Kia Carnival Forum banner

201 - 220 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like it’s becoming that even getting them at MSRP is a ‘good deal’. For that kind of markup you could fly to any part of the country to pay msrp for the vehicle, pay for it to be flatbedded to your place, and fly back all while saving thousands over a $10k markup. Good luck on your search!
This is what everyone was doing with Tellurides last year and Kia of Muncie Indiana. Those guys moved so many Telly’s customers or otherwise that they got. Ore and more allocations. They sold at MSRP and shipped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good points but I do see in other markets The 8 seat version (and even more seats) can be had with various of the SX-P upgrades so not sure any new tooling would be required,
Are the top features available with the 8-seater in Canada?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Finally got the Carnival SX last Friday. After agreeing to buy it at MSRP back at the end of March and delivery dates getting pushed back, it finally came on May 20th. The dealer pulled the old switchroo with a mandatory additional $1.8k charge right before I took delivery. It was very annoying, going back on their word, even though we had agreed to an MSRP price. They were very ok with me walking away (which I did not), since they have just sold their other SX +5k over MSRP (+the 1.8k fee). I called a couple of other DFW dealers and they were starting at around $8k to $10k over MSRP. The dealership I went to was Vanguard Kia of Arlington. Mind you, there were almost no cars on the KIA lot - they are very supply constrained. The finance guy who works also at their GM dealership told me that he had just finished a customer who bought a Yukon Denali at close to $20k over MSRP. I ended up getting the 1.9% APR for 60 months, with 0 down. Also got GAP insurance (around $11+ per month), which I plan to cancel after the first year or two.

Will post my thoughts on the car in another post. I got the Astra Blue with the Tuscan Umbra seats.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
94 Posts
Finally got the Carnival SX last Friday. After agreeing to buy it at MSRP back at the end of March and delivery dates getting pushed back, it finally came on May 20th. The dealer pulled the old switchroo with a mandatory additional $1.8k charge right before I took delivery. It was very annoying, going back on their word, even though we had agreed to an MSRP price. They were very ok with me walking away (which I did not), since they have just sold their other SX +5k over MSRP (+the 1.8k fee). I called a couple of other DFW dealers and they were starting at around $8k to $10k over MSRP. The dealership I went to was Vanguard Kia of Arlington. Mind you, there were almost no cars on the KIA lot - they are very supply constrained. The finance guy who works also at their GM dealership told me that he had just finished a customer who bought a Yukon Denali at close to $20k over MSRP. I ended up getting the 1.9% APR for 60 months, with 0 down. Also got GAP insurance (around $11+ per month), which I plan to cancel after the first year or two.

Will post my thoughts on the car in another post. I got the Astra Blue with the Tuscan Umbra seats.
I'm in the same boat. I paid a $1k deposit to my local dealer to lock in my SX at MSRP, but since then, nearly a month has passed and every dealer in the Houston area has started adding 5-10k over MSRP for these vehicles. My plan to combat such a practice is to bring a print-out of the dealer's mediocre rating on Google and reminding them of the power of user reviews. Hopefully, it won't come to this, but at this point, just like houses, it's a seller's market so I've gotta do everything I can to retain leverage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
If you have in writing the locked in price and they are changing the terms of the contract, you can threaten litigation for breach of contract / contract infringement in addition to taking them to town on social media. I would think most small claims courts would be pretty receptive to providing relief.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I'm surprised to hear these stories about cut-throat mark-ups in the US market. Are these for custom orders? Can you walk to a dealer and pick up stock inventory at MSRP? I ask this because there already a steady inventory build up here in Ontario (Canada) all selling at MSRP (for example a quick search on Autotrader shows 20 EX+ and 4 SX Carnivals), no mark-ups, with even the possibility for a bit of negotiation if one is buying from inventory. It's insane buying at $5-10K mark=up for a vehicle that has no cetain residuals in 8-10 year down the road, for all we know the Carnival might depreciate similarly than the outgoing Sedona, the mark-up costs is like flushing cash down the toilet at sale time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agreed on that. Inventory all around has been terrible, not just a the Kia Carnival but almost every other car. Dealerships have started parking their cars slanted across multiple parking spots to give an impression that the lot has more cars than it does.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I paid a $1k deposit to my local dealer to lock in my SX at MSRP, but since then, nearly a month has passed and every dealer in the Houston area has started adding 5-10k over MSRP for these vehicles. My plan to combat such a practice is to bring a print-out of the dealer's mediocre rating on Google and reminding them of the power of user reviews. Hopefully, it won't come to this, but at this point, just like houses, it's a seller's market so I've gotta do everything I can to retain leverage.
Try Your Auto Advocate. It helped me and I also did a bunch of research. I actually scored a great deal. Paid below MSRP with no taxes (thanks to the VA). Look into smaller towns. They almost always have good deals and no mark ups.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
94 Posts
I'm surprised to hear these stories about cut-throat mark-ups in the US market. Are these for custom orders? Can you walk to a dealer and pick up stock inventory at MSRP? I ask this because there already a steady inventory build up here in Ontario (Canada) all selling at MSRP (for example a quick search on Autotrader shows 20 EX+ and 4 SX Carnivals), no mark-ups, with even the possibility for a bit of negotiation if one is buying from inventory. It's insane buying at $5-10K mark=up for a vehicle that has no cetain residuals in 8-10 year down the road, for all we know the Carnival might depreciate similarly than the outgoing Sedona, the mark-up costs is like flushing cash down the toilet at sale time.
The carnival is front wheel drive only. Probably not as popular in Canada as it is in the US. Then again, dealer lots have a shortage of multiple models.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
94 Posts
Hi ...is there a lengthy wait time on delivery for the new Carnival in the USA? Its 6-8 months here in Australia.
I was quoted the same timeline if special ordering in the US. With that much time, I'd have a better chance finding the version I want at a local dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was quoted the same timeline if special ordering in the US. With that much time, I'd have a better chance finding the version I want at a local dealer.
Thanks for the info mine is not a special order just the listed top of the line which is called Platinum here. Sounds like the shortages are hitting all over.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For those that were able to purchase the car below MSRP, could you share how you were able to negotiate the price for the car that is in much demand and how much under did you get it for?

