Kia Carnival Forum banner
301 - 320 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival LX in Silky Silver
49 Posts
I placed my order with Arapahoe Kia in Colorado, $100 deposit, 8 months ETA, and estimated $1300-1400 shipping to SoCal. I dealt with Austin.
Congrats on your order! Hopefully it arrives quickly.

For the shipping, you might want to check out what other shippers are charging. I checked with Auto Transport Direct and used their quote to negotiate with Arapahoe to substantially lower their shipping.

In the end, Arapahoe charged $950 which was still $100 higher than the quote from Auto Transport Direct. We decided to pay the extra $100 for the convenience of having it all as part of the deal. Keep in mind, shipping rates vary depending upon when you’re trying to ship, so it may be different 8 months from now.

·
Registered
8 Posts

For the shipping, you might want to check out what other shippers are charging. I checked with Auto Transport Direct and used their quote to negotiate with Arapahoe to substantially lower their shipping.

In the end, Arapahoe charged $950 which was still $100 higher than the quote from Auto Transport Direct. We decided to pay the extra $100 for the convenience of having it all as part of the deal. Keep in mind, shipping rates vary depending upon when you’re trying to ship, so it may be different 8 months from now.
Thanks for the tip! Was your transport open or enclosed?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hello,

Did KIA Arapahoe handle all the paperwork for the registration in CA?
Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

Did KIA Arapahoe handle all the paperwork for the registration in CA?
Thank you
They collected the estimated sales tax and then sent the tax check along with the other paperwork via FedEx to our local DMV (tell Arapahoe which DMV location you want to use). Arapahoe has a title department that will process it about a week after you take ownership of the car. Make sure you ask them for the tracking number so you’ll know when your DMV receives it (having the tracking number also helps if the DMV claims they can’t find it).

Once it arrived at our DMV, I went there to complete the registration process, pay the registration fee, and have the car inspected (a California requirement for out of state vehicles).

FYI, even though your car is new, you’ll also need to get it smogged and bring the smog certificate. I found a deal on Groupon for my local smog shop and got it done for $35 + $8 certificate fee.

After we paid the registration, had the inspection, and filed all the paperwork, the DMV rep gave us our new plates and registration on the spot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They collected the estimated sales tax and then sent the tax check along with the other paperwork via FedEx to our local DMV (tell Arapahoe which DMV location you want to use). Arapahoe has a title department that will process it about a week after you take ownership of the car. Make sure you ask them for the tracking number so you’ll know when your DMV receives it (having the tracking number also helps if the DMV claims they can’t find it).

Once it arrived at our DMV, I went there to complete the registration process, pay the registration fee, and have the car inspected (a California requirement for out of state vehicles).

FYI, even though your car is new, you’ll also need to get it smogged and bring the smog certificate. I found a deal on Groupon for my local smog shop and got it done for $35 + $8 certificate fee.

After we paid the registration, had the inspection, and filed all the paperwork, the DMV rep gave us our new plates and registration on the spot.
Thank you so much for the thorough explanation. Much appreciate it. Did the dealership issue a temporary registration?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you to Todd111 and openwide for your help! I placed an order for the SX from Arapahoe Kia in Colorado through Cedric as well to be delivered to CA.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I tried to negotiate but they said it’s non negotiable. I can use my own transport if they come 1st

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried to negotiate but they said it’s non negotiable. I can use my own transport if they come 1st
I’m so sorry to hear that. When I purchased mine from them, they quoted me $1,850 to deliver it to me in Northern California but then dropped it to $950 after I told them I had a much lower quote from Auto Transport Direct. Even though it was $100 more through Arapahoe, I decided to use them for the convenience.

Hopefully, they’ll change their tune when your Carnival arrives. I’m sure they’d like to make SOME money of transport rather than having you use someone else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
T
I’m so sorry to hear that. When I purchased mine from them, they quoted me $1,850 to deliver it to me in Northern California but then dropped it to $950 after I told them I had a much lower quote from Auto Transport Direct. Even though it was $100 more through Arapahoe, I decided to use them for the convenience.

