Kia Carnival Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while and I find it very helpful so I would to thank all of you for your contributions.

I have placed an order for a black, tuscan interior SX (canadian) about 2 months ago. However with gas prices continuing to rise I find myself questioning if it is worth waiting for a hybrid/phev version. I currently drive a 2020 grand caravan so I am able to wait longer for a hybrid/phev version.

I am curious if anyone has any insight/advice/thoughts about buying a gas version or holding off for a hybrid/phev version?

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while and I find it very helpful so I would to thank all of you for your contributions.

I have placed an order for a black, tuscan interior SX (canadian) about 2 months ago. However with gas prices continuing to rise I find myself questioning if it is worth waiting for a hybrid/phev version. I currently drive a 2020 grand caravan so I am able to wait longer for a hybrid/phev version.

I am curious if anyone has any insight/advice/thoughts about buying a gas version or holding off for a hybrid/phev version?

thanks in advance
Nothing other than rumors and speculation on when the hybrid and all electric versions of the Carnival will arrive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you can afford to wait, it should be well worth it. With gasoline prices hitting the roof, at numbers unseen, and trending upwards for the foreseeable future, it doesn't cut it anymore for a vehicle with 21 mpg combined. I just hope Kia put a beefier battery pack in the HEV/PHEV variant, not the one in the current Sorento/Santa Fe - the combined 226 horses in those vehicles (HEV) nwill be the lowest in the segment, it will be pokey given the heftier weight of the Carnival. 2022 Toyota Sienna has a combined 246 horses, currently the least in the segment.. To be trully competitive with the Sienna, Kia needs to up the combined mpg to at least 30.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing other than rumors and speculation on when the hybrid and all electric versions of the Carnival will arrive.

Thanks for the article link. I’d imagine at this point in time it’s safe to assume that if KIA has plans to hybrid or electrify the carnival it probably would take longer than expected.

With the current direction the automobile world is heading I believe KIA will electrify or hybrid the carnival. But what do I know???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you can afford to wait, it should be well worth it. With gasoline prices hitting the roof, at numbers unseen, and trending upwards for the foreseeable future, it doesn't cut it anymore for a vehicle with 21 mpg combined. I just hope Kia put a beefier battery pack in the HEV/PHEV variant, not the one in the current Sorento/Santa Fe - the combined 226 horses in those vehicles (HEV) nwill be the lowest in the segment, it will be pokey given the heftier weight of the Carnival. 2022 Toyota Sienna has a combined 246 horses, currently the least in the segment.. To be trully competitive with the Sienna, Kia needs to up the combined mpg to at least 30.
Thanks for the reply and you bring up an interesting point about having a more powerful battery pack. I never thought about that.

My 2020 grand caravan is well optioned (by grand caravan standards) so yes I can afford to wait. Its funny I told myself that my next van purchase is going to be a hybrid however, after testing the carnival SX I put a deposit down on one.

Regarding current hybrid options. The sienna doesn’t interest me and I was very close to getting a limited hybrid Pacifica but the price difference between them would eat up any savings in gas. Also I strongly prefer the lane centering in the Carnival.

thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
If a hybrid/phev option will be available I hope they don't dramatically reduce the engine size and power output. A big vehicle like this with less than 250hp might as well get the hybrid Sienna. Hope we hear more about the 2023 by this Spring/Summer. I'd be happy if they offered more flexibility with their trim levels and options because the Canada EX+ trim level seems like the sweet spot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a hybrid/phev option will be available I hope they don't dramatically reduce the engine size and power output. A big vehicle like this with less than 250hp might as well get the hybrid Sienna. Hope we hear more about the 2023 by this Spring/Summer. I'd be happy if they offered more flexibility with their trim levels and options because the Canada EX+ trim level seems like the sweet spot.
[/QUOTE

Yes I agree with you regarding the engine size, power output and timeline. I actually wouldn't mind hearing sooner.... I really like the top SX or SXP trim, I just wished the middle row seats could be folded up a bit or even removed for the odd time and finally I'd love an anti fatigue driver seat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No telling how long it'll take to bring out the hybrid. Just by a Carnival now and maybe trade it in when the hybrid comes out. It may be 2-4 years.
Well I did order one at the end of December but who knows how long it will take to land. Feel like it could be a year out. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that someone backs out of their order and one becomes available.

it’s funny I find myself really close to buying a plug in pinnacle Pacifica and then maybe trade that in when the carnival hybrid comes out. I’ve been following the Pacifica forum and there do seem to be a high number of issues. I think with the Pacifica you have an increased potential for reliability/quality issues when compared to the carnival.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts