Kia Carnival Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the SX Prestige and curious if anyone knows the recommended break-in period/mileage for it, thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got the SX Prestige and curious if anyone knows the recommended break-in period/mileage for it, thanks!
Check out page 1-5 of your manual.

For the first 600 miles, don’t race the engine, don’t maintain one single engine speed continuously, try to keep rpm between 2000 and 4000, don’t make hard stops; also, don’t tow a trailer for the first 1200 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I come off as ignorant but what does it exactly mean?
A new engine is broken in by following specific driving guidelines during the first few hours of its use. The goal of modern engine break-ins is the settling of piston rings into an engine's cylinder wall. A cylinder wall is not perfectly smooth but has a deliberate slight roughness to help oil adhesion. As the engine is powered up, the piston rings between the pistons and cylinder wall will begin to seal against the wall's small ridges.

Got it from Break-in (mechanical run-in) - Wikipedia

Check out page 1-5 of your manual.

For the first 600 miles, don’t race the engine, don’t maintain one single engine speed continuously, try to keep rpm between 2000 and 4000, don’t make hard stops; also, don’t tow a trailer for the first 1200 miles.
Perfect, thank you - I should stop ignoring the manual too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A new engine is broken in by following specific driving guidelines during the first few hours of its use. The goal of modern engine break-ins is the settling of piston rings into an engine's cylinder wall. A cylinder wall is not perfectly smooth but has a deliberate slight roughness to help oil adhesion. As the engine is powered up, the piston rings between the pistons and cylinder wall will begin to seal against the wall's small ridges.

Got it from Break-in (mechanical run-in) - Wikipedia

Perfect, thank you - I should stop ignoring the manual too.
Thank you for that information!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts