Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to find out what the sizes are for all speakers on the 2022 Carnival SX are. I want to change all speakers if that is possible. I am not happy with the sound quality of the factory speakers.

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Hello,

I am looking to find out what the sizes are for all speakers on the 2022 Carnival SX are. I want to change all speakers if that is possible. I am not happy with the sound quality of the factory speakers.

Thank you all in advance
Just changing the speakers may not make as big a difference as you'd hope. Typically, you need to upgrade the factory amp as well to properly power aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
First of all, you need to do more than just 'change the speakers'. Are you going to do it yourself? if not, the pro installer will know exactly the measurements and the exact replacement. Then you need to power those new speaker with the right Amp (like the other poster stated). They will need to go under your seat or somewhere on the trunk. It's not worth it to me, unless you have $3-$5K, which how much a new sound system will likely cost if you do it right.

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
Hello,

Thank you all in advance
Can you describe what you aren't happy about with the factory speakers? If it's a factory defect, you may want to explore that option first because I believe you are the first to complain about the audio quality. (Usually I'm the first to complain about audio quality in a $50K plus vehicle). :)

That said, before replacing a bunch of speakers and potentially ending up with undesirable results, you may want to consider a more metered approach. First, if you haven't already, adjust the EQ to drive more clarity from the speakers. I find that 500-1K Hz are almost always overdriven in cars whereas the 5K+ are underdriven. Bass at < 100Hz, depending on your music choice could be underdriven as well. With the Carnival I was able to tweak the EQ enough that it just didn't warrant replacing any speakers. That and I like the centerpointe sound setting for Sirius XM. Second, if that isn't enough try adding sound baffling material to enhance the current speakers. The amplifier does seem to not have a great amount of RMS wattage, so if you do end up replacing speakers, keep that in mind. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you describe what you aren't happy about with the factory speakers? If it's a factory defect, you may want to explore that option first because I believe you are the first to complain about the audio quality. (Usually I'm the first to complain about audio quality in a $50K plus vehicle). :)

That said, before replacing a bunch of speakers and potentially ending up with undesirable results, you may want to consider a more metered approach. First, if you haven't already, adjust the EQ to drive more clarity from the speakers. I find that 500-1K Hz are almost always overdriven in cars whereas the 5K+ are underdriven. Bass at < 100Hz, depending on your music choice could be underdriven as well. With the Carnival I was able to tweak the EQ enough that it just didn't warrant replacing any speakers. That and I like the centerpointe sound setting for Sirius XM. Second, if that isn't enough try adding sound baffling material to enhance the current speakers. The amplifier does seem to not have a great amount of RMS wattage, so if you do end up replacing speakers, keep that in mind. Good luck.
Mr. Sarharast,

Thanks for the good advise. There is virtually not a good bass output coming from this vehicle. I use mostly bluetooth audio and the sound coming from it even at high settings from both devices is very poor. I listen to mostly music from the 50's 60's and 70's. and the output is very poor. When I listen to more recent recording, they obviously sound louder and crisper. I just want to get a better crisper sound from older recordings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, you need to do more than just 'change the speakers'. Are you going to do it yourself? if not, the pro installer will know exactly the measurements and the exact replacement. Then you need to power those new speaker with the right Amp (like the other poster stated). They will need to go under your seat or somewhere on the trunk. It's not worth it to me, unless you have $3-$5K, which how much a new sound system will likely cost if you do it right.

Hello,

I got a quote from an installer for about $2000.00. But I want to be able to choose and buy my own speakers, not the ones the installer would suggest. Usually they will sell you whatever will make them the most money. That is why I am looking for the size of the speakers.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Mr. Sarharast,

Thanks for the good advise. There is virtually not a good bass output coming from this vehicle. I use mostly bluetooth audio and the sound coming from it even at high settings from both devices is very poor. I listen to mostly music from the 50's 60's and 70's. and the output is very poor. When I listen to more recent recording, they obviously sound louder and crisper. I just want to get a better crisper sound from older recordings.
Sounds like you're trying to use the EQ to match a sound you heard from another stereo system. That will always lead to disappointment.

Also, you should never max out any of the EQ settings as that will cause clipping of the signal and will make things sound worse. EQ settings should be tweaked in small increments for minor adjustments in frequency response. Set everything back to zero and give your ears (really, your brain) a few days to adjust before making any additional tweaks. When you do make a change, only make adjustments 2 clicks at a time and then listen to various songs to see how they're impacted before making more adjustments.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like you're trying to use the EQ to match a sound you heard from another stereo system. That will always lead to disappointment.

Also, you should never max out any of the EQ settings as that will cause clipping of the signal and will make things sound worse. EQ settings should be tweaked in small increments for minor adjustments in frequency response. Set everything back to zero and give your ears (really, your brain) a few days to adjust before making any additional tweaks. When you do make a change, only make adjustments 2 clicks at a time and then listen to various songs to see how they're impacted before making more adjustments.
You also mentioned that you mainly listen through bluetooth. Try connection to the system USB. People have reported better sound quality that way.

On a separate note, Kia should have offered the SX trim with the upgraded sound system or an option to upgrade. Many people prefer/need the 8 seats option, so they cannot opt for the SXP, but should have the option to have a better sound system (and homelink, sunroof etc.) but I think that was discussed in many other threads before. I just hope someone from Kia is reading this forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You also mentioned that you mainly listen through bluetooth. Try connection to the system USB. People have reported better sound quality that way.

