I finally got around to doing our first oil change. Not because of mileage but because we are just about to our 1 year mark of ownership. The overall process was pretty simple but there are some things that I’ll add to the video above that will help others.
- The vehicle sits pretty low, so you will need to raise it up to get at the filter and drain plug. I had a set of low profile ramps that worked out perfectly.
- You’ll want to have a 17mm and 27mm socket. Using a crescent wrench is going to take a long time with filter removal.
- The filter comes off the plastic end piece using a moderate amount of force. Don’t bend the filter, just slight turn and pull straight out at the same time.
- When inserting the filter into the receiver housing next to the engine block, note there is a specific hole for the nipple on the filter to align with. You can feel this by hand but make sure you don’t try tightening unless this is fully aligned
- For me, 6 full quarts was the perfect amount. I put 5 in to start and it was barely registering on the dipstick. 6 qts left it about 1/8” short of the full line after running the engine for a few mins and letting the oil settle
Here are some pictures that might be helpful.
Oil pan drain plug above