Also if you take the $750 rebate for their financing deal, how much up front fee comes with this financing And is there an early payoff penalty?
I did a lot of research on the car and how much it should be sold for. I used Your Auto Advocate for their email templates and marketplace reports. I paid below MSRP. Pretty good deal I think. Only thing I couldn't find or get is the invoice pricing.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX
94 Posts
Back in April, DeMontrond Kia in Houston, TX told me they had an Astra Blue SX with Gray Interior scheduled to arrive at their dealership in Mid-May. They told me I could put down a deposit to reserve it before anyone else. I agreed and waited. The first delivery date came and I was told the truck didn't arrive due to bad weather and would be delayed another week. The 2nd delivery date came and still no truck, but would be delayed another week. The 3rd delivery date came and still no truck, but they called "Kia Corporate" and confirmed the truck would be here the next week. The 4th delivery date came (a month later) and I get a call saying the car has arrived. I get to the dealership to take delivery and it's the WRONG COLOR! 🤬

I'm ticked at this point and demand to know what happened. No one can give me an answer and say there is no car with my desired color combination scheduled to arrive at all. Either someone was incompetent and didn't notice when it arrived a month ago and sold it, or they lied from day 1 and strung me along to keep me from buying elsewhere. Either way, I do not recommend working with them. I've heard nothing but good things from Fort Bend Kia just outside of Houston and would highly encourage anyone in the area to go there first.

There's more to this story, but that's the short version. I'll likely create a new thread to share my total buying experience once I finally get the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Back in April, DeMontrond Kia in Houston, TX told me they had an Astra Blue SX with Gray Interior scheduled to arrive at their dealership in Mid-May. They told me I could put down a deposit to reserve it before anyone else. I agreed and waited. The first delivery date came and I was told the truck didn't arrive due to bad weather and would be delayed another week. The 2nd delivery date came and still no truck, but would be delayed another week. The 3rd delivery date came and still no truck, but they called "Kia Corporate" and confirmed the truck would be here the next week. The 4th delivery date came (a month later) and I get a call saying the car has arrived. I get to the dealership to take delivery and it's the WRONG COLOR! 🤬

I'm ticked at this point and demand to know what happened. No one can give me an answer and say there is no car with my desired color combination scheduled to arrive at all. Either someone was incompetent and didn't notice when it arrived a month ago and sold it, or they lied from day 1 and strung me along to keep me from buying elsewhere. Either way, I do not recommend working with them. I've heard nothing but good things from Fort Bend Kia just outside of Houston and would highly encourage anyone in the area to go there first.

There's more to this story, but that's the short version. I'll likely create a new thread to share my total buying experience once I finally get the vehicle.
Yeah bet you were pretty bummed! I have the exact same color combo and love it...traveled out of state to get it at a great price and glad I did. Just saw this one posted in DFW that is well under MSRP if you are still looking. It says prestige but it's not. Might be worth checking out if you are still looking: New 2022 Kia Carnival SX Prestige Dallas Fort Worth | Clay Cooley Kia Irving N6084847

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·

Very similar experience with Murray Kia outside Philly. They took my deposit and after initially telling us we could have it back ended up not giving it back after weeks passed with no vehicle. Eventually had to dispute with our CC and they didn’t bother responding to Visa. Visa promptly gave us our money back. Kia dealerships (at least the sales department) seem to be the scum of the earth. There are some good ones but you really have to look hard to find them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Checked prices this afternoon with two dealers in South CA, one said “We do have a SX Prestige model now, the selling price will be 55,570.” Another one said “EX Carnival is 3000 above sticker”. I guess MSRP or few hundred dollars lower than MSRP is a good price.

201 - 220 of 246 Posts