Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving down the mountain highway about 60mph, pulled behind a jeep with oversized tires, and Whack!!! I immediately said crap. A rock flew up from the tire and hit my windshield right at the top where it immediately created an impact spot on the glass and front edge of roof. As I continued driving, very ticked off that my new baby just got its first bruise, the windshield crack started growing straight down the glass. By the time I got home an hour later, the crack had become a 16ish inch line straight down from center. The injured Carnival sat overnight and then when we got up to take the kids to school in the morning, the once straight line had somehow forked into an equal left and right direction. Now the crack made it personal. It had somehow spread to the right and left directions about 14ish inches right into the driver and passenger’s line of sight.
The dealership and insurance were contacted today to find out there are only 11 Carnival OEM windshields available in the entire United States. None of them anywhere near the East coast. So with shipping, installation, and recalibration the cost will be $1200 and approx a 1 week wait for shipping.
I am definitely thankful for the lower $250 deductible we went with on insurance.
The lack of parts is a bit of a concern now given the power lift gate just stopped working tonight.
Despite the setbacks, I still love my beauty!

Liquid Water Tints and shades Sky Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
427 Posts
Terrible luck! I specifically chose to pay the extra $5 for a $0 glass deductible for this exact reason. Glass gets chipped and cracked regularly, so I don't want to pay $500 every time it happens.

One thing I need to check with my insurance company is will they also cover the cost of replacing any window films I had applied? My windshield is fine now, but if I pay to get a clear UV film applied or a tinted brow, will the cost of replacing that film be covered in a windshield replacement claim?

·
Super Moderator
353 Posts
We had to replace our windshield back in May, just a few days after getting it. It was a real pain to find a place to replace it and it took nearly a week to get the parts in stock. The only positive is that they were able to replace it in a parking lot and recalibrate the camera in one shot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stupid ass Jeep. I would be POed. Get some damn rear mud flaps so you don't damage other people's car. Just like stupid construction dumptrucks that can't contain their rock loads.

·
Registered
2022, ultra silver, SX Carnival
7 Posts
I'm also part of the cracked windshield Carnival club. Mine was a highway hit driving about 120km/hr and a rock hit at the base of the windshield near the driver side A pillar. Couldn't see the chip impact from the drivers seat but it did immediately create a large crack. Here in Canada, the quoted replacement cost for the windshield is a staggering $2500 plus labour to install. My insurance deductable for the claim is $200. Expecting that the lead time for the windshield is 4 weeks.
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving down the mountain highway about 60mph, pulled behind a jeep with oversized tires, and Whack!!! I immediately said crap. A rock flew up from the tire and hit my windshield right at the top where it immediately created an impact spot on the glass and front edge of roof. As I continued driving, very ticked off that my new baby just got its first bruise, the windshield crack started growing straight down the glass. By the time I got home an hour later, the crack had become a 16ish inch line straight down from center. The injured Carnival sat overnight and then when we got up to take the kids to school in the morning, the once straight line had somehow forked into an equal left and right direction. Now the crack made it personal. It had somehow spread to the right and left directions about 14ish inches right into the driver and passenger’s line of sight.
The dealership and insurance were contacted today to find out there are only 11 Carnival OEM windshields available in the entire United States. None of them anywhere near the East coast. So with shipping, installation, and recalibration the cost will be $1200 and approx a 1 week wait for shipping.
I am definitely thankful for the lower $250 deductible we went with on insurance.
The lack of parts is a bit of a concern now given the power lift gate just stopped working tonight.

View attachment 554

View attachment 554
I am also part of this club! SXP with a small glass dent on the left. Then while driving down the road a week later suddenly a large crack appeared on the right top and kept growing. The window repair company has no idea when a replacement will be available. Maybe a defect?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
427 Posts
I am also part of this club! SXP with a small glass dent on the left. Then while driving down the road a week later suddenly a large crack appeared on the right top and kept growing. The window repair company has no idea when a replacement will be available. Maybe a defect?
Might just be the stresses caused by driving and temperature fluctuations. As you go over dips and bumps, the vehicle's frame does twist a little. That twisting can cause the cracks to grow in the windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I have been avoiding driving following trucks to avoid flying rocks. Last time my rental got chipped by rock, then after then I asked my insurance to add 0 deduct for glass. Don’t want to pay 500 deduct for rock mishap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My SX windshield cracked back in June. I’ve been waiting for my glass shop to receive an OEM replacement windshield for 3 months. He called the dealership a couple days ago and they don’t have a clue when it will be delivered. If you check Safelite’s website, they have aftermarket windshields available but cannot guarantee that they are the same quality as the factory glass. I’ll keep waiting………

1 - 11 of 11 Posts