On a separate note, Kia should have offered the SX trim with the upgraded sound system or an option to upgrade. Many people prefer/need the 8 seats option, so they cannot opt for the SXP, but should have the option to have a better sound system (and homelink, sunroof etc.) but I think that was discussed in many other threads before. I just hope someone from Kia is reading this forum.
Hello,

I tried with the direct USB connection and I get the same output. I went to a Kia dealership and a clerk actually showed me an actual front speaker, I was surprised of how cheap the unit looked. In this day and age they are still stocking some cars with speakers that belong in a car from the 1990's. Not only that each speaker are sold by KIA for $84.00 each!! Not for the pair. He was not able to provide me with the sizes but gave a pages with all the part numbers for each speaker and schematics of where they are actually located on both the SX and the Prestige. If anyone wants those pages I will be more than happy to email them to you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
hmmm I have the SXP with the bose setup. Its not great but performs well with apple carplay. Not terribly strong bass. If anything is in the door pockets they rattle around a lot when I put up the volume.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the base audio package uses the same speakers as the the Bose package. I'd be willing to bet the Bose system is just an upgraded DSP sending a customized signal to the speakers.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Hello,

I went to a Kia dealership and a clerk actually showed me an actual front speaker, I was surprised of how cheap the unit looked. In this day and age they are still stocking some cars with speakers that belong in a car from the 1990's.
This is totally normal and expected, but most people are surprised when they see it. I spent 10 years working with car audio equipment and the factory speakers are definitely cheap and not flashy. But, I should also caution you that sound quality is not determined by how pretty the speakers are. Take the covers off professional grade DJ equipment or even PA or theater systems and you'll see pretty basic looking materials.

Yes, a cheap BUILT speaker will typically sound worse than a high quality speaker, but you truly can't judge a speaker by it's looks alone. All that being said, a factory system will never satisfy someone who wants more than the system can offer, so feel free to start upgrading to your heart's desire. Just know that changing one single component is likely not enough, because these parts do work together as a complete system and should be upgraded as a system too. Let us know what hurdles you come across as upgrading modern audio systems has become a complete PITA with all the safety and comfort integrations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the base audio package uses the same speakers as the the Bose package. I'd be willing to bet the Bose system is just an upgraded DSP sending a customized signal to the speakers.
As Sdj said the system on the SPX is OK but not great, so you might be right about that. It is definitely enough for me and my family, but might not be for sound aficionados.
I also agree with everyone that cautioned that just changing speakers might not be enough. I would also read the warranty carefully to make sure that anything you do doesn't void it.

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
This is totally normal and expected, but most people are surprised when they see it. I spent 10 years working with car audio equipment and the factory speakers are definitely cheap and not flashy. But, I should also caution you that sound quality is not determined by how pretty the speakers are. Take the covers off professional grade DJ equipment or even PA or theater systems and you'll see pretty basic looking materials.

Yes, a cheap BUILT speaker will typically sound worse than a high quality speaker, but you truly can't judge a speaker by it's looks alone. All that being said, a factory system will never satisfy someone who wants more than the system can offer, so feel free to start upgrading to your heart's desire. Just know that changing one single component is likely not enough, because these parts do work together as a complete system and should be upgraded as a system too. Let us know what hurdles you come across as upgrading modern audio systems has become a complete PITA with all the safety and comfort integrations.
One of the things people overlook is that while the speakers are one component (along with the amp and music source and connections), the speaker container (box) has so much more to do with the sound. Cars are notorious for being difficult to avoid standing waves or something simpler like rattling sounds and weird frequency spikes and dips due to container size and shape. You can't just get the golden rule speaker box size in a car with an appropriate port size and length (if you go that direction). You have compartment constraints which cause so many problems. Dynamat and similar materials can help with some of the bigger problems but unless you are willing to mold a speaker compartment in your car and add sound deadening, non reflective acoustical glass, you just aren't going to match a home system or even closer to a good pair of headphones.

Back to @Pellerano120 issue, I was recall that in the 50's and 60's that recording equipment typically peaked at around 6K hz, so you may be hearing a soft and shallow response past that, that could be exacerbated by EQ and potentially lack of dedicated mid/tweeters (I'm unfamiliar with the audio system in the SX as compared to the SXP). If you find it acceptable for more modern day music, you may want to poke further at tweaking the EQ for older recordings. $2K is a lot to spend to listen to music. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm all ears regarding upgrading factory SX sound system. It's definitely not as bad as some I've had in the past, but coming from Mazda CX9 with Bose sound system I was pretty disappointed. Wondering if it's possible to cross reference with SX P system using factory microfiche.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm all ears regarding upgrading factory SX sound system. It's definitely not as bad as some I've had in the past, but coming from Mazda CX9 with Bose sound system I was pretty disappointed. Wondering if it's possible to cross reference with SX P system using factory microfiche.
Well the SX prestige comes with 3 additional speakers, an amp and a sub. The SX has the paces for these additional items. I Think the SX has great potential for a nice sound upgrade for those that want to spend the money. I will be replacing the mains speakers in the near future.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Well the SX prestige comes with 3 additional speakers, an amp and a sub. The SX has the paces for these additional items. I Think the SX has great potential for a nice sound upgrade for those that want to spend the money. I will be replacing the mains speakers in the near future.
This doesn't sound right. Where are these extra speakers mounted? Especially the subwoofer?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
There are three on the dash. Sub, I think is in the boot.
The base speaker package has 3 on the dash as well. I am nearly 99% sure there is no sub anywhere in the SXP though. There's simply no place to properly fit one unless the SXP doesn't come with a spare tire tool kit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts