Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2022 Kia Carnival in Dec 21- in flare red. Within 3 weeks, I noticed 3 paint chips on the hood of the car and now 8 weeks in, there are so many , I have lost count. The dealer I purchased it from was no help. I called consumer affairs and they denied it saying it was rock chips which is so hard to believe as no paint expert has even looked at the vehicle. I am still on my journey to figure this out, might be trading it back.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
680 Posts
I don't know much about automotive paint, but I've got some experience with industrial enamels and epoxies. I assume the same rules apply with them too. The paint is only as strong as the bond it has to the substrate below. Extreme weather and temps can result in premature flaking/chipping of paints that were improperly applied. Since it's winter time, are you in an extremely cold climate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! No, I live in GA about 40 miles NE of Atlanta, I took it to a body shop yesterday and the guy said that these vehicle are manufactured in Korea so they may not be to US standards. I am going to still escalate this with KIA, he said all the little hits were down to the primer. Its so new that he doesnt even have paint to match it. He recommended getting it covered to prevent any further ones. He did note that the bigger ones do show some impact (rocks) but not the smaller ones. He has only had two carnivals come to him, me being the second and he is a certified KIA shop.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
680 Posts
Hey! No, I live in GA about 40 miles NE of Atlanta, I took it to a body shop yesterday and the guy said that these vehicle are manufactured in Korea so they may not be to US standards. I am going to still escalate this with KIA, he said all the little hits were down to the primer. Its so new that he doesnt even have paint to match it. He recommended getting it covered to prevent any further ones. He did note that the bigger ones do show some impact (rocks) but not the smaller ones. He has only had two carnivals come to him, me being the second and he is a certified KIA shop.
Yeah, clear paint protection films are a great way to stop the chipping, but be prepared to drop $2k for the coverage you need. Maybe it's worth it to you, but I find that after the new car smell wears off, I'm less likely to care about the little cosmetic imperfections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.