Hopefully, they’ll change their tune when your Carnival arrives. I’m sure they’d like to make SOME money of transport rather than having you use someone else.
Yes. Hopefully, they’ll change their tune. I got quote for $1,400 to deliver to Northern CA like openwide. They said I can use my own shipping company but I still have to pay $1,400 and they email refund me IF my shipping company comes first than theirs.

I had separate order from Gewake Kia. They charged $3,000 mark up. Will see which one is coming 1st. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
T

Yes. Hopefully, they’ll change their tune. I got quote for $1,400 to deliver to Northern CA like openwide. They said I can use my own shipping company but I still have to pay $1,400 and they email refund me IF my shipping company comes first than theirs.

I had separate order from Gewake Kia. They charged $3,000 mark up. Will see which one is coming 1st. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.
Good idea. A markup of $3k doesn’t seem too bad, especially considering it’s in California. Hopefully, you’d never need it but supposedly, California has better lemon laws than Colorado (from what I understand, lemon laws apply to whichever state you purchase your car from).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don’t know if anyone has already mentioned this here but I just came across this website:

Markups.org

This is a great resource. I suggest we all log in any calls, visits, or purchases so that everyone will know which dealers are charging markups and how much. I already logged in my purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep on looking for a better deal, might be even in your area. If we won’t give it to them they won’t be able to up-charge
I dealt with a dealer who wanted to charge a premium and tried to make me think that supply is crazy limited and I won’t find anyone who has the color I want bla bla.
Found a dealer just 30 miles away who sold it to me below MSRP
which dealer is it?
I am willing to fly to anywhere in the country to buy my carnival instead of paying hefty markup to my local dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts

So Kia Arapahoe notified me that my Carnival is arriving at their dealer in a couple weeks. They quoted $1600 for shipping which seems pretty high. I got online quotes from autotransportdirect.com and shiply.com and literally all bids that came back was $1000-1200 max. I tried to negotiate and they wouldn't budge. Obviously, the $400 isn't gonna break the deal for me but just a little weird why there is such a difference in quotes, unless they're purposely marking it up to make a few extra hundred from the deal.

Also Todd, when you bought yours from them, was there any surprise or hidden fees? Because I'm expecting it to just be MSRP + TTL + Shipping and that's it. Also do they wait until the car actually arrives on their lot before any paperwork can be initiated? I really want them to give me a final total now so I can have my credit union mail them the check now, instead of waiting until the car actually arrives on the lot ina couple weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So Kia Arapahoe notified me that my Carnival is arriving at their dealer in a couple weeks. They quoted $1600 for shipping which seems pretty high. I got online quotes from autotransportdirect.com and shiply.com and literally all bids that came back was $1000-1200 max. I tried to negotiate and they wouldn't budge. Obviously, the $400 isn't gonna break the deal for me but just a little weird why there is such a difference in quotes, unless they're purposely marking it up to make a few extra hundred from the deal.

Also Todd, when you bought yours from them, was there any surprise or hidden fees? Because I'm expecting it to just be MSRP + TTL + Shipping and that's it. Also do they wait until the car actually arrives on their lot before any paperwork can be initiated? I really want them to give me a final total now so I can have my credit union mail them the check now, instead of waiting until the car actually arrives on the lot ina couple weeks.
Arapahoe KIA called me last week and informed me that my car is arrived already. They told me it could takes 21 days to process the paperwork.I haven’t gotten anything yet and they didn’t say anything about the transport. They quoted me $1400 last time and I could use my own transport if my transport come first but I still have to pay $1400 and they will give me a refund if my own transport come first. But if their transport come first, I will have to use theirs and I don’t know if I cancel my own transport at that time. Arapahoe KIA will charge $700 on top of MSRP for their Standard dealer handling fee. I think CO has this law.

Also, if you are planning to financing, they don’t allow outside financing.

301 - 320 of 331 Posts