as the 3rd row would quickly become cramped. I found out about the Carnival from many of the 'car youtube' channels that I frequent. We checked it out at a local dealer and were totally sold on getting one (except at THAT local dealer, as they wanted a huge markup over MSRP). We were quickly able to locate our Ceramic Silver vehicle at Matt Blatt Kia in Toms River, NJ at a much more reasonable cost (MSRP plus a minor markup - a sign of the times...). To the dealership's credit though, markup aside it was one of the easiest and best car buying experiences I have ever had.

A bit about me, I am a bit of a car nut. I have owned various BMW's including M cars, Audi S cars, Hondas, trucks, CUV's, the list goes on and on. Currently, my 2019 Porsche 911 T is my baby, and I daily a 2019 CRV or 2006 Chevy Colorado beater truck. I also have an E36 M3 that I am in various stages of restoring, that thread can be found here on Bimmerforums if you are into such things.

Anyhow, enough about me, let's get on to the car.

As mentioned our spec is 2022 in Ceramic Silver. It has a dark interior - which hopefully will be easier keeping clean considering the 3 kids and their friends. Oh, one more thing about me, car detailing by blacktiedetailing is a bit of a passion of mine, so we will talk about that some more in these posts as well.

Our Carnival on delivery day:

The sales team was great at walking us through how to set everything up:

Home just in time for a wash with its siblings. Yes my garage is a disaster at the moment. 😂

I am super impressed with the finishes on the interior, even if it is going to be a fingerprint magnet.

Honestly, I'd rather be sitting back here!

(My)CRV v. (Her)Carnival, a showdown of the daily drivers in the Costco parking lot:
Looks good

21 - 40 of 40 Posts