Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I'm going to snow country in a couple of weeks and decided to look at the owner's manual for this. On page 187 (USA), the manual says, "Do not mount tire chains on vehicles equiped with aluminum wheels; snow chains may cause damage to the wheels. If snow chains must be used, use fabric-type chains for 19 inch tires..." On page 188, the manual says, "Fabric-type chains must be used on the vehicle with 19 inch (235/55R19) tires." I was about to pick up some chains when I saw this. Anyone have any info on this?

TIA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snow tires.... Or take another car. Don't use chains or socks. They aren't designed for this car. Not for your intended purpose.
Let me clarify. When I say snow-country, I mean to an area that gets more snow than where I am (none at all), but the roads should be relatively clear other than through the mountain passes. So basically, I'll go through a relatively short passage, say 30~35 miles that may have snow. The manual definitely recommends chains if I must use them. Having a complete set of snow tires is not an option at the moment.

Better yet, head south and don't stop until your tires get stuck in a sandy beach. At least then you can enjoy being stranded. 😅
LOL, when the weather gets warmer!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If snow tires are not an option, then bring a small shovel. Do not put on any other traction device. Chains are a no no, especially with these delicate rims. Don't tie anything around them. Perhaps think about weighing down the back with some salt bags.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts