Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my locale had temps in -5 to +10 deg F for over 48 hours, with sustained winds of 30-50 mph from the southwest the whole time. I thought this would be a good example of the Carnival's remote started capability. The night before I had set the heat level to MAX, the fan level to MAX and direction at DEFROST. I don't have a way to make the rear window wires melt that ice by remote starting.
The car started quickly and ran its scheduled 10 minutes before shutting down as programmed. I got suited up for the weather,went out and got inside. There was no discernible warmth inside. All the windows were still coated with about 3/16" of hard ice. I wasn't able to start the rear window defrost remotely, so the rear windows were as bad as the windshield.
There was no way I intended to stand outside in that weather, no matter how well dressed I was for the conditions, and chop away at that kind of ice.
Kia designers in their wisdom don't allow me to remote start the thing more than one time before I must go into the driver's seat and start the car the usual way.
At that point I started the car manually, turned on the back window defrost, went back inside, and let it idle for 30 to 40 minutes, until the ice could easily be removed from the windows to allow me to see where I was going.
The limit the Kia designers have put on remote starting pretty much cancels out its benefit under severe cold or icing conditions. I was glad the door latches didn't freeze solid.

· Super Moderator
515 Posts
When you remote start, it will automatically set the inside temperature to 72* regardless of what was previously set. This is to prevent liability should there be occupants or something else that could get damaged from extreme heat or cold being accidentally set. Best bet is to remote start and use the app to set the temperature.

· Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
738 Posts
When you remote start, it will automatically set the inside temperature to 72* regardless of what was previously set. This is to prevent liability should there be occupants or something else that could get damaged from extreme heat or cold being accidentally set. Best bet is to remote start and use the app to set the temperature.
And if you simply use the app to start the car, you can preset the winter/summer HVAC settings and include defrost.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For me the issue with "warming up" a car in very cold weather is only visibility out the windows. I have posted elsewhere on this forum my routine preparations for driving in extreme cold conditions. I don't need the car's interior to be warm once I get inside and I don't need heated car seats. I just want to see through the windows and mirrors before I move the vehicle. 10 minutes of running the engine will not clear my visibility when things are that bad. Occasionally even scraping the ice off the windshield produces only a brief period of adequate visibility before the glass is again obscured, either on the outside or the inside, by condensation.
Maybe the best solution would be a block heater for the worst weather.
I don't know about the app that controls the temperature settings inside. I have a 2023 LX model.

· Registered
39 Posts
Last week my locale had temps in -5 to +10 deg F for over 48 hours, with sustained winds of 30-50 mph from the southwest the whole time. I thought this would be a good example of the Carnival's remote started capability. The night before I had set the heat level to MAX, the fan level to MAX and direction at DEFROST. I don't have a way to make the rear window wires melt that ice by remote starting.
The car started quickly and ran its scheduled 10 minutes before shutting down as programmed. I got suited up for the weather,went out and got inside. There was no discernible warmth inside. All the windows were still coated with about 3/16" of hard ice. I wasn't able to start the rear window defrost remotely, so the rear windows were as bad as the windshield.
There was no way I intended to stand outside in that weather, no matter how well dressed I was for the conditions, and chop away at that kind of ice.
Kia designers in their wisdom don't allow me to remote start the thing more than one time before I must go into the driver's seat and start the car the usual way.
At that point I started the car manually, turned on the back window defrost, went back inside, and let it idle for 30 to 40 minutes, until the ice could easily be removed from the windows to allow me to see where I was going.
The limit the Kia designers have put on remote starting pretty much cancels out its benefit under severe cold or icing conditions. I was glad the door latches didn't freeze solid.
This is one of my biggest issues with the car. I cannot stand that I have to pay $100 a year just to remote start from the app just so I can set the heat to high. Not only that but even from day 1 they still have no option in the app to turn on the heated steering wheel. The only way it will come on is if you set a scheduled remote start with everything on and high and then for some reason it will turn the heater wheel on. It's beyond stupid. Also 10 minutes before shut off is clearly not enough for this car. It should be 15 mins

· Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
738 Posts
This is one of my biggest issues with the car. I cannot stand that I have to pay $100 a year just to remote start from the app just so I can set the heat to high. Not only that but even from day 1 they still have no option in the app to turn on the heated steering wheel. The only way it will come on is if you set a scheduled remote start with everything on and high and then for some reason it will turn the heater wheel on. It's beyond stupid. Also 10 minutes before shut off is clearly not enough for this car. It should be 15 mins
I wish it was only $100/year. I think it's closer to $150. I refused to pay the app tax.

· Registered
2023 SXP
3 Posts
Font Screenshot Communication Device Technology Gadget

my app allows me to turn on heated steering wheel remotely. 2023 SXP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts