Kia Carnival Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I have the update on a thumbdrive and trying to figure out the best time/way to upload/install it into my Carni. Kia recommends to keep the engine running, but 1-2 hours is ridiculous and with the gas prices I'm literally burning money. I'm guessing you'd (@UN-Limited) would still recommend not turning on the engine and uploading/installing it in accessory mode? Any other recommendations to ensure my battery won't die (maybe it's not that taxing on the battery, but I've been in the driveway playing with settings before and Carni will warn my the battery is being drained within like 2 minutes of just sitting in accessories mode.). Thanks in advance.
However, I can offer some general tips that may help:
  1. It's best to follow Kia's recommendation to keep the engine running during the update process, especially if the update involves the engine or other important components of your vehicle. This can prevent any potential damage or malfunctions.
  2. If you're concerned about fuel consumption, you can consider scheduling the update when you need to run other errands or go for a drive. This way, you can combine the update with your regular activities and minimize any additional fuel usage.
  3. If you prefer not to keep the engine running, you can install the update in accessory mode. However, this may drain your battery faster, especially if you have other electronics running. To prevent this, you can turn off other electrical accessories (such as the radio or air conditioning) and avoid prolonged use of the update software.
  4. If you're worried about your battery dying, you can use a battery maintainer or charger to keep the battery charged during the update process. Just be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines.
Ultimately, the best approach depends on your specific situation and the update requirements. If you have any doubts or questions, it's always a good idea to consult your vehicle's manual or contact Kia customer support for guidance.

· Registered
4 Posts
I updated my software using the instructions on the kia owners page and now my rear screens connect to the car hotspot where before the update they did not.

Thanks for the info.
That's great to hear that the software update worked and your rear screens are now able to connect to the car hotspot. It's always a good idea to keep your software up to date as it can help to improve the performance and functionality of your car. If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to the Kia support team for assistance.

· Registered
4 Posts
This seems impossible. Trying the navigation updater software I login and it says no vehicles registered even though my car is on the kia website. I click signup later and go to my car. I selection the thumb drive of a formatted exFAT system as it exactly tells me to do so. Click next and updates are unavailable. So I guess their updater just doesn't work. Ok ill do it manually. I go to the website , select gen2v and select the only carnival download they have. Website tells me to put the zip file onto a FAT32 formatted thumb drive instead so I do. Go to my car and it says no update files. Tried putting the zip file back onto an exFAT formatted drive and still no update files. What else am I supposed to do to get this to work?
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the navigation updater software for your Kia. It sounds frustrating that despite following the instructions on the website, you're still unable to update your car's navigation system.

One thing to double-check is whether your car is compatible with the specific update you're trying to install. It's possible that there's a different update available for your car model or that there's a technical issue preventing the update from being recognized.

If you've already tried different formatting options for the thumb drive and still can't get the update to work, you may want to reach out to Kia's customer support for further assistance. They may be able to provide you with additional troubleshooting steps or help you get in touch with a technician who can diagnose the issue.

In any case, I hope you're able to get your navigation system updated soon so you can get back on the road with confidence.

· Registered
4 Posts
Did the update tonight and it took about 90 minutes. A couple tips that I didn't see in this thread or the Kia instructions:
  • Formatting the USB drive as ExFAT on a Mac works just fine (not sure about the regular FAT (DOS) format that Mac's Disk Utility also offers
  • When you download the files, you'll get an "NaU" folder with a "2022_Carnival_USA" folder within. In that folder are all the files the car will need to update. You need to put all those files into the main directory of the USB drive, rather than in the two folders.
  • An external hard drive (vs. a USB stick) won't work for some reason.
Bummer they got rid of that cool vintage light bulb radio interface, not that I really use it much (I'm using CarPlay 90% of the time).
Thank you for sharing your experience with the software update for your Kia. It's great to hear that you were able to successfully complete the update using a USB drive formatted as ExFAT on your Mac. Your tips about placing all the update files into the main directory of the USB drive and using a USB stick instead of an external hard drive are also helpful for others who may be updating their Kia software.

It's unfortunate to hear that the vintage light bulb radio interface has been removed, but it's good to know that you're mostly using CarPlay anyway. Thank you again for sharing your experience and tips with the community.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts