Kia Carnival Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX Prestige
45 Posts
Hey all!

Go to this website and enter your VIN to see if your carnival is eligible for IN CAR WIFI CAPABILITY. it's finally here and I'm so excited that this is happening!

This is awesome news. However, VERIZON does not have a Car-WiFi plan yet available for Kia in their webpage. I think we will need to wait a bit more for this to happen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m glad to see I wasnt the only one with these issues. I wish they were capable of doing an over the air update.

My car isn’t recognizing the usb stick. But I think it’s not formatted correctly.

The only reason I want this is for the 2nd row TVs to automatically connect when the car starts. Has anyone tested that? This would save this guy a lot of stress. If it doesn’t work I’ll just continue to use my phone as a hot spot. My little rascal can wait a few minutes more for his shows. At least its Voltron. I can’t even be mad at him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone tried installing the software to you Apple iCloud acct and then connecting phone and opening the file to see if it could update that way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone tried installing the software to you Apple iCloud acct and then connecting phone and opening the file to see if it could update that way?
The car only recognizes properly formatted mass storage devices. The phone does not fall under that category.

You already have to use a computer to download the files anyway… an $8 USB stick shouldn’t be hard to come by.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is anyone having issues with the usb drive not being recognized by the car? I've tried different file formats and it keeps saying the drive cannot be found. I've also tried other drives just to make sure it wasn't damaged.

Also I missed this...

According to the FAQ the hotspot needs to be turned on every time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is anyone having issues with the usb drive not being recognized by the car? I've tried different file formats and it keeps saying the drive cannot be found. I've also tried other drives just to make sure it wasn't damaged.

Also I missed this...

What format are you using?

Are you sure you have it plugged in to the correct USB port?

Are you going to Setup > General > SW info/update, and then hitting “update” there after you’ve plugged in the USB stick?

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts

Also I missed this...

Try to download the updater tool to download to the USB stick first. It will may fail but before it fails, it will format your USB stick to the correct standard (or it did so on my Mac). Then you can redownload to your local disk and copy the contents over to the USB stick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What format are you using?

Are you sure you have it plugged in to the correct USB port?

Are you going to Setup > General > SW info/update, and then hitting “update” there after you’ve plugged in the USB stick?
1. FAT32, and exFAT. I’m using mac disk utility to do this. I’m going to try a pc soon and try that installer and see if it makes any difference.
2,3,4. Yes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try to download the updater tool to download to the USB stick first. It will fail but before it fails, it will format your USB stick to the correct standard (or it did so on my Mac). Then you can redownload to your local disk and copy the contents over to the USB stick.
I’m curious why you’re having problems using the updater in the intended way… using my Mac, I’ve chosen the 64 GB USB stick as the download destination for my update multiple times for both my Telluride and Palisade. No issues or failures whatsoever.

Reactions: Mdx0

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m curious why you’re having problems using the updater in the intended way… using my Mac, I’ve chosen the 64 GB USB stick as the download destination for my update multiple times for both my Telluride and Palisade. No issues or failures whatsoever.
Ditto. It would have been nice to be able to just the option to connect to my home WiFi and do an OTA update Whatever. Won’t change the taste of mustard.

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
It's likely that my download speeds are faster than the speed which my USB stick can write so it ends up failing from a buffer overflow. I tried a 64GB stick and a 256GB stick with the same results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That worked! I doubted it. It must be the way the app formats the drive.
Thank you so much for the tip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Half way there. I actually realized I have an old fire stick. I’m just going to plug that in and call it a day.

Edit: I also have an older chromecast. That should allow my wife to control the screen from the front seat. I’m going to give it a shot over the weekend and see how both work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked and didn’t notice anything different. I was hoping some new UI improvements. Anyone else find anything?

Edit: Fire stick is it then. Works really well plus a remote instead of dirty child hands all over the touch screen. I'll still put the chrome cast in the other screen and offer guests the option to not listen to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anyone had that happen to them?
Used a Mac but dowloaded directly to the external drive.
The navigation app suggested the Standard-Class 5GenW Navigation version - is that what you were all downloading?

Computer Output device Light Rectangle Personal computer

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
399 Posts
Anyone had that happen to them?
Used a Mac but dowloaded directly to the external drive.
The navigation app suggested the Standard-Class 5GenW Navigation version - is that what you were all downloading?

View attachment 551
I think the instructions say the install will FAIL if you download to an external drive. For some reason, the updater must download to your internal hard drive first, then use the updater tool to transfer the files to an external drive. Takes twice as long, but that's the right way to make it work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the instructions say the install will FAIL if you download to an external drive. For some reason, the updater must download to your internal hard drive first, then use the updater tool to transfer the files to an external drive. Takes twice as long, but that's the right way to make it work.
Yeah, I tried to do it with a SD card plugged into an SD card reader. I used a mac, all the files were there, but the Carnival didn't pick it up. I called consumer help and they told me that it must be a 64GB thumb drive. I bought a $20 one from Staples and it worked just fine. So, I don't know why - you'd think it would be the same - but it just wants a thumb drive.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts