Kia Carnival Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make it three. Happens around 40-45; feels almost like the engine cuts out for a split second. Doesn't seem to be triggering any codes, and I can't reproduce it often enough to take it into the dealer.
Make it four. Happens when lightly accelerating around 45-50 regardless of profile and mode and Speedway or Costco gas. Have brought it to dealership and they said, without any research, that maybe Kia would put out a service bulletin at some point. I agree with another member who said it seems like a fuel pump issue.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
493 Posts
Based on what I'm seeing, it sounds like the transmission might be hunting for the right gear, almost like you're riding on the edge of a shift point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Based on what I'm seeing, it sounds like the transmission might be hunting for the right gear, almost like you're riding on the edge of a shift point.
This is what I'm starting to wonder too, especially with the reports that it seems to go away in different drive modes. I've also got a check engine light indicating some issue at an injector, but...I'm wondering if that's just unrelated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my car gets frozen at several different speed levels.it has happened after driving for 2 hours, it has happened after just 10 minutes of driving.when trying to pass another vehicle the carnival will first accelerate and then it will just freeze/lockout at a certain speed.both the tach and speedometer will be frozen for sometimes up to a minute before it gives the speed control back to the driver.had a check engine light at 2000 mile, dealer found nothing to diagnose.after that we have had three trips back to dealer trying to fix this phantom problem.have driven with their tech, had computer hooked to vehicle but they can not duplicate the problem to fix it.have several videos of these occurrences and the deaaler has seen them.spoke to corporate last week concerning states lemon law and started that process.love the vehicle but it is now unsafe to drive because i never know when this failure will occur putting my family at great danger.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
493 Posts
my car gets frozen at several different speed levels.it has happened after driving for 2 hours, it has happened after just 10 minutes of driving.when trying to pass another vehicle the carnival will first accelerate and then it will just freeze/lockout at a certain speed.both the tach and speedometer will be frozen for sometimes up to a minute before it gives the speed control back to the driver.had a check engine light at 2000 mile, dealer found nothing to diagnose.after that we have had three trips back to dealer trying to fix this phantom problem.have driven with their tech, had computer hooked to vehicle but they can not duplicate the problem to fix it.have several videos of these occurrences and the deaaler has seen them.spoke to corporate last week concerning states lemon law and started that process.love the vehicle but it is now unsafe to drive because i never know when this failure will occur putting my family at great danger.
That's crazy! I hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here.. 2022 SX-P. In ECO or SMART mode, with RPMs between 1300 and 1900, under light acceleration pedal pressure, it feels like the drivetrain (torque converter) is shuddering or engine is misfiring. Does not duplicate in SPORT mode. Clearly a problem as many of us are having the same issue, so how do we get KIA to take it seriously and issue a Service Bulletin? To me, it really feels like more of a torque converter shudder than anything else. Unfortunately that can be caused by not enough fluid pressure or really dirty fluid, neither of which any of us should be seeing yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: I went to the dealership, explained the exact circumstances I feel the shudder... specifically, that under steady but light accelerator pressure and increasing load (such as a slight incline over rise) when the vehicle is in like 7th gear, speed at like 40-45mph... Ideal place to test would clearly be to take it for a test drive around the block then, right? (sigh) Oh dealership, why do you waste everyone's time? I got the same run around with too new, don't have documented instances to refer to yet, no code thrown... so I replied my $50k vehicle is driving like crap, so there has to be another answer besides shoulder shrugging. Service manager is supposed to reach out to Regional Rep to get approval to troubleshoot my symptoms while paying for my rental, as it could take a couple of days to diagnose. Anybody else making any progress on the diagnosis??? I'm seeing some other threads about injector misfires, bad injector, and code P219D for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine was "a bad injector" that ended up being a replacement of all 3 injectors on the passenger bank. Local Kia dealer set up a call with Kia Techline and made the determination on the first day. It then took them three weeks to actually get a part. During the first 2.5 of those three weeks, no one had any idea where to get the injectors or if there even were any in the US...to the degree that Kia National Customer Service told me that I should review my warranty coverage and be prepared to have the car lemon-lawed. Not exaggerating...this is what the rep I was dealing with told me. The dealership was useless - although, in their defense, they were probably getting the same runaround that I was...but they didn't do much to make us comfortable. We got a Kia K5 to drive in the interim, and I had to beg for that. "Kia doesn't 'do' loaners," as my service advisor explained it, and they would not rent us anything, despite me arguing that a 4-passenger sedan (albeit a reasonably nice one) was hardly a substitute for an 8-passenger EX trim Carnival. The whole process was...a nightmare, frankly, in terms of new car ownership. Miraculously, "the injector" showed up 3 days before week 4 started, and the dealership got everything installed quickly. Only when I picked it up did I see the paperwork, and a different service advisor confirmed that three of the six injectors had been replaced. It's been three weeks now since we collected it and the driving issues are resolved - no check engine light, no stuttering. It's been lovely to drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have the same issue with my 1 month old EX with 1800miles. First I thought it could be the road, but not all the roads at the same time. Recently noticed that when driving with 1000-2000 rpm. It does not happen when accelerating, just when driving with the same speed 40-60 mph. The car is shuddering and feels likee engine is misfiring or something with fuel injection or ECU. This makes me really unhappy with this new car. Started to search if I am crazy or so someone else experience the same and looks like the problem is known.
anyone in mid Florida was able to resolve it?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts