Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

My wife and I have had our Carnival for almost a month now. I'm a huge perfectionist when it comes to technology and I have to say that initially I was a little disappointed with the carnivals RSE. For those that don't know, the carnival does not come with a DVD player and you pretty much need a hotspot to make anything work.

Well I've finally found a way to make everything work for us (95% of the way).

1. I got a Verizon HumX and plugged it into the cars OBD port to create an in car WiFi. (This added $10 a month to our existing Verizon plan). Wifi automatically starts when the car turns on.

2. I've hooked up a Chromecast to the Rear Seat Entertainment system. (I'll explain more of why I did this.)

3. Make sure you download the RSE remote app on your phone.

Now that those steps have been discussed, let's dive in to how it all ties together. The RSE remote app allows me to turn on/off the entertainment system from the front seat. I can select the mode I want to use (HDMI - for the Chromecast) and now I can stream and control everything from my phone! In the front seat! We have a 2.5 year old sitting in the back so this option helps tremendously and it works. I say 95% because the audio does lag and when I sync audio through the system, the audio actually skips and it's like nail on a chalkboard for me. That's the last piece that I really need to figure out otherwise, everything else works like a charm and my wife is extremely happy that she can even do all this on her own if I'm not with her.

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
You can also try using a Roku which gives you similar functionality including the ability to stream remotely from your phone. For Wi-Fi some people have used a portable Wi-Fi router like this one.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
So far, the built in kids mode has all the preloaded entertainment my toddler needs. No need for us to install or pay extra for hotspots. But the added remote control would be nice on longer road trips. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
So far, the built in kids mode has all the preloaded entertainment my toddler needs. No need for us to install or pay extra for hotspots. But the added remote control would be nice on longer road trips. Thanks for the suggestions!
I did this over the weekend. I installed an old Roku HD stick that I had lying around and set it up to use our phone's mobile hotspot. The HDMI input results in an extrapolated resolution vs a native resolution which isn't nearly as crisp as the native. My assumption is that the native resolution of the screen is probably something in between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 and the Roku only has the option of 1080p and 720p. That said, the Roku will remember the wifi settings and I just have to 'flip' the hotspot on my phone and Roku connects seamlessly. This was our biggest complaint with the Kia settings. Once it didn't detect a wifi connection, it would 'lose' the memory of the wifi password and would have to be re-entered every time. That plus having a real remote plus the ability to cast to the Roku as solved 99% of our problems with the rear entertainment system. Oh, and the USB port on the back of the monitors supports at least 1A output as my Roku didn't complain about low power.

·
Registered
2022 EX+
21 Posts
Sounds like a good setup, for some reason Kia didn't put the RES in Canadian models, even our top trim doesn't have it.

I've been trying to figure out the best tablet and tablet mount (Kia makes a mount) to buy, I plan on just pre downloading cocomelon and others on netflix/prime the night before we go to the cottage etc so no wifi will really be needed. We'll use the built in speakers of the tablet and eventually BT headphones. The one thing I've been trying to figure out is how will we control the tablet from the front seat to go to the next episode or hit continue watching when netflix asks. Your solution for this sounds good on the oem setup. Haven't explored the remote apps for iphone/ipad yet but there has to be something, maybe even a solution where we could hit continue from our apple watch or siri. I refuse to go back in time and start buying DVD's lol. For now our toddler doesn't know netflix is an option in the car yet, but we do have a decent road trip planned soon.

·
Registered
2022 EX+
21 Posts
Sounds like a good setup, for some reason Kia didn't put the RES in Canadian models, even our top trim doesn't have it.

I've been trying to figure out the best tablet and tablet mount (Kia makes a mount) to buy, I plan on just pre downloading cocomelon and others on netflix/prime the night before we go to the cottage etc so no wifi will really be needed. We'll use the built in speakers of the tablet and eventually BT headphones. The one thing I've been trying to figure out is how will we control the tablet from the front seat to go to the next episode or hit continue watching when netflix asks. Your solution for this sounds good on the oem setup. Haven't explored the remote apps for iphone/ipad yet but there has to be something, maybe even a solution where we could hit continue from our apple watch or siri. I refuse to go back in time and start buying DVD's lol. For now our toddler doesn't know netflix is an option in the car yet, but we do have a decent road trip planned soon.
Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but amazon is full of little Bluetooth remotes that work with ipads, I think this will likely be our solution to control our ipad from the front when its mount to a head rest. Our toddler is still rear facing so its nice to have the freedom to move the mount and ipad around wherever we want. I suppose Bluetooth is an option for audio as well if we wanted to hear cocomelon blasting on the vans speakers.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
I suppose Bluetooth is an option for audio as well if we wanted to hear cocomelon blasting on the vans speakers.
As a parent of a toddler, I have to ask why would you ever chose to put yourself through that torture?! o_O

·
Registered
100 Posts
The rear entertainment system has gone unused all summer by my 13 year old. She just uses her ipad or her phone. Too had they don't just fold away!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
The rear entertainment system has gone unused all summer by my 13 year old. She just uses her ipad or her phone. Too had they don't just fold away!
Take them off - takes 5 min and a single philips head screw driver.

·
Registered
2022 EX+
21 Posts
As a parent of a toddler, I have to ask why would you ever chose to put yourself through that torture?! o_O
I don't think we ever will, but it is an audio option for us in Canada who have no oem RES. Bluetooth remote and tablet mount should be in today, look forward to testing it out, I'm sure the ipad speakers will be all we need for cocomelon audio haha.

I ordered the Satechi BT remote off amazon, reading the reviews people are using it for the same purpose as my intentions, just to control an ipad from the front seat, so I have high hopes for this aftermarket setup.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you think I could remove one tv and move it to the back row? My poor 2 yr old can’t see over the seats!
Unfortunately that's not possible because of the way they are mounted and of course the power supply. Your best option for the 3rd row is to get a tablet and attach is to the headrest of a second-row seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all!

My wife and I have had our Carnival for almost a month now. I'm a huge perfectionist when it comes to technology and I have to say that initially I was a little disappointed with the carnivals RSE. For those that don't know, the carnival does not come with a DVD player and you pretty much need a hotspot to make anything work.

Well I've finally found a way to make everything work for us (95% of the way).

1. I got a Verizon HumX and plugged it into the cars OBD port to create an in car WiFi. (This added $10 a month to our existing Verizon plan). Wifi automatically starts when the car turns on.

2. I've hooked up a Chromecast to the Rear Seat Entertainment system. (I'll explain more of why I did this.)

3. Make sure you download the RSE remote app on your phone.

Now that those steps have been discussed, let's dive in to how it all ties together. The RSE remote app allows me to turn on/off the entertainment system from the front seat. I can select the mode I want to use (HDMI - for the Chromecast) and now I can stream and control everything from my phone! In the front seat! We have a 2.5 year old sitting in the back so this option helps tremendously and it works. I say 95% because the audio does lag and when I sync audio through the system, the audio actually skips and it's like nail on a chalkboard for me. That's the last piece that I really need to figure out otherwise, everything else works like a charm and my wife is extremely happy that she can even do all this on her own if I'm not with her.
Thanks for the info! I’m so getting the VZW HumX

1 - 15 of 15 Posts